CEO Tim Cook's compensation cut by $1.5M following Apple's 2016 decline in sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 190
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    thedba said:
    The headline and article itself clearly state that this cut was based on sales performance. 
    Nothing to do with stock prices or tech media BS. I really can't see where many of you read this.
    Well you could argue that failure to control the narrative could lead to a drop in sales. 

cali
  • Reply 22 of 190
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Actually, the biggest foulup was missing Christmas for the AirPod launch. 
    And Beats X available soon, then in the Fall, then pushed to Feb.  But it would have been worse had they released a product not up to the quality expected and specs demonstrated.
    ration al
  • Reply 23 of 190
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Totally agree with this, however look for AirPods to be the hot selling item for the months to come.
    Apple has become so big now that despite many small victories such as Apple Watch and AirPods, they barely move the needle in terms of overall performance.
    If those divisions were standalone companies, Wall Street and tech media would be drooling all over them.

On a side note, I walked in to a nearby Apple store yesterday and bought me a pair of AirPods. The shelf where they stood had only 2 boxes remaining. I took one and before I knew it, the last one was gone as well.
    After using them for a few hours I realized how wires used to get in the way or tug at my ears every time I'd zip up my coat and go out. Absolutely love them.    
    edited January 2017 StrangeDayscaliequality72521pscooter63ai46patchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 190

Rayz2016 said:
    Biggest?  hardly.  let's see... assuming you sold 5 million last quarter, that's only 750Million in sales (remember, this is a $160 peripheral, that would be on top of a $700 phone purchase that has lightning enabled earbuds [you don't NEED to buy them], if you have 10% upsell, that would be friggin' amazing).

It would have been a massive cluster if they shipped 5 Million defective earPods (See Samsung Galaxy 7).   I think they did it right.

Apple knows that revenue will happen this quarter.  if you're spending $160 on ear pods, you a) have a $100 BlueTooth solution already, and/or b) you have $160 available every quarter.
    edited January 2017 StrangeDaysequality72521ration al
  • Reply 25 of 190
    Rayz2016 said:
    And Beats X available soon, then in the Fall, then pushed to Feb.  But it would have been worse had they released a product not up to the quality expected and specs demonstrated.
    That is also true. But managerial compensation isn't based on the disasters that didn't happen; it's based on the disasters that did. 
  • Reply 26 of 190

thedba said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Totally agree with this, however look for AirPods to be the hot selling item for the months to come.
    Apple has become so big now that despite many small victories such as Apple Watch and AirPods, they barely move the needle in terms of overall performance.
    If those divisions were standalone companies, Wall Street and tech media would be drooling all over them.

On a side note, I walked in to a nearby Apple store yesterday and bought me a pair of AirPods. The shelf where they stood had only 2 boxes remaining. I took one and before I knew it, the last one was gone as well.
    After using them for a few hours I realized how wires used to get in the way or tug at my ears every time I'd zip up my coat and go out. Absolutely love them.    

Oh they're a winner all right. 
    jahbladecaliequality72521
  • Reply 27 of 190

Rayz2016 said:
    Biggest?  hardly.  let's see... assuming you sold 5 million last quarter, that's only 750Million in sales (remember, this is a $160 peripheral, that would be on top of a $700 phone purchase, if you have 10% buy through that would be friggin' amazing).

It would have been a massive cluster if they shipped 5 Million defective earPods (See Samsung Galaxy 7).   I think they did it right.
    It was big in the sense that by removing the headphone jack Apple's wireless alternative was not ready along side the iPhone7. Their vision of a wireless future was slightly delayed.
  • Reply 28 of 190
    What's interesting is that if these strictures were applied to the rest of the industry, executive offices would look like a barren wasteland industry-wide. Especially at Microsoft. 

Apple execs get a pay cut for a slight decline in performance, yet Nadella still has a job at Microstupid.  
    Since Nadella has taken over at Microsoft, the share price has increased significantly. When Nadella was hired, Microsoft's share price was about $38 a share and now it's over $60 and still climbing. During that same period, Apple did peak for a short while but now it's down and flatlined. Investors don't tend to fire CEOs when they're increasing shareholder wealth. Apple should have been able to hold the momentum with all that reserve cash they had, but instead gave nearly all their gains back with nothing new on the horizon to change investor confidence. Microsoft shouldn't be doing as well as it is, but Wall Street absolutely loves the cloud business citing unlimited growth. Apple decided to go with AppleWatch and I and many others think it turned out to be a poor decision.
    asdasdtaniwha
  • Reply 29 of 190

Rayz2016 said:
    Biggest?  hardly.  let's see... assuming you sold 5 million last quarter, that's only 750Million in sales (remember, this is a $160 peripheral, that would be on top of a $700 phone purchase that has lightning enabled earbuds [you don't NEED to buy them], if you have 10% upsell, that would be friggin' amazing).

