Apple denies imminent iPhone 6 battery exchange program in the works

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44

fmalloy said:
    cfc said:
    There are definitely battery-related problems with the iPhone 6, particularly regarding the estimated percentage.  My other half’s phone seems to randomly jump around, losing massive amounts in a small period of time, but when you restart it then the percentage goes back to what it was.

It seems more like a software issue than a hardware one, and it has only happened since I upgraded her phone to iOS10, which seems to back that up.  I doubt a new battery would help, but maybe it is a combination of a failing battery and over-sensitive software in iOS10?

There are lots of complaints on Apple’s forums about it but no response from Apple.
    Yep. Same thing happening to my 6.

Don't tell me there's no issue with my phone. They broke something in iOS 10.1 and they are having trouble finding the bug and fixing it. 

What'll happen is there will be an iOS update with some stupid one line mention of "bug fix" in the release notes. Typical Apple arrogance.
    Exactly. Everything started with 10.1 (6s plus). Solved with last beta.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 22 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    mr.scott said:
    Dropped $85 bucks to replace a battery even though the tech said "It showed a short amount of charging cycles" and what he noted should be right as I don't charge it each hour and "The battery should not be showing short battery life this soon". Ask them to do a firmware update before replacing and same issue. Battery would drain 10% to 15% while in the store while he was reviewing the issue. I think there is more to it than Apple is willing to admit. I understand there are a million more of these devices on the planet than in the past and issues on a few will be found, but when there are a group of folks that are chatting about such an issue repeatedly, perhaps there is an issue. Not sure QA can be managed like it was 10 or 15 years ago as again more products are on the streets but still you make more devices, you'd best have more QA folks looking into the issue. Lot of money paid for ones iPhone to have a battery crap out so soon. Frustrated nonetheless... 

More testers will not find the issue faster, these is one thing you can not do when it comes to testing compress time, and these battery issue take time to show up. The problem occurs over time as the battery ages and cycles. You can try speeding up the charge and discharge cycles, but a failure may be more about how fast it was discharged and charged and under normal condition would have never happen. If the average uses charges and discharges one or two times as days it may take a year to so to see a issue which shows up after 600 cycles, yeah you could try and charge and discharge 6 times a day and see it in 100 days but does that say it would be the same issue.

QA people are only good at finding problems which exist day one, meaning the failure is already there and they just need to trip over it or devise a test to find the sequence to make it happen.

mr.scott
  • Reply 23 of 44
    cfccfc Posts: 13member
    lkrupp said:
    cfc said:
    Just stifle it. There is NO widespread battery problem with the iPhone 6. Views and comments on forums don’t count. Google “hits” don’t count. As with anything there could be hundreds or even thousands of individual users with various battery issues but that doesn’t mean it’s widespread or even a real issue. The law of averages dictates a few percent of users will always have something to complain about. The Internet always amplifies the negative. Your own problem is irrelevant in the big picture.

Apple says there is no widespread issue to warrant a replacement program. If you’re not happy about it then hire a lawyer and see how far you get. Or switch platforms if you think Apple is evil and corrupt.

Meanwhile there were seven iPhone 6’s in my immediate family (three now have iPhone 7’s) and NONE of them had battery problems. Therefore my anecdotal experience cancels out your anecdotal experience. Deal with it.
    Did you actually read my post or just assume that I was after a new battery?  I said that I didn't think it was the battery and that it was probably software, so I was not expecting a replacement.

I am not complaining about poor battery life but about the completely random nature of the displayed percentage.  It seems to drop massively (sometimes resulting in shutdowns), but then shows plenty of power again when you restart it.  This isn't a failing battery, but a battery reporting issue with the iPhone 6 and iOS10, as others on this thread have also experienced.  

