Here's every Apple HomeKit product announced at CES 2017 coming later this year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Apple itself may not show up to CES, but about a dozen companies came to this year's show with a range of HomeKit-capable products from smart lighting products to home security. Here's a complete guide to everything HomeKit unveiled at CES 2017.

HomeKit is Apple's platform for third-party smart home gadgets that talk to each other through iOS devices and are Siri-voie-controlled. It's great for making the use and installation of these gadgets easier, but it's been somewhat limited in the breadth of products that have hit the market.

It's during CES that third-party developers try to change this by showing of their new products, and this year was no different.

Smart lighting

Smart lighting was a big hit this year with a number of new products introduced, including the Sylvania HomeKit-enabled Bluetooth lightbulb and the Lifx Plus smart bulb.

One of the more interesting lighting products unveiled was the iDevices Instant Switch, a wall-mounted Bluetooth controller styled after traditional light switches. Instant Switch pairs with and is able to remotely control iDevices' lineup of outlets, sockets, switches, dimmers and lighting products. Along with basic on/off capabilities, the switch integrates with smart home platforms including Apple's HomeKit, Android and Amazon's Alexa assistant for access to voice controls and macro profiles.

For iPhone owners, Instant Switch acts as a bridge between HomeKit and nearly all iDevices products --everything except for the company's smart thermostat. That means control via Siri and support for house-wide scenes.

Other smart lighting products unveiled were:
  • Incipio CommandKit WiFi Smart Wall Switch

• Leviton Decora light switches

• Fibaro Flood Sensor

• Ring Floodlight Cam

Smart locks

One standout from CES this year was Yale Smart locks, which released a HomeKit module that plugs directly into existing hardware, offering owners the ability to control select smart locks with Siri and Apple's Home app. It costs $75.

Other locks included:
  • Kwikset Premis smart lock

• Friday Smart Lock

Security

The first camera from D-Link's Wi-Fi camera range to be compatible with Apple's HomeKit, the Omna 180 Cam HD, is a network camera for the home that can stream encrypted 1080p video to iOS devices and the Apple TV.

Also of note was the Withings Home Plus, a HomeKit-enabled security camera capable of streaming video over a home network to a mobile device. It can also be used as a baby monitor.

And although not a new product debut, the existing Lyric Home Security and Control System will gain HomeKit support in early 2017 thanks to a forthcoming software update. It the first-ever pro-installed security system with support for Apple's smart home platform.

Other service devices included:
  • Honeywell Lyric Home Security & Control System

• Fibaro Motion Sensor & Door/Window Sensor

Bridging devices

Without a nearby Apple TV or iPad configured as a "Home Hub," Bluetooth Low Energy HomeKit accessories cannot be controlled remotely. But the new ConnectSense Bluetooth Extender HomeKit-certified Bluetooth-to-Wi-Fi bridge coming in 2017 aims to address that shortcoming by providing Bluetooth Low Energy devices access to a user's local Wi-Fi network.

In addition, Internet of Things company Focalcrest has introduced Mixtile Hub, a bridging solution that claims to bridge smart home devices from different brands via Apple iOS devices. The company is able to do this by using competing ZigBee and Z-Wave technologies, they said.

Focalcrest has also obtained Apple MFi certification for the device, allowing for HomeKit communication. Pricing and availability have yet to be released.

The Eve Extend was also released as a device to extend the Bluetooth range for HomeKit devices.

Other: From garages to power strips

Netatmo announced the Smart Smoke Alarm as well as an accompanying indoor siren. The smoke alarm features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, allowing users to receive --and take action on --real-time alerts remotely on their smartphone.

Meanwhile, Netatmo's Indoor Security Siren is a go-along with the company's Welcome camera and door tags. There's also the Velux Active with Netatmo: a centralized window control center that automatically opens and closes roof windows, blinds, and shutters, depending on input from sensors measuring light, temperature, humidity and air quality.

Incipio also announced a new four-outlet smart power strip dubbed the Wireless Smart Power Strip. It will allow users to discretely control and power multiple appliances via one accessory. It essentially turns a series of four "dumb" devices into HomeKit-controlled accessories.

