Apple on track to launch three new iPads in spring 2017, but none of them mini

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I believe iPhone Plus sales are on the raise so I figure this will pretty much replace the iPad mini. If you're the person who has to carry their iPad everywhere they go then I would think an iPhone Plus would be better for you anyways. Then you don't have the haul around 2 devices and you're only only paying for one data plan. 

Regardless, Apple knows what's selling and what isn't. There may be a few people here upset, but bottomline is Apple knows more than we do. You can't go by sales in your local Walmart, Target, or BestBuy. You can't go by how many iPad minis you and your friends and family have. Thats an extremely small sample size. 

Now Apple could just simply not update the current iPad mini 4, drop all other mini's from the lineup and make only the current iPad mini one and only iPad mini in the lineup. It can sit there and sell just like the iPad 2 a while back even though its not being updated. 
  • Reply 22 of 47
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chadbag said:
    The Plus model phones in no way take the spot of the mini in the iOS world.   I've had a Plus sized phone since they started making them and also have a couple minis.   They rarely overlap in their use.  The mini is much larger screen area and a different aspect ratio.   I've been wanting a 12.9 iPad Pro and a new mini to update our old stable of iPads.
    I agree...  Those who think a + phone replaces an IPad Mini are going by ideology and specs rather than actual, hands-on usage.   Using them, you find that they are totally different:  first when you try to put the IPad mini in your pocket and then when you try to read a newspaper or update a spreadsheet on the IPhone +...

Totally different.   No correlation.   The IPhone+ is closer to the Mini than a vanilla IPhone, but that doesn't make them the same.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 23 of 47
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    As I remember, from the start, Apple marketed the Mini not as a new form factor but as a cheaper version of the "Real" IPad.

Could it be that they don't feel they want to support 'cheaper versions' anymore?  That they are going for higher gross-margin products?
    ...  If so, SHAME on you Apple!

From day one, it was the product that made Apple successful -- not the gross margin on that product.  As mobile products (from the IPod to the MBP) become commoditized, Apple will be squeezing itself into an ever shrinking niche if it focuses primarily on the gross margin of its products by limiting itself to only high end, high gross-margin products.   Other manufacturers will just nibble away its foundation until it topples of its own weight.
    williamlondondysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    williamh said:
    flaneur said:

It couldn't be that the Mini has the best LCD screen available right now, and so there's no update needed since the last one. No, that's too sensible.

No, that doesn't make any sense at all.  By that logic, Apple wouldn't be updating the other models either.  In any event, the suggestion that they're "end of lifing" the Mini does not mean it's the best and no update is needed.  If true, it means that Apple doesn't want to sell it anymore. Eliminating a popular model doesn't seem like the intuitive solution to a product line in decline.

I think itwould be extremely foolish to believe this sketchy speculation from a Chinese business rag based on another guess from Ming-Chi Kuo.

The point is that the Mini 4 is as good as it needs to be with its latest update to full sRGB-gamut, no air-gap, anti-reflective display and its Touch ID. It can continue selling as is while the Pro iPads get the attention, because that is where the graphics and creatives market is.

Also, try to pay attention to where you insert text when you reply, so others can make sense of the discussion.
    edited January 2017 firelock
  • Reply 25 of 47
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    My iPad 3 us all sssssllllooooowww.  It takes like 30 seconds just for the keyboard to pop up it's so slow.  So I plan to get a new iPad this year.   Now I'll take a look what Apple is offering this year, but I'd be happy with a Air 2, and just buy a used one as threr prices will drop on used ones even more.  So I'm waiting for that drop.  I forked out a lot of the one I have with has cell service also and 6 months later Apple released the iPad 4 which is what the underpowered 3 should have been!!! 
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Seanismorris said it.  The mini was a fill-in product when most iPhone owners owned 3.5" and 4" iPhone models.  It took a couple years for that to change as owners, some reluctantly, upgraded to the 4.7" and 5.5" screen sizes.  For those years the iPad mini was a great option.  But now its purpose has likely been filled by the iPhone + models.  Also, those opting for the mini are likely doing so for light-duty work, browsing and reading, watching video.  Not so much content creation, and so its A8 processor is perfectly adequate.  I'll bet Apple continues to sell it for at least two more years, lowering its price each year while milking its long already amortized R&D costs.  Great first tablet for the kids.
    I do not care if it is fill in or not. I will never buy large phone as I am not planning to buy special shirts to carry that scrap and I do not carry phones in hand - that is not my life mojo, but simply a tool for communication. Phone is communication device - not tablet to work with. If Apple stops making small smartphones I am switching to Android. Ergonomics and purpose first. Same applies to iPad: keep small version or else. that applies to my entire family that I equiped with Minis. Well I can equpi them in something else if needed.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    As I remember, from the start, Apple marketed the Mini not as a new form factor but as a cheaper version of the "Real" IPad.

