CEO Tim Cook's compensation cut by $1.5M following Apple's 2016 decline in sales

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Friday revealed that its executive team, including Chief Executive Tim Cook, received a pay cut for their performance in 2016, reflecting the company's first decline in revenue in 15 years.

The docked pay comes as a result of Apple's performance-based cash incentive opportunities for its top brass. With net sales of $215.6 billion and operating income of $60 billion, Apple came in slightly short of its respective target goals set by the company's compensation committee.

"This performance resulted in a combined payout at 89.5 percent of target for each named executive officer," Apple revealed in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

For Cook and his team, things could have been worse: Apple's compensation committee has the ability to adjust payouts downward based on performance and individual contributions. However, the committee determined that no such further cuts would be made.

The company noted that the 2016 payments to its executive team were "significantly less" than they received in 2015, as a result of "strong pay-for-performance alignment" in their contracts.

In all, net sales were down 7.7 percent in 2016, and operating income dropped 15.7 percent.

Cook's base salary was increased to $3 million at the beginning of 2016, up from $2 million a year prior. But his total compensation reached $8.7 million, an overall reduction of over $1.5 million from a year prior.

In fact, Cook earned less in 2016 than he did two years prior, in 2014.

The base salary for Apple's other named executive officers remained steady at $1 million for 2016, though the overall compensation to them was also reduced. Other named executives at Apple include Luca Maestri, Angela Ahrendts, Eddy Cue, Dan Riccio, and Bruce Sewell.
tallest skil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 190
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    While CEO's need to help their companies perform, it should be for the long run. This type of thinking makes them focus on next year's earning instead of the next 10 year's products. 
    fracjas99SpamSandwichirelandjahbladeStrangeDaysSolipscooter63patchythepirateraulcristian
  • Reply 2 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I wish the stock market somehow didn't exist. None of this crap matters.
    bloggerblogjas99Solicali
  • Reply 3 of 190
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    What's interesting is that if these strictures were applied to the rest of the industry, executive offices would look like a barren wasteland industry-wide. Especially at Microsoft. 

Apple execs get a pay cut for a slight decline in performance, yet Nadella still has a job at Microstupid.  
    jas99SpamSandwichjahbladeStrangeDayscalibadmonkpalominesreeadmiral.ashik
  • Reply 4 of 190
    Maybe this year they will focuse more on innovation, and making better products, and stay out of politics.  
    Apple has always been in politics.
    jas99jahbladeStrangeDaysdewmermfpdxequality72521lamboaudi4admiral.ashik
  • Reply 5 of 190
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    ireland said:
    I wish the stock market somehow didn't exist. None of this crap matters.
    And/Or, I wish Apple were a private company. I know it sounds stupid and impossible but then Apple could just focus on being Apple and not putting cash in someone's pockets 24/7/365. 
    jas99pulseimagescaliequality72521raulcristianavon b7
  • Reply 6 of 190
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    What's interesting is that if these strictures were applied to the rest of the industry, executive offices would look like a barren wasteland industry-wide. Especially at Microsoft. 

Apple execs get a pay cut for a slight decline in performance, yet Nadella still has a job at Microstupid.  
    And that is exactly how it should be.  I like that Apple punishes its executives when they fail to hit their targets, and does so in public. 

The company made a number of uncharacteristic missteps in 2016, the biggest of which was allowing bloggers and whiners to take control of the narrative. 

They were far too passive. I might go as far as to say, resting on their laurels. 

edited January 2017 andrewj5790rmfpdxcalipatchythepirateadmiral.ashik
  • Reply 7 of 190
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I don't understand how they let the Mac lineup get in the state it's in.

With their money they could easily have upgraded the line up with new internals whilst they finished off any innovations that they wanted to roll out.

Piss poor management, very unusual.
    king editor the gratermfpdxpulseimagesentropysavon b7
  • Reply 8 of 190
    saarek said:

With their money they could easily have upgraded the line up with new internals whilst they finished off any innovations that they wanted to roll out.

Apple doesn't like to use money from one division to prop up another one, especially if it's one as well established as the Mac division. Microsoft did that with Windows mobile, which is probably why it took them so long to realise it was failing. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 190
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Maybe I'm mistaken, but hasn't Microsoft actually done pretty well financially since Nadella took over? Stock is up about 90 percent since he took over in February 2014.
    yojimbo007entropyssingularityanantksundaramavon b7
  • Reply 10 of 190
    Actually, the biggest foulup was missing Christmas for the AirPod launch. 
    edited January 2017 slprescottpatchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 190
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    I have a hard time understanding why they don't update the MacPro or the Mac
    Miniquadra 610 said:

Nadella is responsible for Microsoft stocks all time high. I think Apple really has problem with not updating the Mac's.
    edited January 2017 entropyssingularitylamboaudi4
  • Reply 12 of 190
    jas99jas99 Posts: 149member
    Rayz2016 said:

"... allowing bloggers and whiners to take control of the narrative. "

