Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day with quote on website

Posted:
in General Discussion
Acknowledging the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Apple on Monday updated the front page of its website with a photo of and quote from the legendary civil rights leader, calling on people to fight for equality.

"Commit yourself to the noble struggle for equal rights," King said. "You will make a greater person of yourself, a greater nation of your country, and a finer world to live in."

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook also took to Twitter to honor King, whose memory is celebrated with a national holiday on the third Monday of January each year. Cook said King inspires him to "help achieve justice and equality," and shared a quote:

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."

Cook has named King as one of his personal heroes, and is a regular donor to the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization, which honored him with its "Ripple of Hope" award in 2015. Over the years, Cook has spoken out on a number of causes important to him, including LGBT rights, gender and race equality, climate change, online privacy, and Syrian refugees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Pretty powerful stuff.  It is just crazy to think that equal rights did not exist at one point.  I know some people / companies are still struggling with this but for the most part a significant part of the world has moved forward in a proper way.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    A Martin Luther King Day homily:

The always-with-you computer business is different from all other kinds of businesses.

From "a bicycle for the mind" and "Think Different" to Tim Cook's emphasis on inclusivity, Apple has always been in the business of consciousness-raising — using its tools, of course. 

This is as it should be, because they're very powerful tools, and they can be used for consciousness-dimming purposes, as we've seen recently. Powerful tools should come with advisories and warnings. Use them to spread knowledge and good vibes, says Apple.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Pretty powerful stuff.  It is just crazy to think that equal rights did not exist at one point.  I know some people / companies are still struggling with this but for the most part a significant part of the world has moved forward in a proper way.
    And its crazy that equal rights still don't exist at THIS  point. We've got to stay hungry and get smarter. We seem to be falling behind again . . .

edited January 2017 canukstormSoli
  • Reply 4 of 12
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    The fight for equal rights for all Americans is far from over, thank you Martin Luther King for your brilliance, courage and showing us the way. 
    retrogustoration al
  • Reply 5 of 12
    flaneur said:
    And its crazy that equal rights still don't exist at THIS  point. We've got to stay hungry and get smarter. We seem to be falling behind again . . .

It is ignorant to think that equal rights fully exists...it is equally ignorant to think that it does not exist.  Even thought the world has not fully embraced this concept there are many of us who have.  This is individuals and also companies and communities.
    gtr
  • Reply 6 of 12
    For the record:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/02/fbi-director-hoover-s-dirty-files-excerpt-from-ronald-kessler-s-the-secrets-of-the-fbi.html

We have holidays named after people but they are still terribly flawed people. No one should be lifted up as perfect human beings and their lives should be viewed in context.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Appropriate given Tim Cook has stated MLK is one of his heroes.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    For the record:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/02/fbi-director-hoover-s-dirty-files-excerpt-from-ronald-kessler-s-the-secrets-of-the-fbi.html

We have holidays named after people but they were still terribly flawed people.
    Too bad we never got the goods on J. Edgar. Are any in the book? If so, I'll check it out.

But since you brought this up, King was also a human rights hero, thus the holiday.
    edited January 2017 ration alsingularity
  • Reply 9 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    flaneur said:
    For the record:

Too bad we never got the goods on J. Edgar. Are any in the book? If so, I'll check it out.

But since you brought this up, King was also a human rights hero, thus the holiday.

It's not like Hoover had a personal agenda he was pursuing, after all.

And in addition to being a human rights hero, King was also assassinated by the KKK. So, if nothing else, having a holiday named after him must be annoying to them. That's reason enough to celebrate.

retrogustotokyojimuration alsingularity
  • Reply 10 of 12
    anome said:
    flaneur said:
    For the record:

And in addition to being a human rights hero, King was also assassinated by the KKK. So, if nothing else, having a holiday named after him must be annoying to them. That's reason enough to celebrate.

I have no issues with there being a Martin Luther King Day, but I do have a problem with it being a paid holiday for government employees. Government employees receiving any paid holidays is a misuse of taxpayer money.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    anome said:
    flaneur said:
    For the record:

I have no issues with there being a Martin Luther King Day, but I do have a problem with it being a paid holiday for government employees. Government employees receiving any paid holidays is a misuse of taxpayer money.
    It's not like they're paid by the hour and get extra because of one heroic guy who was assassinated in the sixties. They receive a salary, and like anybody, they get a certain number of days off, which is part of their calculation when they are choosing a job and career. A few of my relatives are or have been government employees (schoolteacher, police officer...) and I can assure you that they work very hard and barely scrape by, if that's any consolation. I always worked in the private sector, worked less and made 3-4x as much as them.

anomejSnively
  • Reply 12 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:
    flaneur said:
    For the record:

Yeah, it's like those government employees think they're people or something.
    singularityjSnively