Owners of virtually any garage door opener will be able to use Siri to open, close, or check the status of their garage, and also control its lights, via a new HomeKit-compatible hub accessory coming later this year from later this year from Chamberlain, called the Smart Garage Hub.

Other smart devices unveiled included:
  • First Alert Onelink Environment Monitor

• Carrier Cor smart thermostats

• Sensory Voice Genie

• ConnectSense Temperature and Humidity Sensor

• ConnectSense Water Sensor

patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I would be looking for real security camera. Real one does not look fancy, but can be built in wall and not visible at all (unlike any security dome or fancy casing one like on those pictures). That would be real surveillence security when people do not know they are being observed or where camera might be. The rest is okay. Some ideas are redundant or mot quite practical. Life will show.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Are the WeMo Products HomeKit Compatible ?

• Reply 3 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I would be looking for real security camera. Real one does not look fancy, but can be built in wall and not visible at all (unlike any security dome or fancy casing one like on those pictures). That would be real surveillence security when people do not know they are being observed or where camera might be. The rest is okay. Some ideas are redundant or mot quite practical. Life will show.
    Uh, the point of a security camera is deterrence just as much as surveillance. I want someone to see a camera and think twice about doing something, changing their mind, as opposed to them doing it and then catching them on tap.
    tokyojimutallest skilpropoddoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I've been pretty damn frustrated with homekit so far. I have a Lyric sitting in a drawer and I've been holding out on buying lighting because of the expected hassle. I installed the schlage door lock that I bought from the Apple store (in its nice, Apple-specific packaging) and the *&^%ing thing doesn't even work with iPhone 7 (the tech had me do the set up on my old iPhone 6, but the homekit was too buggy to use, and then it disconnected completely; it's now a $200 dumb lock.) An idevices outdoor plug wouldn't install. Still no homekit compatible garage door opener apparently (although one is supposedly coming). The only smoke/CO alarm I've found has terrible reviews on amazon; not reassuring for a safety device. Why bother creating a platform like this if it's going to be so difficult to use? I can't be the only one with these frustrations. The homekit app was my favorite part of iOS 10. Unfortunately it's been a huge disappointment for me.

In case anyone is interested: I have the nanoleaf aura and it is really great and could not be easier to set up. It's the only functional item on my Apple Home control panel.
    edited January 2017 irelanddoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Does a front door lock exist where I can approach my house and 1. Open my door without removing my iPhone from my pocket, 2. that has a keypad for numbered access and 3. that additionally locks when I leave the house without interacting with the lock or my iPhone.

I want a lock with all three of these features. Not August—which doesn't have all three.
    edited January 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 20
    TomE said:
    Are the WeMo Products HomeKit Compatible ?

No they are not.  They announced they were working on HomeKit compatibility soon after HomeKit was announced by Apple, but they have since reneged on that and announced they are no longer pursuing that work.  Look to Elgato Eve and other plugs for the solution.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    ireland said:
    I want a lock with all three of these features. Not August—which doesn't have all three.
    Also, August is fairly large and, to my eyes, ugly. What I really want is a lock (or door knob) where all of this is integrated, not some large add-on that just manually turns the deadbolt that is already on my door. 

PS: Carrier just announced HomeKit compatibility with their Côr thermostats. 
    ireland
  • Reply 8 of 20

I've been pretty damn frustrated with homekit so far. I have a Lyric sitting in a drawer and I've been holding out on buying lighting because of the expected hassle. I installed the schlage door lock that I bought from the Apple store (in its nice, Apple-specific packaging) and the *&^%ing thing doesn't even work with iPhone 7 (the tech had me do the set up on my old iPhone 6, but the homekit was too buggy to use, and then it disconnected completely; it's now a $200 dumb lock.) An idevices outdoor plug wouldn't install. Still no homekit compatible garage door opener apparently (although one is supposedly coming). The only smoke/CO alarm I've found has terrible reviews on amazon; not reassuring for a safety device. Why bother creating a platform like this if it's going to be so difficult to use? I can't be the only one with these frustrations. The homekit app was my favorite part of iOS 10. Unfortunately it's been a huge disappointment for me.

In case anyone is interested: I have the nanoleaf aura and it is really great and could not be easier to set up. It's the only functional item on my Apple Home control panel.