It is interesting to hear that it was fixed for Maestro64 by a installing new battery, so I may try that.  However I wouldn't expect Apple to provide it for free because the phone is well over 2 years old.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I will be going to have my daughters 6's (not 6s). They both shut down randomly at anywhere between 40 and 20%. and when plugged in they have usually only dropped a few percent. Hardware or software? It doesn't really matter as long as the indicator works. It should show 100% when the phone is fully charged and 5% when it is about to shut down, no matter how many percent is left of the battery when an hd check is made. My daughters phones are just over a year old, both under Apple Care. 
  • Reply 25 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cfc said:
    lkrupp said:
    cfc said:
    Just stifle it. There is NO widespread battery problem with the iPhone 6. Views and comments on forums don’t count. Google “hits” don’t count. As with anything there could be hundreds or even thousands of individual users with various battery issues but that doesn’t mean it’s widespread or even a real issue. The law of averages dictates a few percent of users will always have something to complain about. The Internet always amplifies the negative. Your own problem is irrelevant in the big picture.

Apple says there is no widespread issue to warrant a replacement program. If you’re not happy about it then hire a lawyer and see how far you get. Or switch platforms if you think Apple is evil and corrupt.

Meanwhile there were seven iPhone 6’s in my immediate family (three now have iPhone 7’s) and NONE of them had battery problems. Therefore my anecdotal experience cancels out your anecdotal experience. Deal with it.
    Did you actually read my post or just assume that I was after a new battery?  I said that I didn't think it was the battery and that it was probably software, so I was not expecting a replacement.

I am not complaining about poor battery life but about the completely random nature of the displayed percentage.  It seems to drop massively (sometimes resulting in shutdowns), but then shows plenty of power again when you restart it.  This isn't a failing battery, but a battery reporting issue with the iPhone 6 and iOS10, as others on this thread have also experienced.  

It is interesting to hear that it was fixed for Maestro64 by a installing new battery, so I may try that.  However I wouldn't expect Apple to provide it for free because the phone is well over 2 years old.
    Exactly. When i inquired I was told that before I brought my daughter's phones in I should do a complete re-install of everything, and run the battery out fully and then wait at least one hour before plugging them back in. Apparently that resets something or other and fixes bad reporting. Not holding my breath but I'll do it to make sure.
    cfc
  • Reply 26 of 44
    The 6 model definitely has battery issues. My 6 was purchased in Feb of 15 and started having the same described battery issues starting in summer of 16. I even bought the Apple battery case to help compensate for the issue. Even with the case on I would burn through a full charge if a few hours of playing games or music.

It could have 40% charge on the phone it's self and shut down completely. Would not restart until I plugged it in to charge for 20 minutes or so and then finally reboot and show that it had a 40% percent charge.

The last straw was last month when I had it charging over night like normal. Unplugged it at it showed a complete dead battery indicator. Tried in vain to get some thing going but to no avail. I had important calls to make that morning so I booked it to the Apple store to get help. I waited about 30 minutes to talk to a tech, during that 30 minutes I get a buzz in my chest pocket and my apple watch is telling me I have missed texts. Pulled the phone out and all of a sudden the damn thing is showing me a 75% charge! Colder temps seem to mess with the phone also.

The tech ran his diagnostic app and showed me the battery was at about 50 of it's life cycle( still in the green area but straddling the line between the orange and red zone)  so a replacement battery would run me 50 bucks. I was fed up with the 6 that I just outright bought a 7Plus.

This is the first time I've had a issue with an iPhone and I have then since the beginning. If there is an issue just fix it. Don't dance around the issue just own up and fix it.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    paxman said:
    cfc said:
    lkrupp said:
    cfc said:

Exactly. When i inquired I was told that before I brought my daughter's phones in I should do a complete re-install of everything, and run the battery out fully and then wait at least one hour before plugging them back in. Apparently that resets something or other and fixes bad reporting. Not holding my breath but I'll do it to make sure.
    That is interesting.  I'll give that a go with my other half's phone (if she can survive without it for an hour...)
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Many believe it's not a battery problem but moreover an iOS 10.2 problem. Thousands have descended on the Apple Stores with the same issue regardless of iPhone model. Forbes and others have written articles about it as well. Apple needs to fix iOS. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/12/21/apple-ios-10-2-iphone-battery-problems/#668af7e44f2c
    alexmac
  • Reply 29 of 44
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Mine had these same problems with the rapid draining and shutdowns. Replaced it with an $8 3rd party battery on Amazon, and it works great again. Takes about 15 mins. Did the same with my 5 back in the day and when they finally did implement a program, they reimbursed me the nine bucks I had spent on a replacement from Amazon. 