Apple knows that revenue will happen this quarter.  if you're spending $160 on ear pods, you a) have a $100 BlueTooth solution already, and/or b) you have $160 available every quarter.
    None of that means the AirPod missing the Christmas launch (especially as they'd said they'd be out by November) want the years foulup, unless you can think of one bigger. 
  • Reply 30 of 190
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member

Have you done any semi-serious exercises (running a couple of miles, working weight machines etc.) with them in? If so, how do you feel the do in terms of staying in? I have tried a lot of wired and BT headphones but have never been happy with them for workout purposes and would be curious to get a users perspective if you had one. 
  • Reply 31 of 190
    What's interesting is that if these strictures were applied to the rest of the industry, executive offices would look like a barren wasteland industry-wide. Especially at Microsoft. 

Apple execs get a pay cut for a slight decline in performance, yet Nadella still has a job at Microstupid.  
    Since Nadella has taken over at Microsoft, the share price has increased significantly. When Nadella was hired, Microsoft's share price was about $38 a share and now it's over $60 and still climbing. During that same period, Apple did peak for a short while but now it's down and flatlined. Investors don't tend to fire CEOs when they're increasing shareholder wealth. Apple should have been able to hold the momentum with all that reserve cash they had, but instead gave nearly all their gains back with nothing new on the horizon to change investor confidence. Microsoft shouldn't be doing as well as it is, but Wall Street absolutely loves the cloud business citing unlimited growth. Apple decided to go with AppleWatch and I and many others think it turned out to be a poor decision.
    And what evidence do you have for that?
  • Reply 32 of 190
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Maybe this year they will focuse more on innovation, and making better products, and stay out of politics.  
    You need to be involved in politics. There were plenty of successful companies that went down with the ship in WWII. Unfortunately the government does not make wise decisions, especially involving technology but evidently in human rights either.  Apple is leading in this area.
    retrogustoStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 190

jas99 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

"... allowing bloggers and whiners to take control of the narrative. "

^^^^THIS.  So much disinformation ALL THE TIME. Is there no PR at Apple????
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Thinking that one company can some how control the idiocy comprised of human stupidity is ludicrous.
    dewmeai46ration al
  • Reply 34 of 190
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Rayz2016 said:

And what evidence do you have for that?
    It's his/her opinion: "...I and many others think..."
  • Reply 35 of 190
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jkichline said:
    Maybe this year they will focuse more on innovation, and making better products, and stay out of politics.  
    You need to be involved in politics. There were plenty of successful companies that went down with the ship in WWII. Unfortunately the government does not make wise decisions, especially involving technology but evidently in human rights either.  Apple is leading in this area.
    "Human rights" involvement (whatever that means) is not Apple's purpose. Their purpose is to design and make "insanely great" things. That's it.
    equality72521asdasdentropystallest skil
  • Reply 36 of 190
    bulk001 said:

Have you done any semi-serious exercises (running a couple of miles, working weight machines etc.) with them in? If so, how do you feel the do in terms of staying in? I have tried a lot of wired and BT headphones but have never been happy with them for workout purposes and would be curious to get a users perspective if you had one. 
    Like I said, I only got them yesterday and already not having to untangle wires or having them tugging at my ears when I have my winter coat on is already a huge improvement. 
    The traditional EarPods alway fit my ears and AirPods are not any different for me. In fact I feel that they fit better than my EarPods.  I can't see why they would fall out while running, when spring rolls around. 
    As for working out I can't help you there, sorry. I'm member at a Crossfit box and they're very noisy places and dangerous for electronic devices such as expensive iPhones.  
    equality72521
  • Reply 37 of 190
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    jas99 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

"... allowing bloggers and whiners to take control of the narrative. "

^^^^THIS.  So much disinformation ALL THE TIME. Is there no PR at Apple????
    Steve Jobs was about half of Apple's PR, regardless of what products they were selling at the time. Now their PR is limited by their products...you have to have something to brag about, even if it's a minor product release or just an incremental upgrade, it's at least something you can talk about, even if only in hyperbole. If you leave an opening for dissenting voices (regardless if it's factual) it's already too late and you are stuck playing defense...which is all Apple has been doing for quite some time now.