My experience is the total opposite.  I have lots of Hue lights, Eve sensors, Eve plugs and expect to move my security cameras over to HomeKit compatible ones in the medium term.  Everything works flawlessly - Eve sensors turn off heating, and turn on lights.

Remember HomeKit is the ecosystem, but each manufacturer has to develop a good product.  It's not like Apple makes your door lock.  Install the Lyric, and purchase some Hue lights - you'll be thrilled with how easy things can be.
    StrangeDaysrussw
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Over the past few months have started installing quite a few HomeKit devices: 20 Philips Hue lights, iHome & iDevices items also.  Set-up was easy, one minor problem setting up a single device (and that one was my mistake, iPhone accidentally connected to wrong WiFi during set-up process).  Apple TV4 easily took HomeKit controller role, have a bunch of automations set up that normally work flawlessly; only thing I've noticed is that once a month (or less) it seems like my "Sunrise" automation doesn't seem to kick off.  Family loves all the automation, plus controlling lights and scenes with Siri (although slowest Siri response is always my original-series Apple Watch).  In 3 months only problem I've really had that took awhile to resolve was when I updated my Airport firmware; after restarting over half my Hue lights were unresponsive.  Some online searching and discussion with Philips Customer Service and I resolved within a day - turns out when my Airport rebooted it changed channels that interfered with the Philips Hue ZigBee channel - so a couple ZigBee channel changes and problem was resolved.  Look forward to trying out some of the new devices as they are released!
    edited January 2017 roundaboutnowwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 20
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    voided commment
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 20
    ireland said:
    Does a front door lock exist where I can approach my house and 1. Open my door without removing my iPhone from my pocket, 2. that has a keypad for numbered access and 3. that additionally locks when I leave the house without interacting with the lock or my iPhone.

Check out KiwkSet's Premis lock set, I haven't used it but looks promising. 
    ireland
  • Reply 12 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    slurpy said:
    Uh, the point of a security camera is deterrence just as much as surveillance. I want someone to see a camera and think twice about doing something, changing their mind, as opposed to them doing it and then catching them on tap.
    Yes which is why external POE-type cameras are needed. These inside-on-your-desk cameras are too late by that point. And if you're being robbed they may swipe it too.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 13 of 20
    So where the heck is the Canary HomeKit camera promised to be released LAST FALL?!
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ireland said:

The Schlage SmartSense does except for the first part. But that is due to Apple Security reasons. 1. You can have a location based trigger that will run to unlock the lock. You do have to unlock the iPhone and authorize the script to run. 2. It does have a keypad on the front for unlocking. You can set it up with up to 6 digits code. Can have a code for each person. 3. Using the Schlage app you can set a time delay for auto locking the lock. Several different settings. 
    I use the geofence to unlock the door on arrival. Easy to just pull out the iPhone and unlock it and click ok on the script to run. Can do the same with watch. I use the auto lock feature all the time. Have it set for 2 minute delay. Never have to worry about it at all. Has never failed for me. Plus with Homekit I can unlock the door from anywhere if needed to let someone enter.
    Real happy with the lock
    libertyforallpropod
  • Reply 15 of 20
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I'm glad to see home automation finally, really start to take off at the consumer level. I've only just dipped my toe in with a Philips Hue White Ambiance starter kit, but there is a constant problem— when using the dimmer switch, Siri often fails to connect. I don't know if this is a Hue or an Apple problem. Restarting the bridge fixes it for awhile and recently I found that turning WiFi Off then On via control center fixes it for awhile. Using the Home and Hue app often work when Siri doesn't.  Then suddenly Siri is ok again. My old X-10 stuff was more reliable for years, but lacked the promise of modern day gear. Now it's time for modern gear to deliver on the promises.

The iDevices Instant Switch looks promising in a category starkly lacking in options. I tried the WeMo switches twice and they never worked. Never lit up a light. They're very cheaply made, too. Congratulations to anybody using them successfully. All I want is an On/Off wall switch, no dimmer, that I can control with the phone and Siri. This way I can control any type of bulbs use be they LED, CFL, incandescent (still have a few), dimmable or not, and a heater or something similar. There are three places where that would work perfectly.

