Samsung makes good on promise to bring Gear S2, S3, Fit 2 smartwatch compatibility to iOS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Looks like a $20 cheapo wal-mart special.

samsung will likely be overtaken by one of the many android phone makers in a couple years. They've wasted so much capital on advertising and smear campaigns that couldn't do proper R&D on the Note 7. 

Good if to see them beginning the journey toward iPhone developer/accessory maker where they are a better fit for the world. 

watto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 22 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Joash said:
    That watch is gorgeous! Looks much better than the Apple Watch. Let's hope it has the same functionality as it does on the Samsung phones. 
    5 posts. obvious troll.
    funny how Samsung brings an old design and it's suddenly "gorgeous!"
    yet had Apple released this the narrative would be "they can't innovate!!" "Old design!!"

bb-15 said:
    hexclock said:
    macgui said:
    It's hard to break new ground on something that's been around for hundreds of years— the mechanical watch. 

So it's not surprising that the S3 looks similar to hundreds of other mechanical watches with its pseudo-mech face. A smartwatch in mech-watch's clothing.

I like the look of the Frontier and wish Apple would do something similar. Likely won't happen, or at least not for a long time, but as useful as a smartwatch is, I miss the look of a good-looking analog watch, and a round one at that.

How does its data plan work— like typical phone plan or that of an iPad (month-to month)? Can you order up data and a phone plan OTA on the S3?

I like choice and competition. I'm not surprised at the criticism here of the S3, but am surprised that six posts in and nobody's made a 'blowing off your hand' or similar 'joke'.
    I agree with your points, and I do like a nice mechanical watch. However, if I want to wear a computer in my wrist, I would rather have a rectangular screen and forego any mechanical aspects. 
    Another thing to add is that the rectangular (or square) watch is also traditional. Mechanical watch makers have produced rectangular / square watches for decades.
    - For instance, just Google "rectangular watches", then select "images", and you will see over 100 examples of these kinds of traditional watches.
    - An Apple Watch can look like a traditional watch. Take a stainless steel / silver AW, attach it to a decent steel / leather watch band, use a traditional watch face and it will almost pass as a traditional watch. (The only limit being that the screen is not always on but the look is still pretty close to known mechanical watches imo.)
    I told everyone just this when the Apple Watch released. I got bombarded with hate and I think I even got banned for it. The square design isn't new.

And PLEASE don't make the Apple Watch mechanical in any sense.
    watto_cobraredgeminipaStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Interesting that AI is even reporting this. I thought android wear died last year.
    watto_cobraredgeminipa1983
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Joash said:
    That watch is gorgeous! Looks much better than the Apple Watch. Let's hope it has the same functionality as it does on the Samsung phones. 
    Wow 5 comments always supporting Samsung on an Apple specific website! Thanks for visiting...

Concerning the Samsung watches - does it support Apple Pay? Even if it did I would still stick with what Apple offered anyway.
    watto_cobraredgeminipaStrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 39
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    timborama said:
    The rotating bezel just makes way more sense.
    The rotating bezel is nice, but does a round display over a rectangle for a device who's primary purpose in being "smart" is for quick glances of text? There's a reason why certain things have been made round over the years. With watches, it's because the hands turn in a circle from a center point, not because the design of the arm demands it to be round.
    Actually, the main reason was cost, making a round watch was cheaper than making a square one, and also easier to make solid. Stamp out round bit of metal, use a band of metal. Less metal used, less manipulations in metal working.
    A lot of early watches were simply pocket watches with a very slight redesign.

But, square and rectangle watches actually were quite popular from 1919 when the first watches to the mid 1930s. At that time, the watch was a luxury item for the rich.
    Makes sense since the bracelet has been in existence for ages on the wrist as luxury items and links are squarish.

It's when the army started distributing them to first its aviators, and then during the war to officers, that the watch, the cheaper mass produced design favored by the US military, entered the mass market. Round watches, which had had this large scale diffusion, were seen as the standard watch, a symbol of virile successful manhood, essentially through this marketing.

That's why the square watch mostly survived in women's watch were the military/virile marketing argument held less sway and the original, decorative argument was just as important.

Originally, I thought a round face was ideal for a smart watch.  But now, after seeing the various UI applications, I have changed my mind. Apple was right to choose this  shape. Not only is it clearly a more modern look, but it is FAR more useful for any computing tasks. 

