Apple MacBook Pro saves man from bullet in Florida airport shooting

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Just waiting now for the idiotic statements saying that more guns would have prevented this.

The rest of the world just looks in total bemusement at why Americans still think it's safe for guns to be so common and easily accessible. But then if the country didn't learn from mass shootings in schools, they never will. 
    singularityfrac
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Just waiting now for the idiotic statements saying that more guns would have prevented this.

The rest of the world just looks in total bemusement at why Americans still think it's safe for guns to be so common and easily accessible. But then if the country didn't learn from mass shootings in schools, they never will. 
    Oh cool, because I was waiting for some simpleton to bring up the same old ignorant, quivering gun fears.  Might want to read up on how well French (or even California) gun laws have helped with preventing shootings and terror.  Not even waiting for the bodies to cool, before 'firing up' your political agenda, stay classy Timmy.

But we get it, you're a wimp and you just keep on waving that little yellow flag, tiger.
    edited January 2017 designrentropysidrey
  • Reply 23 of 45

k2kw said:
    Lucky guy.

My heart breaks that today was the last day that those 5 others got to enjoy. :'( 
    I say unlucky guy.   Now he'll probably be forced to buy on of the newer MacBookPros.   Don't expect that thinner lighter laptop to stop all the bullets as the old could.   lol.
    Don't know why your ass can joke while people died out there!
    Some people use humour as a mechanism for dealing with stress or troubling news. Others just have poor taste.
    entropyspscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 45
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    redefiler said:

Oh cool, because I was waiting for some simpleton to bring up the same old ignorant, quivering gun fears.  Might want to read up on how well French (or even California) gun laws have helped with preventing shootings and terror.  Not even waiting for the bodies to cool, before 'firing up' your political agenda, stay classy Timmy.

But we get it, you're a wimp and you just keep on waving that little yellow flag, tiger.
    I live in Broward and think that the Broward Sheriff's Office responds pretty good to these situations.

This appears to be another ISIS related terrorism attack.    Gun shootings are so bad in Chicago( where killings like this happen every week despite gun control )that maybe Obama will propose giving every child in Chicago schools a MacBookPro for protection.   
  • Reply 25 of 45
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    nm 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 26 of 45
    redefiler said:

Welcome to today's debate.

Arguing on behalf of firearms is the angry, insulting guy who thinks anyone who disagrees with him is a wimp. What makes it particularly poignant is that he won't see the irony.

For what little it's worth, my condolences to the friends and family of the victims. Also sympathy for the wounded, some of whom may suffer consequences of their injuries for the rest of their lives.
    ai46pscooter63Mikeymike
  • Reply 27 of 45
    rob53 said:
    Mythbusters did an episode where they took direct aim at a laptop and the bullet was stopped by the battery but I believe it was an older PC laptop that had a thicker compartment. This shot seems to have been a glancing shot that went clean through and would have missed him anyway. Either way, I'm glad he wasn't injured.

An observation: My MBP's disk drive is on the bottom left with the battery from the left-center to the right side so it looks like the disk drive took the majority of the impact, not the battery. It also looks like it entered towards the left top of the MBP, going through all his ports, then hard drive before exiting. It doesn't appear it would have even touched the battery. I'd like to know where he works since that bar-coded label on the back isn't from Apple.
    "Would have missed him anyway."  If you'd kept that bizarre speculation out of your post, the rest was okay.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    redefiler said:

Instead of cherry picking examples, how about an unrefutable statistic. 
    Japan has banned handguns, has tough qualification rules, yearly exams, no more than three gunshots per prefecture, new shells only on receipt of empty cases, mental health checks, background checks, family and friends background checks...and much more. The result is a very low level of gun ownership - 0.6 guns per 100 people in 2007, according to the Small Arms Survey, compared to 6.2 in England and Wales and 88.8 in the US.
    In 2014 there were just six gun deaths in Japan, compared to 33,599 in the US.
    Dissemble all you want. If you cannot see the correlation, you are in denial. Or stupid. 
    singularityMikeymike
  • Reply 29 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

Japan has banned handguns, has tough qualification rules, yearly exams, no more than three gunshots per prefecture, new shells only on receipt of empty cases, mental health checks, background checks, family and friends background checks...and much more. The result is a very low level of gun ownership - 0.6 guns per 100 people in 2007, according to the Small Arms Survey, compared to 6.2 in England and Wales and 88.8 in the US.
    Dissemble all you want. If you cannot see the correlation, you are in denial. Or stupid. 
    It's unwise to compare countries and cultures that are so vastly different as Japan and the US. Culturally, politically, historically, geographically very, very different.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

