Jimmy Iovine says Apple Music creating 'pop cultural' experience with new TV content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Responding to reports that Apple Music content will expand further into full-length movies and TV shows, a key executive with the service -- Jimmy Iovine -- said over the weekend that Apple is willing to do "whatever hits popular culture smack on the nose" in order to differentiate itself.

"At Apple Music, what we're trying to create is an entire cultural, pop cultural experience, and that happens to include audio and video," Iovine told the press during the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, attended by The Hollywood Reporter.

"If 'South Park' walks into my office," he continued, "I am not going to say you're not musicians, you know? We're going to do whatever hits popular culture smack on the nose. We're going to try."

Iovine remarked that Apple Music is "fighting 'free,'" referring specifically to Spotify and Pandora, both of which have paid subscriptions like Apple but also ad-based free tiers with large listenerships.

"So a simple utility where, 'here's all the songs, here's all the music, give me $10 and we're cool,' is not going to scale," Iovine said. Spotify does have some video content, but not on the scale Apple is targeting.

The company has been dabbling in full-length video for some time, with features like a Taylor Swift concert film, and the documentary "808: The Movie." The service will soon host things like a "Carpool Karaoke" spinoff, and possibly the "Planet of the Apps" reality TV series, focusing on the development process and dealmaking.

Due at some point is "Vital Signs," a six-episode series starring rapper, producer, and Apple Music executive Dr. Dre. The show has been described as well outside Apple's normally sanitized image, with plenty of sex and violence.

The Wall Street Journal recently said that Apple is planning a "significant new business" in original video content, including negotiating the rights to buy scripted TV shows. The new shows and movies could arrive by the end of 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Bull. We want a real Netflix competitor—which now seems improbable—or just buy Netflix. Keep music as music.

Buy Netflix, providing they can keep most content deals, but let's face it you're buying them really for their original content and unstoppable gift for producing new TV. Buy them and after a time rename it Apple TV (the service) and offer two separate subs for AM and ATV or a combined service discount if you subscribe to both. Own streaming. Apple can afford it. They can own streaming in the morning. Come up with a transition plan and put ATV (the puck) on the map. Even an investment of $75B would be sensible IMO. They could set aside $25B for buying new content and grab Netflix for around $75B. That's $100B, but it'd be a serious chance to own streaming of music, TV and even all-round living room gaming and entertainment. Everyone and their uncle would want an Apple TV. Invest in the platform—build the platform.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 2 of 25
    I've rarely heard a senior executive at Apple -- no, make that a Fortune 50 company -- make less sense. There is not one coherent sentence there. 

Apple, please stop putting this guy in front of the media. 
    MetriacanthosaurusSpamSandwichmobirdksec
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I've rarely heard a senior executive at Apple -- no, make that a Fortune 50 company -- make less sense. There is not one coherent sentence there. 

I don't understand why this guy is allowed to speak for Apple, in front of actual people. Does Apple think this is some kind of alluring diversity? To put illiterate people in executive positions and pretend like they actually run things?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 25

ireland said:
    Bull. We want a real Netflix competitor—which now seems improbable—or just buy Netflix. Keep music as music.

Buy Netflix, providing they can keep most content deals, but let's face it you're buying them really for their original content and unstoppable gift for producing new TV. Buy them and after a time rename it Apple TV (the service) and offer two separate subs for AM and ATV or a combined service discount if you subscribe to both. Own streaming. Apple can afford it. They can own streaming in the morning. Come up with a transition plan and put ATV (the puck) on the map. Even an investment of $75B would be sensible IMO. They could set aside $25B for buying new content and grab Netflix for around $75B. That's $100B, but it'd be a serious chance to own streaming of music, TV and even all-round living room gaming and entertainment. Everyone and their uncle would want an Apple TV. Invest in the platform—build the platform.
    No one wants this from Apple.

Apple builds the platform. One that Netflix and the thousand other Netflix's out there get to compete on evenly.
  • Reply 5 of 25

Totally agree. Though I think Neil Cybart at aboveavalon.com might be on to something. Create a subsidiary called Apple Studios. It would house all of Apple's current and future content business. It would be owned by Apple but mostly autonomous. And I would add to that, have it be based out of LA, let Eddy Cue run it and turn over all of the cloud, AI, Siri, Maps stuff he has to someone else, preferably a new SVP of cloud services. Wall Street would love it because they want Apple to beef up subscription services AND improve cloud services. And it would be a win for consumers because Eddy Cue would no longer oversee Apple's cloud services. I could go for that.

• Reply 6 of 25
    sog35 said:

Totally agree. Though I think Neil Cybart at aboveavalon.com might be on to something. Create a subsidiary called Apple Studios. It would house all of Apple's current and future content business. It would be owned by Apple but mostly autonomous. And I would add to that, have it be based out of LA, let Eddy Cue run it and turn over all of the cloud, AI, Siri, Maps stuff he has to someone else, preferably a new SVP of cloud services. Wall Street would love it because they want Apple to beef up subscription services AND improve cloud services. And it would be a win for consumers because Eddy Cue would no longer oversee Apple's cloud services. I could go for that.

Nice plan.

I'd rather Apple create their own studio then waste $100 billion buying Netflix.  
    With $100 billion you can create and license a ton of content. Buying Netflix is beyond dumb
    Well if they bought Netflix and gave Eddy Cue and Jimmy Iovine some nice retirement packages I wouldn't mind. If Apple is serious about this though it needs to be siphoned off from the rest of the company. If it's just some half assed thing that gets buried inside of Apple Music than don't even bother.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Buy Live Nation (LYV), which current market cap is 5.7 Billion. They pretty much produce most concerts globally and own Ticketmaster.
    Imagine a concert going on in Italy that you want to see live....You go on apple music or itunes, pay a small amount, which gives you access to the live concert in 360 degrees. Then you can license the content out or keep it exclusive. 
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 25
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

"So a simple utility where, 'here's all the songs, here's all the music, give me $10 and we're cool,' is not going to scale," Iovine said. Spotify does have some video content, but not on the scale Apple is targeting.