Just be sure to follow the instructions on iFixit. The adhesive step was a bit more difficult than I anticipated. 
  • Reply 30 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    fmalloy said:
    mkrewson said:
    I was an Apple technician until recently, and I can tell you that the 6S definitely had a battery issue. However, the 6's did not. I rarely ever saw any battery related issues with the 6 or 6 Plus. 
    That's because it's a battery reporting bug introduced in iOS10.0 or 10.1. Apple broke something and won't own up to it. I'm quite sure they're trying to figure it out and fix it in a software update, They won't admit a problem or apologize. 

Apple hubris.
    Yeah except for the fact that nothing you've said is based on fact, and is instead your own crankpot theory. 

Not hubris. 
  • Reply 31 of 44
    macxpress said:
    They need a better program for the 6S...the current program is a complete cluster fu$*! Nobody knows what to do, even if you call the Apple Store they really don't know how to handle it. The batteries are never available and apparently Apple assumes everyone lives next or near to an Apple Retail Store. The entire process is horrible. 
    I gave up wasting my time with Apple Support, turned in my daughter's problematic 6S back to Apple (got $265 in Apple Store credit for it, plus the $$ and hassles of a battery change saved), and just bought her a new 7.

Lousy/confusing/confused customer service from Apple on this one!
    macxpress
  • Reply 32 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:
    They need a better program for the 6S...the current program is a complete cluster fu$*! Nobody knows what to do, even if you call the Apple Store they really don't know how to handle it. The batteries are never available and apparently Apple assumes everyone lives next or near to an Apple Retail Store. The entire process is horrible. 
    I gave up wasting my time with Apple Support, turned in my daughter's problematic 6S back to Apple (got $265 in Apple Store credit for it, plus the $$ and hassles of a battery change saved), and just bought her a new 7.

Lousy/confusing/confused customer service from Apple on this one!
    If only I had that option...I'm not due for an upgrade and cannot afford to shell out the full price of a new iPhone. I'd also rather have what Apple is coming out with next vs something that came out a few months ago. 

But I agree this 6S battery replacement program totally sucks. Apple is not prepared for this replacement at all and hasn't properly trained its employees on the procedures for this repair program. When you call the closest Apple Store and the person who takes the call has no clue as to what you're talking about thats a problem. I had to call AppleCare who called the same store themselves to get the actual details of what to do from someone else. And then they couldn't tell me when batteries would be in and basically that I had to schedule an appointment and hope batteries were in stock. I live 2hrs away (1 way) from the closest Apple Retail Store. I'm not gonna play games and hope it works out for me. I kinda just wish I could send my phone into them and they send me back a replacement. Quick and easy...done! 
    anantksundaramGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 44
    jonas101jonas101 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I had this problem with an iphone 6 for over a year now. It was so bad I had to carry around a battery pack. All tested suggested the battery was OK.

It has been fixed in the recent ios10 beta (I even got a note from apple confirming the fix in the beta program). Since then no problems and the phone runs late into the evening without the need for a recharge. it's like a new phone.

