Apple debuts first AirPods TV commercials, Apple Watch ad focusing on activity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    NY1822 said:
    now we know what kind of music 90% of the commercials on tv will be using in their ads...so funny how almost instantly all new commercials imitate the same music Apple uses in their latest commercials...pay attention when watching tv, it's quite commical
    What they really need is more dialog, more talking/voice about the product.  I know about the product because I am a shareholder and follow the news about the company.  That's the only reason I knew what the product was.  Most people have never heard of the product and watching an ad with a man walking sideways and hearing music, yet no voice describing the product is really worthless.  Get a clue apple advertising department.  Not very effective message.  
    friedmud
  • Reply 22 of 55
    A wonderful ad (Lil Buck). It made me look up at the TV from my iPad (which is normally what I am buried in, during commercials). Catchy music, intriguing visuals, not sure of what the product is really, and then, boom, you see the AirPods. It's clearly trying to convey the idea that they're not at risk of falling off anytime soon.  

In fact, this is the most interesting, edgy ad I've seen from Apple in a while. Not sappy in the least. Reminded me (vaguely) of the iconic "Lose Youself" ad that propelled the iPod into the stratosphere.  
    Now think about a person that has never seen or heard of apple airpods.  The ad would make no sense at all because there is no audio describing the product or even saying something like "New from apple, try the blue tooth airpods" .  I think it was very poorly done.  
  • Reply 23 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A wonderful ad (Lil Buck). It made me look up at the TV from my iPad (which is normally what I am buried in, during commercials). Catchy music, intriguing visuals, not sure of what the product is really, and then, boom, you see the AirPods. It's clearly trying to convey the idea that they're not at risk of falling off anytime soon.  

In fact, this is the most interesting, edgy ad I've seen from Apple in a while. Not sappy in the least. Reminded me (vaguely) of the iconic "Lose Youself" ad that propelled the iPod into the stratosphere.  
    Now think about a person that has never seen or heard of apple [iPod].  The ad would make no sense at all because there is no audio describing the product or even saying something like "New from apple, try the [new iPod]" .  I think it was very poorly done.  
    1) Those ads were a huge success to Apple.

2) Look into how teaser ads for an unknown product can help generate interest better than having a narrator run down a list of features.
    equality72521
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Now think about a person that has never seen or heard of apple airpods.  The ad would make no sense at all because there is no audio describing the product or even saying something like "New from apple, try the blue tooth airpods" .  I think it was very poorly done.  

I think it's one of their better adverts (and I haven't been a fan of their recent work). The ad is brilliant because it tells the watcher everything they need to know in an engaging and very subtle way.

To begin with, he pairs  them and takes them out of the case. Notice that the only bits that are in colour are the green lights to indicate that the device is connected to the phone. Also notice that the ad has been shot to clearly show the devices in his ears aren't connected by wires. Also note that they demonstrate the AirPods don't fall out.

That is all the information needed, without saying a word. Now let's look at your suggested improvement:

audio describing the product or even saying something like "New from apple, try the blue tooth airpods" .

What 
    you’ve described there is a car ad from the seventies, and not a particularly good one because asking people to try something immediately shows a lack of confidence in your product. 

equality72521SoliStrangeDayskevin keewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Apple has the gaul. 
    Releasing ads for a product that's seriously defective. 
    You can't  make a phone call on these AirPods without it dropping the blue tooth connection multiple times. 
    Im talking about 5-8 drops in 10 minutes. 
    Instead of fixing this major bug, apple release AirPod ads for something that doesn't work??? 
    These AirPods are a beta product at best. 
    i have lost all faith in apple. 
    Link to the AirPod disconnection issue below. 
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7795564?start=0&tstart=0

By the way, I also sent an email to Appleinsider about 3 weeks ago telling them about the defective AirPods and they still haven't published a story. 
    Appleinsider is in cahoots with apple!!!!!

They work perfectly for me.

Instead of ranting about it: just return them and move on with your life.  Apple has a very good return policy.
    equality72521brucemcMikeymikewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 55

These are my second pair of headphones. 
    If you took the time to read the forum I linked you'd see it mostly a problem for people that have apple watches.
    i think the Apple Watch and the headphones are competing for the same Bluetooth connection with the phone.  
    Still an Apple problem that should have been tested by apple. 
    They released the product prematurely because they were trying to keep their promise to release before xmas. 
    Again, they work perfectly well with my Series 0 Apple Watch and my iPhone 7.