The circular icon screen looks like it was made for a round face, as if they were exploring the possibility at one time. But it's the most annoying part of the watch for me. 

They could have have done what Samsung did and copied the iPod scroll wheel as a ring around the watch. But the touch screen and Digital Crown combo is superior. 

The watch is is a very difficult item to perfect. But you can see where Apple has invested much more time and care than any other. 

Thryve already asked the the hard questions, did the experimentation, and executed in the best way possible. 

watto_cobraredgeminipa1983StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 39
    You left out the biggest feature of the Gear S3. (Hint: One buys them at AT&T or TMo.) Also, it runs Tizen and doesn't have anything to do with Google.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Tizen is even worse than android and has no real ecosystem. It's like purposely spending your hard earned cash to downgrade your look and buying a ticket to get stranded on an island of digital dookie. 
    watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 28 of 39
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    timborama said:
    Soli said:
    timborama said:
    The rotating bezel is nice, but does a round display over a rectangle for a device who's primary purpose in being "smart" is for quick glances of text? There's a reason why certain things have been made round over the years. With watches, it's because the hands turn in a circle from a center point, not because the design of the arm demands it to be round.
    Wow, you're completely off... primary purpose is a WATCH.  EVERYTHING else is secondary.  Icons, etc display just fine.  Text on a postage stamp size screen (round or square) is just ridiculous.
    The primary purpose is no more to show the time  then the purpose of the iPhone is to be a phone. I certainly did not buy an Apple Watch to figure out the time because my iPhone does that perfectly well. I mostly got it for all the other things it does.
    edited January 2017 watto_cobraredgeminipa1983StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I'm digging the all black Gear S3, very stealthy and nice.

But smart watches in general, meh.  They need to last at least 5 days on a single charge.

I don't want to constantly worry about charging a device that's attached to my body.

They need to bring back the old school kinetic chargers.
  • Reply 30 of 39

But smart watches in general, meh.  They need to last at least 5 days on a single charge.

I don't want to constantly worry about charging a device that's attached to my body.

... because it's so hard to take it off at night and put it on the charger... 

The only time my 42mm Apple Watch has ever gotten close to dying in a day was when I drove 1,000 miles in one day, and used Apple Maps, which sends alerts to the Watch for directions. That was 22 hours of driving and notifications. If I had to, I could squeeze two days of use out of a charge, and my Watch is getting close to two years old. 

Kinetic chargers? Have you ever paid attention to how thick kinetic watches are? A smartwatch would easily be 1/2" thick if it were also kinetic. Besides, kinetic would never be enough to give any amount of charge worth noticing. 
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Tizen is even worse than android and has no real ecosystem. 
    JavaScript and Linux, with a free appstore integrated into the device. Besides tizenportathon.com there are other incentives for devs, plus this is integrating into iOS now and is cooler that sheet so you can expect devs to be all over it.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

... because it's so hard to take it off at night and put it on the charger... 

The only time my 42mm Apple Watch has ever gotten close to dying in a day was when I drove 1,000 miles in one day, and used Apple Maps, which sends alerts to the Watch for directions. That was 22 hours of driving and notifications. If I had to, I could squeeze two days of use out of a charge, and my Watch is getting close to two years old. 

Kinetic chargers? Have you ever paid attention to how thick kinetic watches are? A smartwatch would easily be 1/2" thick if it were also kinetic. Besides, kinetic would never be enough to give any amount of charge worth noticing. 
    Most smartwatches are already close to a half inch thick. The specs of my series 2 say it's 11.4mm but it's actually about a mm thicker, which makes it only a smidgen off a half inch already.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    timborama said:
    Soli said:
    timborama said:
    Wow, you're completely off... primary purpose is a WATCH.  EVERYTHING else is secondary.  Icons, etc display just fine.  Text on a postage stamp size screen (round or square) is just ridiculous.
    I disagree. My Apple Watch is as much a "watch" as my iPhone is just a "phone." In this day and age, our smart devices are SO much more than any linear, traditional designation. 
    bb-15StrangeDaysSoli
  • Reply 34 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    timborama said:
    You can debate square vs round all day long.  I love my S2, and soon-to-be S3. The rotating bezel just makes way more sense.