So 10.2.1 should fix the problem for most people.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 44
    For what it is worth, I have huge issues with the battery on my iPhone 6. I carry around two Anker batteries due to the impredictability of the device, which has lost me serious money twice already, dropping off at critical moments during calls. Yes, I should have been prepared for it anyway. Now I am. I do believe that there is an issue with the 6. I find it frightening that Apple seem to deny the issue, when they used to acknowledge them (well, maybe not the "hold it properly iPhone 4", but definitely the old MacBookPro with Nvidia card which had issues, the iMac with screen bleed, and all other sorts of problems they fixed fast and well). Unrelated note: the new 15i MBP with touch bar feels incredibly fast. I love it.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    occam11 said:
    This issue isn't going away. My family's 3 iPhone 6's are about 15 months old, in their second Minnesota winter. Go outside for fifteen minutes with one in your pocket when it is cold and it goes dead, even if it has an 80% charge. You have to warm it up and reboot. And I am not talking below-zero-fahrenheit cold, I'm talking below 40 fahrenheit. I've had three previous iPhones, never had this problem.
    Hmm, that's interesting. My issues with the iPhone 6 started when the temperature dropped below 5-10°C, and I did not make the connection, but indeed most issues I had were while outside (on the go). I wonder if you might have pointed out a very important detail here. Would not fix the problem, but at least helps getting a precise scenario.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cfc said:
    There are definitely battery-related problems with the iPhone 6, particularly regarding the estimated percentage.  My other half’s phone seems to randomly jump around, losing massive amounts in a small period of time, but when you restart it then the percentage goes back to what it was.

It seems more like a software issue than a hardware one, and it has only happened since I upgraded her phone to iOS10, which seems to back that up.  I doubt a new battery would help, but maybe it is a combination of a failing battery and over-sensitive software in iOS10?

There are lots of complaints on Apple’s forums about it but no response from Apple.
    Mine too!
    When I took it to the Apple store the battery tested OK.  When I pressed her, the tech told me to buy a new battery -- because a weaker battery did not show the correct amount of charge because the algorithm only worked for new batteries.  In addition, she was kind of rude about it.   When I left a poor review, I got a call from them -- where the guy suggested I buy a new phone!   Geez!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    mtbnut said:
    I think a lot of users misconstrue minor issues as major ones, then cry loud enough on social media to make the trivial seem catastrophic. I think this says more about us as Americans, in which we like to blame everything on anything other than ourselves. 

On the other hand, I am waiting for Apple to announce the "When I Am Over 500 Feet Away From The iPhone, The Bluetooth Headset Starts Cutting Out Bluetooth Antenna Replacement Program." 

When you rely on your phone -- but never know if it will work or not, that is not a minor issue.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    lkrupp said:
    cfc said:

Was that MEANT to be a joke?
    cfc
  • Reply 39 of 44
    maestro64 said:

Well I wish the rumor was true, but I just replaced my daughter battery in her Iphone 6.

It was exhibiting the same issue as being reported on the 6S of randomly powering off especially when it is cool out. The issue and probably the reason Apple said they are not extending the program to the 6 is the fact the issue is showing up at the end of being 2 yrs old verse people who ran into the problem within the first year on the 6S. I heard of others with the 6 having the battery issue and most all of them were older phones.

There is something going on with these batteries, the sudden power off and then restarting the phone finding it still has 30% to 80% of power then rapidly discharging at random times is not normal behavior. I personally was thinking it had to be a issue in software or hardware since batteries do not behave this way. When my daughter first started seeing the problem is was random and did not happen all the time. As of last week it was happening every day so it went from randomly happening to and an everyday thing in 6 months. She had to put the phone in power saving mode, otherwise, it was dying in less than an hour. It seem to be consistent when the phone was doing lots of background tasks and you were playing on the phone. Try off the background task and the phone behaved more predictably.

I put in a replacement battery, it was not that hard to do other than to release the tape the use to hold the battery in place. With the new batter the phone holds a charge and does not randomly shut down when it still have charged in the battery. I guess these Lithium Polymer batteries exhibit a very different failure modes than other battery technologies. I never seen a battery behavior like this when they are beginning to die.   

Thanks!   That's good to know.   I was considering getting a new battery even though mine tested OK (barely).  But, I have been hesitating because simply throwing fixes at a problem when you don't understand the underlying problem seldom produces a good outcome.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    lkrupp said:
    cfc said:

Was that MEANT to be a joke?
    I assumed that he was just a troll with an attitude like that, but maybe it was actually meant as a joke and I missed it.