If you don't like them, return them.
    equality72521brucemcStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not only will black AirPods show up this year, they'll be more expensive and have some extra sporty feature. 
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Was lucky enough to get some for Christmas, and have been using them daily since then including 3+ hour commute to London and back each day. Faultless. Apple Watch and iPhone 6. Phone calls, music and podcasts. No bother. Charging superb. Battery life superb. Audio clarity superb. You get the idea. Truly brilliant product, so Apple. 

Even in London though, mine are the only pair I've seen. Truly scarce item, and a few stares at mine. 
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55

That's your view. I think the opposite. 

Category 1: Someone who did not know of AirPods but saw the Apple logo. (S)he would wonder "what the heck was that", and would follow up to find out. 

Category 2: Someone who already knew AirPods. So, the ad would resonate.

Category 3: Someone who's neither heard of Apple nor knows its logo. I don't think they would fall into Apple's 'potential customer' segment.

(Oh, fwiw, I am an Apple shareholder too).
    edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Apple has the gaul. 
    Releasing ads for a product that's seriously defective. 
    You can't  make a phone call on these AirPods without it dropping the blue tooth connection multiple times. 
    Im talking about 5-8 drops in 10 minutes. 
    Instead of fixing this major bug, apple release AirPod ads for something that doesn't work??? 
    These AirPods are a beta product at best. 
    i have lost all faith in apple. 
    Link to the AirPod disconnection issue below. 
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7795564?start=0&tstart=0

By the way, I also sent an email to Appleinsider about 3 weeks ago telling them about the defective AirPods and they still haven't published a story. 
    Appleinsider is in cahoots with apple!!!!!

I assume you are kidding, right?  You wrote to AI and they didn't immediately publish a story? Outrageous!

My advice - return EarPods and iPhone and go somewhere else.  There are alternatives and what is the point if you have lost faith in Apple?
    StrangeDaysbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 55
    The ad is great! It'll make customers want to run out and buy those AirPods that will arrive in early March! Fortunately, I ordered mine over a week ago so I only have to wait 5 more weeks. In all seriousness, I can't wait to get them based on the reviews and the functionality. I'm so sick of the wire, especially now that it is in the middle of the phone and annoys the heck out of me in my pocket (and probably more sick of it because in my head I know my AirPods aren't that far off).
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 55
    feederfeeder Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I'm just going to pick them up off the ground when they fall out of peoples ears, eventually I'll have a set. That's how I got my 7 other bluetooth earbuds.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    These are my second pair of headphones. 
    If you took the time to read the forum I linked you'd see it mostly a problem for people that have apple watches.
    i think the Apple Watch and the headphones are competing for the same Bluetooth connection with the phone.  
    Still an Apple problem that should have been tested by apple. 
    They released the product prematurely because they were trying to keep their promise to release before xmas. 
    I have a Watch. They are not "competing for BT connection". Newsflash: Apple employees also have Watches and tested with them.

If it was a disastrous defect of the sort you describe we'd all experience it, and yours is the first I've heard of it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 55
    NY1822 said:
    now we know what kind of music 90% of the commercials on tv will be using in their ads...so funny how almost instantly all new commercials imitate the same music Apple uses in their latest commercials...pay attention when watching tv, it's quite commical
    What they really need is more dialog, more talking/voice about the product.  I know about the product because I am a shareholder and follow the news about the company.  That's the only reason I knew what the product was.  Most people have never heard of the product and watching an ad with a man walking sideways and hearing music, yet no voice describing the product is really worthless.  Get a clue apple advertising department.  Not very effective message.  
    Oh, right -- the company who successfully made tech a lifestyle product needs your help on advertising. 

Let me ask you -- the 1984 Mac ad is considered perhaps the best commercial ever. Guess what it didn't have? Answer: a narrator "describing the product". Don't quit your day job. Also, consider selling.
    edited January 2017 Soliequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 55

How quaint. Perfect for a slot on the Prairie Home Companion. 
    all day breakfastwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 55
    NY1822 said:
    Adverts on TV? How quaint and old fashioned.
    :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 55
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Whats with all of these 1 post trolls all of sudden signing up just to post crap? Where are the mods?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Whats with all of these 1 post trolls all of sudden signing up just to post crap? Where are the mods?
    Too much cost to have people on staff? WE have a choice not to respond to those posts. I know I can do better to ignore the trolls.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 55
    equality72521 said:

Even in London though, mine are the only pair I've seen. Truly scarce item, and a few stares at mine. 
    I'm in London and have been surprised by how many times I've seen them, maybe 5 or 6 which I consider a lot given the back orders and all. Curious huh?
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    NY1822 said:
    Wow. Hey, we've got an ad critic from 1958!
    equality72521StrangeDays