^^^^THIS.  So much disinformation ALL THE TIME. Is there no PR at Apple????
    Solicalipalominepatchythepirateanantksundaramadmiral.ashik
  • Reply 13 of 190
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lmasanti said:
    Maybe, we must remember that his salary was ‘fixed’ when he became CEO of Apple and he by himself asked to be ‘tied to results.’ Also, when the paying to shareholder began, he excuse its shares of being rewarded. Conscoosness to shareholders is a rare virtue.
    It's pretty rare anywhere!  ;)  (I had to switch auto correct off as I it seemed to turn anything I wrote into Latin! lol)
  • Reply 14 of 190
    lmasanti said:
    Maybe, we must remember that his salary was ‘fixed’ when he became CEO of Apple and he by himself asked to be ‘tied to results.’ Also, when the paying to shareholder began, he excuse its shares of being rewarded. Conscoosness to shareholders is a rare virtue.
    That is very true. He volunteered to surrender a $75million bonus a few years ago. 
    Solicalipalominewatto_cobraadmiral.ashik
  • Reply 15 of 190
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    bulk001 said:
    While CEO's need to help their companies perform, it should be for the long run. This type of thinking makes them focus on next year's earning instead of the next 10 year's products. 
    True, but unfortunately that's how most of the business world works. People focus on quarterly profits far more than anything long term. Blame the shareholders and board as much as the CEO, since he's got to answer to them

still, I agree with the statement above. Hopefully this will be a kick in the pants for them
  • Reply 16 of 190
    They are not focused on Innovation, the iwatch was a failure. Instead of focusing on VR and being a leader in that they are taking a back seat. Instead of making their laptop and computer screens touchscreen, they make more expensive iPads. Instead of being a leader in home automation they took a back seat to google and amazon. They havent updated their mac pro line in several years now. Their computers receive marginal upgrades and the prices go up. If I was an investor, I would have dumped this a year ago, even with it trading near all time highs now. So many other great investments out there, even AMZN and NVDA have outperformed AAPL. Apple has absolutely built a great infrastructure around movies and music but its going to be cannibalized by Amazon Prime and other streaming services. Tim Cook has proven he isnt a Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 17 of 190
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    The headline and article itself clearly state that this cut was based on sales performance. 
    Nothing to do with stock prices or tech media BS. I really can't see where many of you read this.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 18 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    bulk001 said:
    It shouldn't. Not a single one of them needs the money, nor could ever in their entire lifetimes spend the money they have already been paid in past years.

IMHO Apple's executive team should be doing the jobs because of the challenge, personal pride, or maybe even the love of the company and not more personal monetary compensation. And those things may be their motivation, but at this point in their executive careers they don't benefit from any more money. If a drop in bonus pay that they wouldn't ever need anyway is enough to make a couple of them lose focus on the long-term picture perhaps they aren't the best leads for Apple anyway. Just my.02
    retrogustosingularityaussiepaulhmm
  • Reply 19 of 190
    saarek said:

non sequitur.  The Mac Lineup is not the reason they made less money last year.

and it's quite simple:  the Mac Lineup is in the state it's in due to 1) the iPhone is the product that drives the company; 2) Apple's commitment to reduce churn in products (to avoid rapid obsolescence / devaluation); 3) their dependence on Intel to provide 'compelling' upgrades to the x64 computational platform  4) Apple's view that the world [read: the 99% of the buying public that doesn't write code, play computer games, or crashes molecules, planets, or TB databases together] wants lighter more portable products.

I [hopefully] think this is the same conundrum as in 1997-2004 where they had to 'dance with who brung ya' [GSeries chip], until they could get 1) the NeXTSTEP->MacOSX migration reasonably complete, AND the Intel Core/Xeon Chips were Price/Performance competitive with the PowerChips.

I do think that the A series chips will go to the MacOS line... but it's still 4-5 years out, not so much for the Ax chips, but for supporting chip set that provides all the stuff that iDevices don't have to deal with at the performance levels a 'real computer' has to.

I do think the Apple Execs take a very long view in their product pipeline [3+ years], and are compensated such that a couple million a year off the top is a 'pinch' and not a 'penalty'  (If I have a x0,000 shares at 2010 $70 RSUs, the real benefit is still to grow stock price 20% over 3 years [remember this is the friction' highest capitalized public company in the free world 5% YoY is serious growth]).

Nothing to see here, business as usual.
    thedbaRayz2016hcrefugeeStrangeDaysequality72521fastasleepai46ration al
  • Reply 20 of 190
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    There are legitimate questions about the Mac lineup. It's pretty bad when even John  Gruber is like WTF Apple regarding the Mac Pro. What reason do they have for not updating it for 3 years and not reducing the price? If Apple doesn't want to be in the pro market then discontinue the product. Same thing with the router business. Those products are woefully out of date. Either update them or kill them. But it does call into question why Apple seems to be struggling from a bandwith perspective. Other than the iPhone - which they have no choice but to update every year at the same time - it seems like it's a struggle to get stuff out the door. Is Apple's functional org structure hurting them? Would things be different if there was one person responsible for the Mac and nothing else?