Rumored 10.5-inch iPad may align with dimensions of iPad mini, resolution of iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's rumored plans for a 10.5-inch iPad -- not much larger than 9.7-inch models -- may make more sense when considering the size of the iPad mini, and the resolution of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

When Apple revealed the 12.9-inch Pro in Sept. 2015, the company made a point of highlighting that the new tablet's width matched the Air 2's height, Studio Neat's Dan Provost commented on Wednesday in a blog post. This allowed two full-sized windows to be displayed side-by-side in iOS 9's iPad multitasking.

If the 10.5-inch iPad keeps the same resolution as the 12.9-inch model -- 2,732 by 2,048 -- but given the pixel density of the iPad mini at 326 pixels per inch, the width of a 10.5-inch iPad would be the same height as the Mini.

Apple is rumored to be launching three new iPads this quarter, the other two being updated 9.7- and 12.9-inch models. The 10.5- and 12.9-inch units may sport an A10X precessor, relegating the 9.7-inch size to budget status.

There have been no indications that Apple is planning to update the Mini, which could mean that the Mini 4 will remain the most recent "small" iPad or get cut completely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    This is hard to understand.  Why would a new size be scaled to be twice the size of the mini if the mini is to be jettisoned?

And a 10.5" iPad would now be subject to the Office licensing standards (where Office must be paid for screen sizes greater than 10.1").

And, would Apple really make a family as densely packed as 9.7", 10.5", and 12.9"?

This all seems a bit hard to believe.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I do not care about resolution at this point as I am not going to use magnifier for display content. However I do care about size to fit my hand, bag and pocket for transport. It will never be in my habd most of the time - most of the time it will be away and carried. Do any user have the similar understanding? I see people on streets using iPad for reading. Mini size is enough. Resolution for books is suffiecient. Also it is sufficient for movies so what is the point of increasing resolution? Sounds like old misguided ideas of increasing number of colors while human perception is limited.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Pure speculation, but perhaps the 5.5" iPhones have lessened the demand for an iPad Mini. Personally, I love my 9.7" Pro. It is the perfect size for what I do with an iPad.
    edited January 2017 albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I do not care about resolution at this point as I am not going to use magnifier for display content.
    The increase in pixel density doesn't affect feature size but sharpness of the features. A 10 point font at 72 pixels per inch is rendered the same size as a 10 point font at 300 pixels per inch. One is difficult to read for long periods of time, the other is just fine for an afternoons reading. Similarly, not everyone's rods and cones have the same density on the retina. Nor even the same color perception as they may have different variants of the rod shifting their color perception. Some women even see more shades by virtue of having multiple varieties of cones for the "same" color. So higher density is a good thing, better color pallet is a good thing. Not everyone sees the same things the same way.
    mike1baederboyRayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 24
    This is hard to understand.  Why would a new size be scaled to be twice the size of the mini if the mini is to be jettisoned?

And a 10.5" iPad would now be subject to the Office licensing standards (where Office must be paid for screen sizes greater than 10.1").

And, would Apple really make a family as densely packed as 9.7", 10.5", and 12.9"?

This all seems a bit hard to believe.
    1) developer's can cannabilize existing code and use their mini layouts for the 2Up page set up.

2) That's the user and Microsoft's problem.  Apple isn't bundling MSOffice.

3) 9.7 will be like the SE, 10.5 and 12.9 are the new form factor.

4) I don't see a reason why the Mini won't be retained at the same outward everything.  I do think the 5.5" phone will soon become slightly larger with less bezel and be close enough to replace the Mini for 'hand size' 
    4.1) Apple makes ~2X the profit on a iPhone than an iPad Mini.  I see writing on the wall.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    T.j.p. said:
    I do not care about resolution at this point as I am not going to use magnifier for display content.
    The increase in pixel density doesn't affect feature size but sharpness of the features. A 10 point font at 72 pixels per inch is rendered the same size as a 10 point font at 300 pixels per inch. One is difficult to read for long periods of time, the other is just fine for an afternoons reading. Similarly, not everyone's rods and cones have the same density on the retina. Nor even the same color perception as they may have different variants of the rod shifting their color perception. Some women even see more shades by virtue of having multiple varieties of cones for the "same" color. So higher density is a good thing, better color pallet is a good thing. Not everyone sees the same things the same way.
    Aren't we already at "retina" resolution across the board?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I thought Apple would go with two iPad lines. Two "regular" iPads, Air and Mini and two iPad Pro's.

But, perhaps Apple see's no real competition in the tablet category and are going w/ with the regular size Air (eliminating the Mini) and have the 2 Pro designs with value added, keyboards and pens. This way they can keep the entry price north of $500. (They can trim bezels add features to their heart's content.)

Some product symmetry there; one MacBook (eventually eliminating the MacBook Air), two MacBook Pro's 13" and 15" (eventually eliminating the MBP "esc"). And again, keeping the price of admission north of $1,000.

P.S. Perhaps Apple is looking at the sales of the iPhone Plus. I.e, people are going w/ Plus size iPhones and forgoing iPad Mini's and Air's. I know my daughter said she's going all in w/ the iPhone 7 Plus and maxing out on the memory/storage size. I have a Mini and I'm seriously thinking of doing the same thing. iPhone Plus, no iPad's, MacBook, ATV, AppleWatch, AirPods.

edited January 2017 jkichline
  • Reply 8 of 24
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mike1 said:
    Pure speculation, but perhaps the 5.5" iPhones have lessened the demand for an iPad Mini. Personally, I love my 9.7" Pro. It is the perfect size for what I do what an iPad.
    I had the original iPad, and then purchased a Mini when it first came out.  The very light weight was nice, and screen size fine, but when the Air came out (well Air 2 for me), I was happy to go back to the larger 9.7" form factor.  For me anyways, this size at its current weight and thinness is great.  It is not like I can carry the Mini in a pocket - both go into the computer bag or other - so I prefer the 9.7" with the bigger screen.

