With Apple's 'iPhone 8' rumored to ditch home button, 'Galaxy S8' leak suggests Samsung fo...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    linkman said:
    Wow, this is not surprising -- Samsung copying Apple on a cell phone innovation. The predictable timeline: Samsung makes billions from it, Apple sues, Apple wins, the lawsuit gets appealed and the award decreased, Apple walks away with pennies, Samsung laughs.
    Samsung already innovated by getting rid of the side bezels. Now they are taking the obvious step by reducing the bottom bezel by following the likes of Motorola and removing the home button. I'm not sure how you think any of this has something to do with Apple, they are well known for having the worst screen to body ratios in the industry
    Sammy innovated? Haha. 

This is probsbly just another model in their lineup. Sammy Galaxy S 8, galaxy S 8 edge and galaxy s 8 home. That's real designing over there. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jungmark said:
    linkman said:
    Wow, this is not surprising -- Samsung copying Apple on a cell phone innovation. The predictable timeline: Samsung makes billions from it, Apple sues, Apple wins, the lawsuit gets appealed and the award decreased, Apple walks away with pennies, Samsung laughs.
    Samsung already innovated by getting rid of the side bezels. Now they are taking the obvious step by reducing the bottom bezel by following the likes of Motorola and removing the home button. I'm not sure how you think any of this has something to do with Apple, they are well known for having the worst screen to body ratios in the industry
    Sammy innovated? Haha. 

This is probsbly just another model in their lineup. Sammy Galaxy S 8, galaxy S 8 edge and galaxy s 8 home. That's real designing over there. 
    I was using the words of linkman. If he thinks Apple removing the home button is an innovation then no side bezels is too
  • Reply 23 of 27
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    This fetish with removing stuff... why remove a perfectly fine and intuitive home button?
    What's next? Removing the screen? The phone itself?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    gatorguy said:

The "idea" already was and is in use by several other Android OEM's and for (relatively) quite some time, since at least 2011. It's not new. Samsung is just mimicking what's already being done on other smartphones, one of the few companies who resisted dumping a physical home button. The "bigger is better" push is still going strong so home buttons gotta go.

Samsung just mimicking what's already being done since at least 2011 now? Something can be coincidence, but this is not the case.

Samsung already innovated by getting rid of the side bezels. 
    Getting rid of the side bezels is not innovation. Funny that some people still believe Samsung curved screens are anything but perfectly useless gimmick with resulted in distortion display and annoying accidental touch. Apple at least has some decency NOT to add that until they know how to implement it SMARTER.

pscooter63patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    linkman said:
    Didn't Samsung move on to portable grills?  ;)
    jSnivelywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Every other android OEM did away with buttons years ago but Samsung held out, my guess is because apple still has a button and if they have it, it must be worth having. 
    In my experience of several android devices, those without buttons only give you less options when the OS hangs or an app freezes. Not a problem with iOS as it rarely goes t*ts up but on the various android devices I have, its quite a regular occurrence. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Just because Apple will be using a flexible OLED like Samsungs doesn't mean the display will be curved, the Apple Watch has a flexible OLED, the iphone 8 will most likely be all screen on the front faced, no top or bottom bezel at all. They have patents to hide the selfie cam behind the screen, and with Touch ID/Home button and earpiece as well. Going to be a flat slab just all display, no need for a curved side screen, unless apple wants to get rid of all buttons (volume/silent switch) then that's what the curve will most likely be used for.