Mac sales stabilize in Q4 amid worldwide PC shipment decline

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    macxpress said:
    Apple will never match Dell in sales and I seriously doubt it cares to, even with a MacBook that had a USB-A and SD Card Reader. Thats just stupid talk there. Sounds to me like you're just pissed because you ordered something and Apple couldn't make it fast enough for you. 
    Stupid is as stupid does, and look what you just did.  Name-calling lies at the very heart of what most of us consider stupid.  And to top it off, there wasn't anything inherently stupid in my previous post at all.  And to say I am "pissed," well... I just used the restroom a few moments ago and I assure you my lower parts are clean as a whistle.

As to speed, the 2015 and 2016 models are roughly the same.  No one said anything about speed, nor do I think it matters.  What DOES matter are ports and slots.

I recall very fondly of the single best Classic Macintosh in the 1980's B&W form factor.  Guess which model?  Mac Plus?  Nope. Classic?  Not a chance.  It's the SE/30 -- a machine Apple came out with after Steve was ousted.  That doesn't mean Apple did everything right after Steve left.  They screw up royally and needed him back.  But the fact remains that giving users flexibility wins their love more often than not.  Consider well how the success of the Apple II rested entirely on its incredible upgradability.  And while forum dwellers and Apple defenders will cry, "but the 2016 MBP gives you all that," the fact is it only gives you that with unsightly and less than practical dongles.  Again, the 2015 MBP is truly the PRO machine here.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    I think Cook has an interest in what his engineers are doing. Please post links that show otherwise. 
    Yes, and we all share our personal opinions here as we analyze data and facts.  And the fact is that Tim does not micromanage his engineers like Steve did.  Steve was always in engineering and around the design team to stick his nose into their business.  Tim has a different style.  And while Apple has come out with great products, none of them really make our jaw drop to the floor as we explain, "My God!  They've done it again!  Holy Cow!"  

The day Apple makes me sing "Wow!  I mean, WOW!" is the day they garner much deserved praise again, not only from myself, but from you, and from the press, and from the rest of the world.  You may not be able to wow the people all the time, but once every 5 or 6 years should be realistic.  And my goodness, who among us doesn't want to be wowed and shocked to near heart failure?  I certainly do.  So press toward a higher goal and let's stop defending the status quo of things.  Call me insane, but I think perpetually of the great.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jdw said:
    Soli said:
    1) Why should you or I "feel bad" (or "feel good," for that matter) that Dell had a certain number of unit shipments in a quarter. Their unit shipment mean nothing to me as a Mac user. 
    Laughable insofar as the entire article focuses on that data which includes Dell.  If the article had excluded all those companies which "mean nothing to you," then the article could not have been entitled "Mac sales stabilize in Q4 amid worldwide PC shipment decline."  In other words, those PC companies that OTHERWISE wouldn't matter to you and I matter very much to give this article life.  Those stupid Windows PC companies are the "frame of reference" on which the article stands.

With that in mind though, the article title is clearly NOT talking about Dell, as per the data.

If those new 2016 MBP's are as great as some people make them out to be, the data should have showed Apple besting Dell.  But that isn't what we see.  And for those people bragging about how many 2016 MBPs Apple sold, imagine how much more they would have sold had the machine been a proper BRIDGE machine -- bridging the USB-A & SD card needs of today with the USB-C requirements of tomorrow.  Just 1 USB-A port and retaining the SD card slot would have silenced most of the critics.  I myself had a 2016 MBP 15" fully loaded machine on order with ADORAMA for a month.  I had to cancel because even well into December they could not tell me when it would ship.  I considered that a Divine command to buy a fully loaded 2015 15" MBP (with dGPU) instead, and I am so glad I did.  The only thing I really miss is TouchID.  Other than that, the 2015 model has it all and is truly PRO.  
    1) I never said that those companies mean nothing to me. I look at the data objectively so emotion (i.e.: "feeling bad") isn't a factor.

2) Your assumptions are silly if you think that the new MBPs aren't great because Dell sold more units than Apple in Oct–Dec 2016. There's absolutely no correlation to your "Dell sold more units so the new MBPs must suck donkey balls" hypothesis posted as a theory.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Soli said: 
    Your assumptions are silly if ...
    As if the mention of a donkey's reproductive organs is somehow a non-silly way to emphasize a point.  :-)

AppleInsider forum posts are so off the beaten track that I can't help but come back and feast upon them daily.  Thanks to one and all for helping me Think Different!
  • Reply 45 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jdw said:
    Soli said: 
    As if the mention of a donkey's reproductive organs is somehow a non-silly way to emphasize a point.  :-)

AppleInsider forum posts are so off the beaten track that I can't help but come back and feast upon them daily.  Thanks to one and all for helping me Think Different!
    As Steve Jobs himself stated, it's not about thinking different, it's about thinking better. Only narrcassistic dickholes want to be perceived as "different" for its own sake.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    Soli said:
    jdw said:
    Soli said: 

As Steve Jobs himself stated, it's not about thinking different, it's about thinking better. Only narrcassistic dickholes want to be perceived as "different" for its own sake.
    I dunno. I find it hard to believe the last Mac Pro design didn't have Sr least an element of that.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    nht said:
    birko said:
    cropr said:.
    If there is one PC supplier that Tim Cook is watching it must be Dell.  The Dell XPS is probably the only real competitor of the Macbook Pro
    I agree. The just announced XPS 2-in-1 is a great idea - unfortunately only announced running windows which means I will not be buying it. If they release a Linux version I seriously consider it for my next away from home machine.
    1) If you don't know how to install Linux over windows then Linux is not the right solution for you.

2) The normal XPS 13 come in a developer edition with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  I don't know anyone that bought one...everyone I know bought the windows version so they had a dual boot option.  Often they do a coupon code discount and if you downgrade to Win 10 Home and apply the coupon it's the same price as the Ubuntu version so why not?

3) Touch screen support in Linux still sucks.  You probably want Elementary over the Ubuntu install Dell usually does.
    Installing Linux over windows is normally not a problem. Done it numerous times.

But I am not sure how I would go getting it to change to tablet mode and disable keyboard when converted. If it can be done, it may be beyond my skill set at the moment. If you think it will be easy let me know.

Thanks
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Soli said:
    Only narrcassistic dickholes want...
    You seem well versed in what they want.  Curious.

Some flock to Apple forums not to engage in calm discourse about Apple products but instead to repeatedly lambast their fellow man.  That too is curious.

Since our dialog is clearly in the realm of the Borg (my resistance to your personal attacks being futile), perhaps I can steer your wrath into the following wormhole:

If you were in a key power position at Apple, what big change (if any) would you make to the company?