Altered Beats photo ad with silver iPhone 7 sparks hopes of official 'Jet White' model

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Rumors of a "Jet White" iPhone 7 refuse to die. Stirring up the pot on Thursday was Apple's own Beats brand, which posted to the web a photo that appears to reveal a glossy white version of this year's flagship iPhone.

Posted to Beats' official Instagram page, the snapshot ad shows a pair of black Studio Wireless headphones sitting next to what looks to be a white iPhone 7.

Considering Apple released two new black iPhone colors this year -- matte black and the in demand glossy Jet Black -- alongside the usual assortment of silver, gold and rose gold color options, a photo of a heretofore unannounced white iPhone 7 from Beats would be quite the tasty tidbit. If only it were real.

A few adjustments in Photoshop reveals the handset in question is almost certainly a plain Jane silver model, its color likely washed out by one of Instagram's built-in filters. Alas, the elusive "Jet White" iPhone 7 remains a white whale.

The rumor mill first caught wind of the alleged "Jet White" iPhone 7 in November when Japanese blog Mac Otakara, citing supply chain sources, claimed Apple was thinking about bringing a glossy white version of its handset market.

In December, serial leaker Sonny Dickson posted a short video showing off iPhone 7 and 7 Plus rear casings done up in gleaming glossy white.

"Could this be the Jet White iPhone 7?" Dickson asked coyly.

No. As noted by AppleInsider, the parts, while nearly identical in design to official Apple hardware, contain telltale variations that suggest Dickson simply got his hands on custom aftermarket housings.

Beyond rumor mongering, hard evidence proving Apple is indeed planning to release a "Jet White" iPhone 7 has yet to surface. That said, a white version might be in the cards for a next-generation model, especially after this year's labor intensive Jet Black finish proved a massive hit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Two Golds, Two Blacks, Two Whites and Two iPhone's
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Ceramic White.
    calipatchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is "Jet White" an inside joke for AI writers at this point?
    larrya
  • Reply 4 of 15
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    my bet is they release a matt red geared towards China market 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 5 of 15
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    NY1822 said:
    my bet is they release a matt red geared towards China market 
    Soli said:
    Ceramic White.
    So, not "china white"...?
    mknelsonjSnively
  • Reply 6 of 15
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Soli said:
    It has to be, right?  What self-respecting writer wouldn't take 5 seconds to look up where "jet black" came from?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    Can someone straighten me out???

Since every iPhone sold will have a case applied to it, who gives a shit what color your phone is? 

For those who say, "I've never put a case on one of mine" or "I only use a translucent cases" let's be upfront: those that don't use cases are an extreme minority and rare. A stroll inside any shopping mall observing the patrons proves this.

So please tell me, why is the color of an iPhone model important to anybody???
  • Reply 8 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    It looks to be about the same color as the MacBook in the background -- is that a white MacBook  which doesnt exist? Or are these just silver/aluminum and are overexposed images, which naturally renders more pixels white than silver.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soli said:
    Not just AI

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jet white#hl=en&q="jet+white"
    Solimejsric
  • Reply 10 of 15
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Surely, I'm not the only reader who, upon quickly scanning the headline, thought they were talking about the video game.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bobroo said:

Since every iPhone sold will have a case applied to it, who gives a shit what color your phone is? 

For those who say, "I've never put a case on one of mine" or "I only use a translucent cases" let's be upfront: those that don't use cases are an extreme minority and rare. A stroll inside any shopping mall observing the patrons proves this.

Who give the shit about color? Ask the Chinese why Rose Gold iPhone were no where to be found when they were released?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    bobroo said:

Who give the shit about color? Ask the Chinese why Rose Gold iPhone were no where to be found when they were released?
    I don't think that addresses his point. He knows that people care about color, but why is this so important to people—especially if they put a case on the phone. I have the same question about the thin, nat-black plastic bezel of the LG 4K and 5K monitors Apple is selling. All I visually care about is the display itself and they are beautiful.

For my iPhone 7 Plus I ordered the Jet Black version but when I went to pick it up I asked if they had the Matte Black model (and they did). I don't use a case and liked the look of the Jet Black more, but I didn't like the way it felt, hence my desire to get what I'd say is subjectively a less attractive looking model. I'm sure bobroo differentiates between more and less attractive when it comes to objects, but should that be the defining reason to buy a handheld computer?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:
    It's a highly marketable name. Customers don't care about the technicals.

bobroo said:

I see a ton of naked iPhones. A little less than half. I'm the type who appreciates color and tries to get the most transparent case possible. Clear cases exist.
    The color also affects the front faceplate. 
    Surely, I'm not the only reader who, upon quickly scanning the headline, thought they were talking about the video game.

Lol, yes. 

• Reply 14 of 15
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    bobroo said:

I use a slip case when the iPhone is in my pocket. When I'm actually using it, there is no case. When I'm at my desk or at home, there is no case. Mine is a Jet Black iPhone 7+ and it is nearly pristine condition since I got it the first week after release.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Soli said:
    ("Jet Li" was already taken?)

I've rarely used cases, but only partly because of the color-hiding issue.
    I also revel in the unobtrusive slimness of the design.  Both of those features appeal to me greatly.
    That said, I'm getting the slimmest, clearest case I can find that doesn't add bulk for my new lip gloss black 7plus,
    having discovered they really weren't kidding about the back scuffing easily.  
    I carried my space gray 6 in my pocket, no cover, with keys and coins for over two years (although I was conscious of how I oriented the screen-side),
    and I swear there wasn't a mark on it...