Correlation =/= causation. I am not in favour of widespread firearms but I have to point this out. Switzerland has one of the highest gun owner ship rates in the world, sometimes estimates are as close as 50%. Yet their crime rates (and shootings) are extremely low. One of the more likely causes of gun violent crime in the US is due to income inequality and outright poverty (in spite of the fact that it is one of the richest countries in the world). Both Switzerland and Japan enjoy high standards of living with pretty low income inequality. So instead of attempting to violently fight firearms, a more effective approach might be to take away the causes of violent behaviour.

Having more effective regulations on firearms on the other hand would help keep firearms out of the hands of people who are known to be violent/criminal/disturbed. (Heavily regulating ammunition like Switzerland and Japan could help too)
    idrey
  • Reply 31 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jkichline said:
    k2kw said:
    Lucky guy.

My heart breaks that today was the last day that those 5 others got to enjoy. :'( 
    I say unlucky guy.   Now he'll probably be forced to buy on of the newer MacBookPros.   Don't expect that thinner lighter laptop to stop all the bullets as the old could.   lol.
    First off, it's pretty rude to inject your opinion in an attempt to be funny during a situation where people died and were injured. It's tonedeaf to LOL at the Jain and suffering of others.. Second, have you used the new MacBook Pro? It's built like a tank despite being thinner. I'm not a ballistics expert but I'm pretty sure it would stop a bullet.
    100% agree with you.  Posts like that make you miss the down thumbs option don't they?  How on earth did it get thumbs up!  Sheesh!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

It's unwise to compare countries and cultures that are so vastly different as Japan and the US. Culturally, politically, historically, geographically very, very different.
    So your argument is that you can never compare the US to any other country.
    singularityMikeymike
  • Reply 33 of 45
    mf2k said:
    Apple should give this guy a brand new MacBook Pro with all of the upgrades. 
    Why should they? Why don't you start a go fund me page for him? Better yet, find him and buy it for him.
    Soli
  • Reply 34 of 45
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

Can the mods please remove the political discussion to another area of the forum. Otherwise, it just degrades to this silly name calling or silly statistics war where we do illogical things like cherry pick statistics from dissimilar cultures to argue a point. 
  • Reply 35 of 45
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

My point was an illustration of a simple truth. Remove the guns and gun crime all but disappears. It has nothing to do with culture, geography, history or politics...just a simple truth. 
    singularity
  • Reply 36 of 45

Notsofast said:
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

Can the mods please remove the political discussion to another area of the forum. Otherwise, it just degrades to this silly name calling or silly statistics war where we do illogical things like cherry pick statistics from dissimilar cultures to argue a point. 
    Can't disagree with you but without the downvoting option which would have satisfied me and others, there is little option but to respond to objectionable content. AI...bring it back please. 
    Mikeymike
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Notsofast said:
    frac said:
    redefiler said:

"Political?" Really? Wow. The article being discussed is about how a person's life was saved when a bullet fired at him was stopped/deflected by his computer. In this context, you consider a discussion of gun control "political" and/or off-topic? Here, lemme bring it back for you:

This is why Apple should not be using Lithium Ion batteries in laptops. They present a risk of fire and even explosion when struck by randomly-fired bullets in an airport.

Speaking of Airports, did you hear that Apple reassigned the engineers working on theirs?

Does that seem more appropriate to you? Or does it seem vacuous, shallow, and dismissive of the serious consequences of the event?
    singularity
  • Reply 38 of 45
    frac said:
    You are universally, fundamentally, wholly, and irrefutably INCORRECT. The argument is over. Gotta stop the politics outside of PO. http://www.gunfacts.info/
    lorin schultz said:
    In this context, you consider a discussion of gun control "political" and/or off-topic?
    I wouldn't, but the mods would.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Disembarking is how you leave a transport vessel.

Debarking is a canine veterinary procedure.
    Was going to say something similar.
    I point of fact, correct term is "deplane".
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Mikeymike said:
    Disembarking is how you leave a transport vessel.

Debarking is a canine veterinary procedure.
    Was going to say something similar.
    I point of fact, correct term is "deplane".
    Are you sure? I thought "deplane" is what Herve Villechaize did on Fantasy Island.

tallest skilk2kw