The Wall Street Journal recently said that Apple is planning a "significant new business" in original video content, including negotiating the rights to buy scripted TV shows. The new shows and movies could arrive by the end of 2017.

I cannot believe he said the above. It is time to abandon the *all in one place* concept, instead of adding more stuff - like video content - to it.

This man needs focus. A retreat in Jony Ive's white room is highly recommended.

>:x
  • Reply 9 of 25
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Leave the content to the content creators.

We need  Life instead. Something that bundles all the scattered Apple services together.

anantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 25
    NY1822 said:
    Buy Live Nation (LYV), which current market cap is 5.7 Billion. They pretty much produce most concerts globally and own Ticketmaster.
    Imagine a concert going on in Italy that you want to see live....You go on apple music or itunes, pay a small amount, which gives you access to the live concert in 360 degrees. Then you can license the content out or keep it exclusive. 
    Could be a bad time to get into that business, versus simply continuing to partner with the top ticket selling companies. Why? Because Amazon will in short order be rolling out their own concert and events ticketing platform AND WE ALREADY KNOW what happens when Amazon commits to a service. They may very well crush Live Nation.

EDIT:  Looks like they're already selling tickets in the U.K.

https://tickets.amazon.co.uk/
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    love the Apple Life idea mentioned by Mr O above....many different options to choose from.
    Make it a-la-carte
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Liking 'Apple Life' as a name though.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Its about margins,  Netflix margins 2%.  Cost of content expensive. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Buying Netflix for $100 billion is beyond dumb.

Buying content isn't that hard. Hell Starwars franchise was sold for only $4 billion. You really think Netflix is worth 25x more  than Starwars?
    he said $75 billion. I thought Netflix was worth around $30 billion?

it would be a great idea if it wasn't so damn expensive. I bet Apple could make them profitable.

mr o said:

We need  Life instead. Something that bundles all the scattered Apple services together.

Apple needs to create its own content. If I'm the future streaming begins to make a profit they will be prepared.

mr o said:

I cannot believe he said the above. It is time to abandon the *all in one place* concept, instead of adding more stuff - like video content - to it.

Some people suggest firing him but you guys don't realize he's the biggest player in the music industry.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    cali said:

Some people suggest firing him but you guys don't realize he's the biggest player in the music industry.
    Who cares. The entire music business generates about $15B in revenues in the US (the country where this guy has any clout, if at all). About a third to a half of that is the concert business. So, if we're generous, that's a $10B in non-concert revenue in the US. In other words, less than 5% Apple's revenue base for the whole industry.

While music is important as content for the hardware (and the software) that Apple sells, given the company's size and scope, it's a trivial business for Apple to want to bother with. 
  • Reply 16 of 25
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Buying content isn't that hard. Hell Starwars franchise was sold for only $4 billion. You really think Netflix is worth 25x more  than Starwars?
    he said $75 billion. I thought Netflix was worth around $30 billion?

it would be a great idea if it wasn't so damn expensive. I bet Apple could make them profitable.

mr o said:

Apple needs to create its own content. If I'm the future streaming begins to make a profit they will be prepared.

mr o said:

Netflix is worth about $60 billion.  So Apple would need to pay at least $80-$100 billion to buy all the shares. 
    Slight correction:  They're worth what another company is willing to pay for them.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    sog35 said:
    cali said:

Who cares. The entire music business generates about $15B in revenues in the US (the country where this guy has any clout, if at all). About a third to a half of that is the concert business. So, if we're generous, that's a $10B in non-concert revenue in the US. In other words, less than 5% Apple's revenue base for the whole industry.

While music is important as content for the hardware (and the software) that Apple sells, given the company's size and scope, it's a trivial business for Apple to want to bother with. 
    So you want Apple to just throw away a multi billion dollar revenue stream?

And Apple Music is more about building a sticky ecosystem for the iPhone than just gross profit from the service.
    Building an ecosystem does not require yo to own your own content.

Apple is Exhibit 1 in this regard.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:

We heard your opinion on this the 7th time.
    crowley
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Lovine is a liability. He brings jive talk and pushy tactics. It's what's gotten him where he was and where he is. Apple was fine without him. Possibly better off. ITunes with a subscription option would have been great. It would certainly have worked better than what lovine did to it. 

Now one he wants to muddle music with motion pictures. 

Come on. He's not Hollywood. And the whole idea of Apple GENERATING questionable content is creepy as can be. 

All lovine does does is bring some question marks and asterisks to apples high standards. 

If he is more valuable than what I can see on the sidelines, great. But reign him in and give him a sandbox to play in. But he shouldn't ever be talking to media, representing Apple, or cyaljing his way past a clearly defined role in helping to secure music contracts. 

anantksundaram
  • Reply 20 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Not sure when Neil at AboveAvalon first detailed his notions, but back when Apple first bought Beats, amidst all the naysayng, I put forth in the comments here that Apple could create its own studios around the country as a means to bootstrap upcoming talent.  Apple could provide access to the studios, backing musicians, instruments, post-production, and then feature the result exclusively on an Apple steaming service, which we all knew was coming but hadn't yet been given the name Apple Music.  The arrangement might be a deal with each new artist to gain some period f exclusivity for Apple to the artist's content.  In this manner Apple could use its music streaming service and internal music talent and market size to launch new independent artists, undermining the existing record labels.  
    edited January 2017 cali