iDevices' Instant Switch is a Bluetooth remote for HomeKit compatible appliances

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Adding to an already impressive ecosystem of connected home devices, iDevices on Tuesday debuted Instant Switch, a wall-mounted Bluetooth controller styled after traditional light switches.

A Bluetooth Smart device, Instant Switch pairs with and is able to remotely control iDevices' lineup of outlets, sockets, switches, dimmers and lighting products. Along with basic on/off capabilities, the switch integrates with smart home platforms including Apple's HomeKit, Android and Amazon's Alexa assistant for access to voice controls and macro profiles.

For iPhone owners, Instant Switch acts as a bridge between HomeKit and nearly all iDevices products -- everything except for the company's smart thermostat. That means control via Siri and support for house-wide scenes.

The unique flat panel design allows Instant Switch to be mounted flush on a wall, offering the aesthetic appearance of a traditional residential electrical switch box cover. Alternatively, users can also replace any standard two-screw wall plate with the included iDevices plate and Command adhesive backing. A semi-permanent fixture, the switch's internal batteries boast a lifespan of two years.

When paired with a hard-wired iDevices Wall or Dimmer Switch, Instant Switch automatically creates a three-way configuration, which means a target appliance can be controlled from two switches. The remote control design allows for increased flexibility, with users able to add and duplicate switches for a variety of products at will.

Instant Switch will cost $49.95 when it launches in the middle of 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It sounds useful but I won't be buying one. I purchased an iDevices Switch (despite the name it is an outlet) about a year ago. I wanted to replace the non-HomeKit compatible WeMo switch I had on my stereo and the iDevices Switched seemed perfect.

Until I used it. It constantly can't be found by Siri or even the iDevices app and needs to be unplugged and then plugged in again, and even that doesn't necessarily fix it. I've reset it a couple of times and that didn't help either. I realize that unplugging it doesn't sound terrible but keep in mind the outlet it's plugged into is in a closet and well off the floor (my stereo is high on a shelf, out of the way and so is the outlet). I can reach it but my wife needs a step stool. 

So, resetting it or turning it on manually is a pain and completely defeats the ease of use of HomeKit accessories. It would be easier to manually turn the stereo on/off every time. 

Anyway, back to WeMo until there a good solution. I'm hoping Lutron makes an outlet that's for more than just lamp control. I've had no issues with Lutron Caseta. 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It sounds useful but I won't be buying one. I purchased an iDevices Switch (despite the name it is an outlet) about a year ago. I wanted to replace the non-HomeKit compatible WeMo switch I had on my stereo and the iDevices Switched seemed perfect.

Until I used it. It constantly can't be found by Siri or even the iDevices app and needs to be unplugged and then plugged in again, and even that doesn't necessarily fix it. I've reset it a couple of times and that didn't help either. I realize that unplugging it doesn't sound terrible but keep in mind the outlet it's plugged into is in a closet and well off the floor (my stereo is high on a shelf, out of the way and so is the outlet). I can reach it but my wife needs a step stool. 

So, resetting it or turning it on manually is a pain and completely defeats the ease of use of HomeKit accessories. It would be easier to manually turn the stereo on/off every time. 

Anyway, back to WeMo until there a good solution. I'm hoping Lutron makes an outlet that's for more than just lamp control. I've had no issues with Lutron Caseta. 
    I have had the opposite experience. I have an iDevices Switch and an iDevices Outdoor Switch that both work perfectly and stay connected all the time. There were glitches at first but guess what? When iOS updated to 10.1 and now 10.2 those glitches disappeared. The iDevices app has also been updated a number of times but I use the Home app instead and all is well at this point. Apple sells the product in its stores and it gets good reviews as well. Don’t assume your personal experience is typical.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lkrupp said:

I have had the opposite experience. I have an iDevices Switch and an iDevices Outdoor Switch that both work perfectly and stay connected all the time. There were glitches at first but guess what? When iOS updated to 10.1 and now 10.2 those glitches disappeared. The iDevices app has also been updated a number of times but I use the Home app instead and all is well at this point. Apple sells the product in its stores and it gets good reviews as well. Don’t assume your personal experience is typical.
    I didn't mean to give the impression that my experience is typical, but based on my experience I see no reason I should look at more of their products, especially when my experience with other HomeKit accessories has been completely different.  

Maybe I bought too early and there were changes made prior. A co-worker also bought one within a month of me and his experience was worse. Daily disconnects and resets. After 2 weeks he gave up. 

Also, I'm on 10.2 and still get the same issues. I WANT it to work well, I just can't seem to get it to. 

Like I mentioned, as annoying as it is, it's more of a problem for my wife. She feels it's enough of a pain in the ass to get it working when I'm not home to not use it at all (which Isn't a good alternative since the stereo is connected to our whole house audio, if she can't turn it on, no music). 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I'll stick with the Philips Hue dimmers. They are half the price, available now and have better control over the lights.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I have a Hue Starter kit with an included dimmer and it works perfectly. Unfortunately there's still an occasional problem with Siri controlling the lights.

It seems that whenever the dimmer is used, Siri will often not connect. Previously restarting the Hue bridge worked, and ultimately turning WiFi Off/On worked. That's not enough to dissuade me from getting a few more Hue products (a couple of bulbs and a remote sensor) but it's not the seamless experience I was hoping for.

BTW, I've tried two WeMo switches and they never worked. WeMo support was useless as were their forums. So back they went. I'm willing to give the iDevices  Instant Switch a shot, if it will handle inductive loads like a fan or heater. There are a lot of dimmer switches available, but no high capacity On/Off types, and that's what I want.