As for why a 10.5" (or similar) size for a new iPad, perhaps it is as simple as wanting to differentiate the pro lines from the lower priced iPads.  It is no doubt confusing for some consumers that one 9.7" iPad starts at $399, and the other at $599, but both look exactly the same.  They can introduce the lower priced pro to a slightly higher size (and I am sure Apple will have an explanation for "why this size" - perhaps the 2xMini screens side-by-side), and keeping the likely still very popular 9.7" Air 2 size (updated to get it current again).

While we all wish Apple would update the Mini, it could be that it has seen the greatest impact in the sales decline, and so the Mini 4 will continue to be sold as the iPad entry point for a lower price, taking over from the Mini 2 (which undoubtably will be retired).  The Mini 4 could stay in the lineup for a couple of years in this manner - it is not like the A8 is a slouch.
  • Reply 9 of 24

FWIW, below is an image of an iMac 27" 5K Display (5120 x 2880, 218 PPI) shown on an iPad Pro 12.9" Display (2732 x 2048,  264 PPI) using the Screens App.  It handles the larger display quite nicely.  I'm hoping the next iPad Pro has the capability run the same things on the iPad alone (without the Mac).

edited January 2017
  • Reply 10 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    There are plenty of people that are very, very happy having a standard iPhone and an iPad mini.  People that read a lot, want the functionality of an iOS device rather than a dedicated reader, but do not want the bulk of a plus iPhone or a full size iPad.  The mini fits a lot better in a handbag.

But the most important reason: do not leave a gap in the market.  It leaves space for your competitors.
    tmay
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I had the original iPhone and when the iPad came out later, I bought one of those, too. I was super impressed with the iPad. The thing I remember most was how the iPad forced businesses with crappy websites to up their game b/c of the iPad. Sites that were just terrible (I'm thinking real estate websites here in the US). But, very quickly they got on board with iOS and the iOS versions were so much improved over the web based sites. Pretty much across the board. So much so that it was a genuine pleasure to work on the iPad than have to go thru their websites. i will always be appreciative to Stevo/Apple and the iPad for that simple reason.

P.S. That was along time ago, BTW.
    edited January 2017 baederboy
  • Reply 12 of 24
    entropys said:
    There are plenty of people that are very, very happy having a standard iPhone and an iPad mini.  People that read a lot, want the functionality of an iOS device rather than a dedicated reader, but do not want the bulk of a plus iPhone or a full size iPad.  The mini fits a lot better in a handbag.

But the most important reason: do not leave a gap in the market.  It leaves space for your competitors.
    Good points. My daughter has an iPhone, iPad Mini, the Apple Watch and a MacBook Air. She's the first one to say, "it's a first world problem," but, she loves not having to take her iPhone out of her purse or pocket of her scrubs every time she's gets a text. And she get's hundreds a day from nurses and other doctors. So having the Apple Watch is allowing to go with the 7 Plus, b/c she doesn't have to handle the iPhone as much. :)

I currently have a Mini too and I love it. I got it, just as you say, for reading, organizing Notes and also, I feel more comfortable looking at it when I'm out having lunch or dinner as opposed to pulling out a laptop. But I am carrying around two devices - Mini and iPhone.

I take your point to keep the Mini in the line-up until sales dwindle. Apple, obviously, has the sales statistics, but it seems to me the Plus' sales are going up and the iPad Mini's are going down. Just guessing, of course. Anyway...

Best.
    edited January 2017 stantheman
  • Reply 13 of 24
    RSO53RSO53 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Every child is know as an ipad mini so it would be madness to cease production of one of the most popular sizes of ipad. 
    stantheman
  • Reply 14 of 24
    I agree that a 10.5" screen doesn't make sense unless it's meant to replace the 9.7". A 10.5" screen only adds 1/3" to the height of the screen and 1/4" to its width. If they were adding a mid-tier iPad Pro, something closer to 11.25" makes the most sense, splitting the difference in proportions between the 9.7" and the 10.5".
  • Reply 15 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    RSO53 said:
    Every child is know as an ipad mini so it would be madness to cease production of one of the most popular sizes of ipad. 
    Well, yes.  Unless the replacement is completely superior.  The iPod mini was replaced withe iPod nano.  

In this case though the ipad mini has not been upgraded for some time, and it is not clear if there is a replacement.  If Apple abandons this size it will leave space for competitors with consumers that want a reader size, full featured tablet and thus want something smaller than an ipad but bigger than a phablet.  Why give competitors a chance?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apple is rumored to be launching three new iPads this quarter ...
    If one of the bigger next-gen iPads has 3D Touch, I'll buy it.
    Otherwise I'll just keep my 12.9" 1st-gen iPad Pro.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,293member
    The iPad Mini isn't the model for me, but I think it's a mistake to dump it. My impression is that kids -- with their little hands and young eyes --  love it. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I don't understand how iPad and iPhone sales can be dropping but Apple doesn't want to update the mini to a proper spec and add pencil support? I love my 9.7 inch Pro, but if I had stupid money I'd readily buy a mini and a 13 inch!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    "the width of a 10.5-inch iPad would be the same height as the Mini."  Not sure what this means but I enjoyed the momentary anomaly in my brain.

Great commentary from everyone, glad to be here.  Cheers!

• Reply 20 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Agree with some of the above comments - there's precious little difference between a 9.7" and a 10.5" screen. moving up to a 12.9" screen is a much bigger jump. Either way I wish they'd hurry up. My iPad 2 is ready to die and I'm waiting for the new models to get a new one... (of course I was doing that with my MacBook air and got burned with the new MacBook pros...)