I like the August door lock and will be getting one. I don't want a keypad on the outside to indicate it's there's a smartlock inside. As I understand it HomeKit presently doesn't allow proximity unlocking for security reasons. This may be true for unlocking as well. Maybe someone actually knows about this. Hacking a lock is a concern as well as are bump keys and kinetic intrusion. The latter two are fairly easy to mitigate. 

External video cameras may provide some level of deterrence, but there are far too many videos of criminals not seeing them or ignoring them completely. Not to mention almost as many that are of poor enough quality as to be worthless in court. Don't count on it as a deterrent and get one with very good image quality.

An indoor security camera or two stand a better chance of getting up close identification video, so a wireless, discreet camera with very good image quality is worthwhile. Chasing your dog off the good sofa is a perk. The issue is— where will the video be stored. Cloud storage costs money. I'd want an on-site, hidden receiver/drive with a cloud option. Take computers, cameras, whatever but still have the video. Burglary is such a high volume crime that without really good IDs there's a poor chance of catching someone let alone successfully prosecuting them.

We all know that enterprising criminals can get by most any security device if they try hard enough, and locks only keep honest people out blah blah blah, especially with home security. Equipment is not industrial strength and police response is often too slow. But you do what you can because something is almost always better than nothing. Otherwise, why bother locking your doors at all.
    edited January 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 20
    ireland said:

The Schlage SmartSense does except for the first part. But that is due to Apple Security reasons. 1. You can have a location based trigger that will run to unlock the lock. You do have to unlock the iPhone and authorize the script to run. 2. It does have a keypad on the front for unlocking. You can set it up with up to 6 digits code. Can have a code for each person. 3. Using the Schlage app you can set a time delay for auto locking the lock. Several different settings. 
    I use the geofence to unlock the door on arrival. Easy to just pull out the iPhone and unlock it and click ok on the script to run. Can do the same with watch. I use the auto lock feature all the time. Have it set for 2 minute delay. Never have to worry about it at all. Has never failed for me. Plus with Homekit I can unlock the door from anywhere if needed to let someone enter.
    Real happy with the lock
    None of what you said is true if you have an iPhone 7. In my view it's unethical for them to sell a product that is supposed to work with iPhone 7 but does not. And as far as I know there has not been any software fixes. If it worked as advertised, I'd love the lock. But apparently Schlage is a sleazy company that refuses to support their products properly.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    slurpy said:
    Security camera = Theft deterrence
    Hidden camera = Spying, i.e. catching your wife cheating
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 18 of 20

My experience is the total opposite.  I have lots of Hue lights, Eve sensors, Eve plugs and expect to move my security cameras over to HomeKit compatible ones in the medium term.  Everything works flawlessly - Eve sensors turn off heating, and turn on lights.

Remember HomeKit is the ecosystem, but each manufacturer has to develop a good product.  It's not like Apple makes your door lock.  Install the Lyric, and purchase some Hue lights - you'll be thrilled with how easy things can be.
    It's actually reassuring to hear that. I haven't heard any complaints about Hue so far, and I'm planning to get a lot of their lights in the near future. Looking forward to setting it up. Those sensors seem pretty interesting as well.

I understand that Apple isn't directly responsible for everything, but for the sake of the overall user experience with the Apple ecosystem the current state of affairs seems pretty unfortunate. You'd expect Apple to do something about it. Especially when they're selling a lock in their own store (schlage) that doesn't work with their most current products (iPhone 7). You'd think someone at Apple might pick up the phone and give someone at schlage a call....

I'm not a doom and gloomer regarding Apple, at all, but there are a few select areas of Apple that are sloppy and seem to lack much oversight. And nearly every time it seems related to services. Siri still is dysfunctional for basic things. I can't say "get me directions to BLANK on BLANK street," doesn't work, just gives a list you have to chose from.. I'm going to stop myself now before I get too carried away
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ireland said:

Real happy with the lock
    How do you do the geofence w/Schlage?  I have one, but have not seen a geofence option!
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:

Check out KiwkSet's Premis lock set, I haven't used it but looks promising. 
    Doesn't have proximity unlocking. I want this feature.