Glad they got the app out finally, it works great.  A couple features missing from the Android version (I'm sure Apple has something to do with that).  Not to mention, I'm sure Apple dragged their feet on the review so it came out AFTER Xmas.  Next step will be to get the Galaxy S8 and ditch my iPhone.  Finally seeing the light, escaping out from Apple's "walled garden".
    Will you continue to post on Apple sites once you go Android?
    Soli
  • Reply 35 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

timborama said:
    Soli said:
    timborama said:
     Nonsense -- i use the Activity and Workout and Messages apps far more than checking the time. That's the primary purpose of a smart watch. 

Next you'll be saying the primary purpose of a smartphone is making calls. 
    Soli
  • Reply 36 of 39
    cali said:
    Interesting that AI is even reporting this. I thought android wear died last year.
    The Samsung Gear watches do NOT run Android wear. Nor do they support Android pay. They run Tizen and they support Samsung pay. 

Samsung makes the best mobile hardware outside of Apple. They know it also. It's why they are moving away from Android and Google is desperately trying to find another capable hardware manufacturer to promote Android. 

There's no way HTC will ever be able to build hardware anywhere near as capable as Samsung. 

Samsung has done something no one else has been able to do. Build an SOC with an integrated 3G modem for a watch. 

Hopefully Apple's new partnership with Intel for modems will allow Apple to do something similar. 

I am rather fond of Apple's products. But if Samsung can build a watch with a capable 4G modem and decent battery life, I might give up up the iPhone for the Gear watch, especially if the device can be tethered to an iPad for data or even simply attached to a monitor.  The fact that the Gear watches run Tizen and not Android is a real plus. Integration with iOS is key. 

If Apple does not come out with a 4G capable watch but Samsung does, I will be purchasing the Samsung product. Google will also be in real trouble also as there isn't anyone producing anything compelling for Android wear. 
  • Reply 37 of 39
    timborama said:
    You can debate square vs round all day long.  I love my S2, and soon-to-be S3. The rotating bezel just makes way more sense.

Glad they got the app out finally, it works great.  A couple features missing from the Android version (I'm sure Apple has something to do with that).  Not to mention, I'm sure Apple dragged their feet on the review so it came out AFTER Xmas.  Next step will be to get the Galaxy S8 and ditch my iPhone.  Finally seeing the light, escaping out from Apple's "walled garden".
    Will you continue to post on Apple sites once you go Android?
    Don't be silly - timborama doesn't have any Apple products anyway...
    Soli
  • Reply 38 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:
    The Samsung Gear watches do NOT run Android wear. Nor do they support Android pay. They run Tizen and they support Samsung pay. 

Samsung makes the best mobile hardware outside of Apple. They know it also. It's why they are moving away from Android and Google is desperately trying to find another capable hardware manufacturer to promote Android. 

There's no way HTC will ever be able to build hardware anywhere near as capable as Samsung. 

Samsung has done something no one else has been able to do. Build an SOC with an integrated 3G modem for a watch. 

Hopefully Apple's new partnership with Intel for modems will allow Apple to do something similar. 

I am rather fond of Apple's products. But if Samsung can build a watch with a capable 4G modem and decent battery life, I might give up up the iPhone for the Gear watch, especially if the device can be tethered to an iPad for data or even simply attached to a monitor.  The fact that the Gear watches run Tizen and not Android is a real plus. Integration with iOS is key. 

If Apple does not come out with a 4G capable watch but Samsung does, I will be purchasing the Samsung product. Google will also be in real trouble also as there isn't anyone producing anything compelling for Android wear. 
    The volume of this thing is what, 50% bigger, that's your answer right there... If Apple thought selling a 46mm watch with LTE was a good idea, they'd do it. So, I don't really get the praise for Samsung. How many of those fracking watches have they sold? Very little seemingly.

Gear integration with IOS won't be on par with Apple's cause well, they don't own the stack and don't have access to all APIS.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    cali said:

The volume of this thing is what, 50% bigger, that's your answer right there... If Apple thought selling a 46mm watch with LTE was a good idea, they'd do it. So, I don't really get the praise for Samsung. How many of those fracking watches have they sold? Very little seemingly.

Gear integration with IOS won't be on par with Apple's cause well, they don't own the stack and don't have access to all APIS.
    You gotta love¡ the "Samsung has done something no one else has been able to do. Build an SOC with an integrated 3G modem for a watch," as if it's somehow impossible for Apple to figure out how to make an object bigger, heavier, and have worse battery life. The history of technology is filled with "me first!" products that are never remembered for being great. The iPod wasn't the first PMP, the iPhone not the first smartphone, etc., yet these are the products that all other products followed after being released in what is always stated as an established market.