Apple's marketing team must have been bored to tears for most of 2016 as they had nothing to promote.
    entropysavon b7
  • Reply 38 of 190

They are not focused on Innovation, the iwatch was a failure. Instead of focusing on VR and being a leader in that they are taking a back seat. Instead of making their laptop and computer screens touchscreen, they make more expensive iPads. Instead of being a leader in home automation they took a back seat to google and amazon. They havent updated their mac pro line in several years now. Their computers receive marginal upgrades and the prices go up. If I was an investor, I would have dumped this a year ago, even with it trading near all time highs now. So many other great investments out there, even AMZN and NVDA have outperformed AAPL. Apple has absolutely built a great infrastructure around movies and music but its going to be cannibalized by Amazon Prime and other streaming services. Tim Cook has proven he isnt a Steve Jobs.
    First, Apple Watch is not a failure. It's competing on a different level than the likes of FitBit.  They are approaching a more upscale market instead of cheap, replaceable biometrics.  It's something that you actually want to last and doesn't end up in a landfill.  When you take a look at actual smart watches (that run apps), Apple is on top: https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/04/report-smartwatch-sales-arent-falling/

VR is dumb. It's a toy and will be consigned to gamers that can't even make it out of their mother's basement while yelling for more Mountain Dew so they don't have to take their goggles off.  Making computers touchscreen is also dumb.  I want a laptop that's a great laptop. Microsoft has yet to convince me that the convergence of a tablet and laptop makes any sense. It's a terrible tablet and a mediocre laptop.  Their new Surface laptops are great, but that's because they don't have to be tablets. They throw a touchscreen in to add the bulletpoint.  That's it.  Apple's philosophy is in order to make a great tablet form factor, it needs to be different.  You may disagree with that, but the sales figures and profitable tells another narrative.

They haven't updated their MacPro lineup since Late 2013 (but wasn't available until 2014) because of delays in Intel's roadmap.  Originally the Skylake architecture in the E5 socket (suitable for the MacPro) was being released in Late 2015.  It was then pushed to late 2016 and now has been delayed to early 2017.  The processors that were released were minor revisions the the original that did not bump speed in any significant way.  Apple is wanting to move to TB3 and USB-C which is in the Skylake architecture. Because Intel is now targeting mobile first, the server-level processors have lagged.

Regarding your assessment of home products, the market is nascent.  It's better to do this right than do it fast. I want a platform that is secure and can't be cracked.  Regarding media services, I doubt that Amazon and other streaming services would hold a candle to Apple in these areas. Amazon is doing a great job, but again the sales figures do not align with your narrative.
    lkruppjahbladeibillStrangeDaysRayz2016caliequality72521roundaboutnowGerry-Aration al
  • Reply 39 of 190
    There are legitimate questions about the Mac lineup. It's pretty bad when even John  Gruber is like WTF Apple regarding the Mac Pro. What reason do they have for not updating it for 3 years and not reducing the price? If Apple doesn't want to be in the pro market then discontinue the product. Same thing with the router business. Those products are woefully out of date. Either update them or kill them. But it does call into question why Apple seems to be struggling from a bandwith perspective. Other than the iPhone - which they have no choice but to update every year at the same time - it seems like it's a struggle to get stuff out the door. Is Apple's functional org structure hurting them? Would things be different if there was one person responsible for the Mac and nothing else?
    It's simple. The Skylake architecture for the E5 class of Xeon processors was originally road mapped for Late 2015 and haas been delayed by Intel until early 2017.  It has nothing to do with Apple, it has everything to do with their vendor, Intel.
    macpluspluscaliequality72521fastasleepai46ration al
  • Reply 40 of 190
    Rayz2016 said:
    saarek said:
    I don't understand how they let the Mac lineup get in the state it's in.

With their money they could easily have upgraded the line up with new internals whilst they finished off any innovations that they wanted to roll out.

Piss poor management, very unusual.

Apple doesn't like to use money from one division to prop up another one, especially if it's one as well established as the Mac division. Microsoft did that with Windows mobile, which is probably why it took them so long to realise it was failing. 

The larger point is that , the iMac has been stagnating, and there is no reason it has needed to. (certainly not for lack of Apple monies)