Android creator Andy Rubin plans AI-equipped smartphone with edge-to-edge display, ceramic...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    512ke said:
    Sounds like more of a potential threat to Android.
    Depending on price and whatever their plans are for the OS.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 22 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    One source indicated that Rubin is aiming to ship the phone as soon as mid-2017.
    That seems really soon for this coming up now and seems suspect. It feels more like a play for a quick buyout with weak patents and promises.
    caliStrangeDayscornchippatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Very cool to see what becomes of this. Anything to keep the industry interesting and moving forward is a good sign. The more the talent pool wades in the waters with zest and determination, the better.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Makes me think of a decaf, non-fat milk latte...you know, the "Why Bother?"
    watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 25 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The guy who didn't contribute to modern day android will create a new iKnockoff.

whats the point?
    watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 26 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cali said:
    The guy who didn't contribute to modern day android will create a new iKnockoff.

whats the point?
    That ship has sailed and docked 50 times. Let her go.
    qwweraanton zuykov
  • Reply 27 of 43
    This guy is a nut case.  He is not going after Apple, he is going after Google for kicking him out.
    Every time he gets kicked out of a company, he builds a competing product and sells it to a competitor.

First he was kicked out of Apple so he stole Apple ideas and brought them to Google.
    Then he got kicked out of Google so now he is going after Google in hopes that Samsung may buy Essentials.

SolipatchythepirateSpamSandwichcornchipwatto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 28 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    A team of 40?

Apple is reputed to have 800 working on just cameras/imaging.

This looks like nothing more than a vanity project unless and until Essential ships, and any innovation that they might bring to the market will quickly be absorbed by the Android OEM's.

Unless Essential targets a Windows whatever device where they would immediately be a big presence in that market.
    brucemcbadmonkcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Andy, I suggest you talk with Neil Young (Pono) and Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook Phone) about releasing new hardware to unseat Apple in a mature market. It doesn't always work out the way you hope...
    edited January 2017 patchythepiratebadmonkcornchipwatto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 30 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Aside from the ceramic case, it sounds like he is building the rumoured iPhone 8...

No matter how good a product that might come, a new mobile OS seems like a lost cause.  It keeps the news interesting though. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43
    ireland said:
    Plans AI- equipped smartphone? As opposed to?
    Gives me the opportunity to roll out this old video again:

StrangeDayssuddenly newton
  • Reply 32 of 43
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    I like his helicopter.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    This guy is a nut case.  He is not going after Apple, he is going after Google for kicking him out.
    Every time he gets kicked out of a company, he builds a competing product and sells it to a competitor.

First he was kicked out of Apple so he stole Apple ideas and brought them to Google.
    Then he got kicked out of Google so now he is going after Google in hopes that Samsung may buy Essentials.

Revenge can be a very effective motivator.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    ireland said:
    Plans AI- equipped smartphone? As opposed to?
    Gives me the opportunity to roll out this old video again:

Ha!
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Andy, I suggest you talk with Neil Young (Pono) and Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook Phone) about releasing new hardware to unseat Apple in a mature market. It doesn't always work out the way you hope...
    Include Jeff Bezos (Fire Phone) in that set.
    slprescottStrangeDayswatto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 36 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    waltg said:
    More competition Apple! While I like my Apple products, and own stock I see them falling behind, I call Siri a dump b**** all the time, fire up google, ask it, get the answer pow! Same thing with the maps! Come on Apple, yes you have some great equipment and OS, BUT, others are further ahead in many aspects! As an Apple equipment owner,(Phone,iPad Pro,iMac) and a company stock holder I say get on the stick and now!!! Some of the rumors for the fall release of the new 'aniversary' iPhone is old news stuff,, wireless charging, no bezel,,, others have had this for at least two years now!!!!
    All fucking gimmicks are what you want in the next iPhone? Bezel free is cosmetic while contact charging is quite a gimmick. Tell me what you asked that Siri didn't know while Google Now did, something actually ueseful, not "how the whale sounds" thing!
    Apple makes things with functions that benefit users, not gimmicks. Smartphones reached their maturity. Beside some cosmetic changes and internal upgrades, nothing will be an evolution in hardware. It's like laptops in the last 15 years!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    When you heard the hype about Pixel phone and when you saw it, you know Google can't really design anything that looks good! My god, Pixels look worse than iphone 5 years ago!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 43

"-- posing yet another challenge to Apple's iPhone"

The only challenge that Apple has is deciding how much of this phone's lunch do they eat.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 43

"-- posing yet another challenge to Apple's iPhone"

The only challenge that Apple has is deciding how much of this phone's lunch do they eat.

If Rubin has a significantly improved AI component for this new phone, it could be a significant challenge to Apple and Google. We really know nothing about it, so the proof is in the product.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    fallenjt said:
    waltg said:
    More competition Apple! While I like my Apple products, and own stock I see them falling behind, I call Siri a dump b**** all the time, fire up google, ask it, get the answer pow! Same thing with the maps! Come on Apple, yes you have some great equipment and OS, BUT, others are further ahead in many aspects! As an Apple equipment owner,(Phone,iPad Pro,iMac) and a company stock holder I say get on the stick and now!!! Some of the rumors for the fall release of the new 'aniversary' iPhone is old news stuff,, wireless charging, no bezel,,, others have had this for at least two years now!!!!
    All fucking gimmicks are what you want in the next iPhone? Bezel free is cosmetic while contact charging is quite a gimmick. Tell me what you asked that Siri didn't know while Google Now did, something actually ueseful, not "how the whale sounds" thing!
    Apple makes things with functions that benefit users, not gimmicks. Smartphones reached their maturity. Beside some cosmetic changes and internal upgrades, nothing will be an evolution in hardware. It's like laptops in the last 15 years!
    I don't know if there's anything useful in this list that Siri doesn't currently do. There may not be. Answering in context might be a difference but again not sure. What does Siri give you if you specifically ask "How long will it take me to get to Atlanta from here?"
    Sincere question.
    https://www.androidpit.com/google-now-commands-how-many-do-you-know
    edited January 2017