Could it be that they don't feel they want to support 'cheaper versions' anymore?  That they are going for higher gross-margin products?

From day one, it was the product that made Apple successful -- not the gross margin on that product.  As mobile products (from the IPod to the MBP) become commoditized, Apple will be squeezing itself into an ever shrinking niche if it focuses primarily on the gross margin of its products by limiting itself to only high end, high gross-margin products.   Other manufacturers will just nibble away its foundation until it topples of its own weight.
    Another example of working up a fantasy scenario and then blaming Apple of following your fantasy.

What is wrong with the way people think now? Are your negative emotions toward Apple so compelling that you can no longer reason?

When the Mini 4 came out in 2015, your contingent was all about the price being $100 higher for a minor update. 

In other words, Apple's margins on the Mini are just fine, now that they've amortized the cost of the vastly improved display and the Touch ID revision. 
    edited January 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    All
    flaneur said:

Another example of working up a fantasy scenario and then blaming Apple of following your fantasy.

What is wrong with the way people think now? Are your negative emotions toward Apple so compelling that you can no longer reason?

When the Mini 4 came out in 2015, your contingent was all about the price being $100 higher for a minor update. 

In other words, Apple's margins on the Mini are just fine, now that they've amortized the cost of the vastly improved display and the Touch ID revision. 
    All this means is that they'll be selling the mini as a mainly consumption device for another year, likely knock $50 off it in the course of the year (not sure if it will be this spring).
  • Reply 29 of 47
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Steve Jobs was right about the form factor of smaller tablets. I own an iPad Mini 2 but I feel the need for a larger display, my touches don't register with the tiny close boxes. It is otherwise a great device with extreme portability and an excellent gaming toy for kids. I don't mean Apple should withdraw it but I think I'll go with a larger display when the new iPads are released.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    kamilton said:
    I'd like to see the data on how many iPads are still in daily service.  If I'm any indication, then sagging sales are due to market saturation + upgrade reluctance.  Content consumption devices don't run out of steam as quickly as content creation devices.  They may run out of memory, but otherwise provide little reason for upgrading.  iPad was a huge hit, then it tanked.  Seems like the market niche was filled and remains so.

My iPad Air 2 Retina still does 110% of what I need.  I'd love a new device, but I'd sooner spend the cash on a new iPhone or new MBP.  
    Except for the fact that the OS goes out of date there's no reason at all to upgrade an iPad 2 for consumption. And even then iOS 8 is fine for that. 

However this means that theres a large enough installed base, and active users. Hard one to fix for Apple. 
    edited January 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 47
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    tshapi said:
    I think we are looking at it all wrong. The iPad mini will soon be replaced by the standard iPad when Apple removes the home button and slims down the top/bottom bezel. And eliminates the edges.  This will make the 9.7 iPad the same overall size as the  entire iPad mini.
    I'd prefer the same advances be used to make the mini a smaller device with the same screen.
    capt. obvious
  • Reply 32 of 47
    With the larger size IPhone the mini has been made irrelevant.
    Uhh, maybe for you, but you're not everyone.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    This is so depressing, I've been dying to get a Mini that can support the Apple Pencil. 

