Leviton presents hub-free HomeKit in-wall dimmers, switches

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Leviton's Decora Smart lineup of automated switches and dimmers promise a HomeKit-friendly lighting solution -?with no hub required, unlike some competing lighting solutions.

With Leviton's HomeKit-connected Decora Smart products, users will be able to control lighting through straightforward Siri commands and Apple's native Home app in iOS. The three-product lineup includes the following:
  • 1000W Universal Dimmer (up to 450W LED)
  • 600W Universal Dimmer (up to 300W LED)
  • 15A Universal Rocker Switch (up to 600W LED)
Leviton says the trio of HomeKit devices are set to arrive in April of 2017. Pricing has not yet been solidified, but the accessories are expected to range between $34.97 to $49.97.

Other popular HomeKit lighting methods -- notably Philips Hue bulbs and Lutron dimmers and switches --?require additional hardware to bridge those platforms to Apple's HomeKit. Leviton's products offer a simpler solution, directly connecting to HomeKit without the need for a hub plugged into the user's router.

In addition to iOS integration, users can fine-tune settings through Decora's own Smart Home app, including advanced options and customizability. For example, users can devise specialized lighting schemes, set minimum and maximum brightness levels, and even adjust a dimmer's fade rate.

Leviton touts that the devices are engineered for a vast range of lighting situations, meaning that even sensitive, low-wattage sources can be controlled with care. The in-wall rockers and dimmers have what Leviton calls the "Decora form-factor" -?boasting vanishing LEDs and other design factors for a clean look and feel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    How do they communicate? Bluetooth? Wi-Fi?
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 14
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    Why doesn't anybody make a combination light switch and ceiling fan control for mounting in place of a mechanical wall switch and fan speed knob? I haven't found one after much Googling.
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Hub/Bridge free is marketing talk. Philips and other vendors could be hub free as Zigbee Lightlink doesn't require a bridge but when you need stable remote access or traversing other protocols a bridge is the smart solution.  

If if you ask Leviton how to remote access these dimmers you will be told to get a 4th gen Apple TV or iPad as a HomeKit bridge.  
    dws-2applesauce007cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    zroger73 said:
    How do they communicate? Bluetooth? Wi-Fi?
    Most likely Bluetooth
  • Reply 5 of 14
    AppleBum said:
    Why doesn't anybody make a combination light switch and ceiling fan control for mounting in place of a mechanical wall switch and fan speed knob? I haven't found one after much Googling.
    Check the BigAss Fan site. Their fan/LED light works well with the iPhone app.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    1. Do any of you know of a wall switch that works with a Logitech Harmony remote? Is it possible without a hub?

2. If I have a HomeKit system already in place, is there a way to allow a Harmony remote to control even just one specific light switch? Like some kind of Harmony-to-HomeKit bridge? We already have a Harmony remote in the bedroom. It would be nice if it could be used to switch off the lights without having to get up and go to the switch.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Anyone interested in a lightly-used Lutron Caseta setup? About 50 devices: remotes, switches, dimming plugs, bridge.

i loved my old Leviton gear before I got all 'smart' with the Lutron Caseta HomeKit setup.

• Reply 8 of 14
    JCeeJCee Posts: 4member
    Hub-less is not in the top ten of importance for a working smarthome. Regarding the Lutron hub, it's not overhead - it's backup.  And additional features of integration that are not in HomeKit but HomeKit can access.  Lutron's Caseta system  a redundant 433mhz hardware system that works when wifi and or iCloud or even the internet is down. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Forget the bridge vs non bridge issue; Will these dimmers be the first devices that will control LED lights without a neutral wire? My older wiring in the house is missing a neutral wire in some main floor boxes and I haven't found a device that will work without a neutral wire
  • Reply 10 of 14
    BobRae99 said:
    Will these dimmers be the first devices that will control LED lights without a neutral wire? My older wiring in the house is missing a neutral wire in some main floor boxes and I haven't found a device that will work without a neutral wire
    The Lutron Caseta dimmers (also HomeKit compatible) don't require a neutral wire.
    polymnia
  • Reply 11 of 14
    AppleBum said:
    Lutron Caseta has it...

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-PD-5WS-DV-WH-Caseta-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B00NO7Z80S/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1483813015&sr=8-10&keywords=lutron+caseta+wireless

cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    This is an interesting discussion and I'm glad it's here. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    BobRae99 said:
    Forget the bridge vs non bridge issue; Will these dimmers be the first devices that will control LED lights without a neutral wire? My older wiring in the house is missing a neutral wire in some main floor boxes and I haven't found a device that will work without a neutral wire
    The Lutron kit I have in my home requires no neutral wire. And it's for sale, as mentioned earlier.

Interested?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    StLouieStLouie Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Polymnia...I am interested in your Lutron Caseta setup.