I see people reading books on Minis on the New York subway every day, and I see people with mini keyboards using them as travel-netbooks all the time. It seems to be by far the most popular form factor. 

If Apple wants to push users to units with higher margins, the way to do it is with better Minis, not retiring the line.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    tshapi said:
    I think we are looking at it all wrong. The iPad mini will soon be replaced by the standard iPad when Apple removes the home button and slims down the top/bottom bezel. And Elomiantes the edges.  This will make the 9.7 iPad the same overal size as the  entire iPad mini.  
    I thought this sounded stupid, but you're right, the mini really does fit just inside a 9" screen. Tough to imagine but I hope you're right.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 47
    kamilton said:
    I'd like to see the data on how many iPads are still in daily service.  If I'm any indication, then sagging sales are due to market saturation + upgrade reluctance.  
    I see them everywhere. The whole "netbook" market from ten years ago got absorbed by mini tablets.

But yes, that market is nearly saturated, and upgrade reluctance is a real issue. Even slow iPads are great, people only replace them once they've dropped them too many times.
    dysamoriawilliamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 47
    For those years the iPad mini was a great option, but now its purpose has likely been filled by the iPhone+ models. 
    Grand supposition on your part with nothing to back it up except your personal experience. The screen sizes on the iPhone+ and iPad mini differ by more than two inches — i.e. more than 40 percent. There is no way the phone is sufficient to the uses I have for a mini, nor do I have any interest in paying for phone features I do not need. By the looks of the forum comments, I'm hardly alone.
    Also, those opting for the mini are likely doing so for light-duty work, browsing and reading, watching video.
    Why do you say that as though it were a bad thing? That's a real and valid purpose for which the iPad mini is ideally suited.
    80s_Apple_Guyewtheckman
  • Reply 37 of 47
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I bought my wife an iPad Mini 4 for Christmas. She had been using a Kindle Paperwhite for e-reading, and then her iPhone 6 for Facebook and a few mobile games. I debated getting her a cheaper Mini 2 but I really wanted the Touch ID so it wouldn't be a pain to unlock. It has been a huge success. She loves reading on the Kindle app, and Facebook and games are much better on the larger screen for her, given she is over 40 and does not have the best eyesight. The device is incredibly light with a great screen, which is important for e-reading. And because she can send texts and answer calls from the device it makes it so that she doesn't have to run to get her phone all the time. I would be sad to see this iPad category go without a suitable replacement in the same size.
    williamlondonewtheckman
  • Reply 38 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    ktappe said:
    Apple's loss. The Mini is the only iPad I will ever consider. The others are too large IMHO. I like my Mini 2 and will (apparently) keep using it for the foreseeable future.
    Can't agree enough, I have both an air and mini 4, the air is hardly ever used. I suspect the mini cannibalizes sales of the 9.7 - it's all about margins - we're talking about Apple, it's always about margins.
    That's three votes for the mini. 
  • Reply 39 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

kamilton said:
    I'd like to see the data on how many iPads are still in daily service.  If I'm any indication, then sagging sales are due to market saturation + upgrade reluctance.  Content consumption devices don't run out of steam as quickly as content creation devices.  They may run out of memory, but otherwise provide little reason for upgrading.  iPad was a huge hit, then it tanked.  Seems like the market niche was filled and remains so.

My iPad Air 2 Retina still does 110% of what I need.  I'd love a new device, but I'd sooner spend the cash on a new iPhone or new MBP.  
    Yeah, I updated to a 7 rather than refresh my iPads.  Then I bought a laptop for the kids (Dell...yes yes, boo hiss) and a couple android phones (because ScreenTime works soo much better on Android than iOS).

My iPads still rock because I don't play high end games.  Boom Beach runs fine as does Netflix and DirectTV Now...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I really don't care. I want Apple to focus on a Mac Pro system. Now.

Actually I do care: I want Apple to stop obsoleting existing hardware at such a rapid pace by bloating the OS at every version.
    williamlondon