Apple TV, iPhone, iPad gain ability to play Netflix movies directly in TV app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is slowly rolling out the ability to stream a movie from Netflix directly from its TV app on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, but some limitations exist.

While a Siri search for content would previously bring up a Netflix movie, commanding a device to play the title would redirect users to the Netflix app and require the users to select the title. Now, following a search, the movie streams automatically from Netflix, the same as it does from other subscription services like HBO Go.

However, Netflix movies will still not appear in recommended titles for users in the TV app, nor will it allow queueing of Netflix-exclusive programming. Additionally, title art in the "up next" queue is sporadic, with no apparent pattern to what will load and what will not.

The software hooks for the feature may have arrived alongside the Jan. 17th update to the Netflix app, with the functionality slowly rolling out to users of the service.

The TV app was previewed during the "Hello Again" MacBook Pro rollout event, and was released alongside Apple's iOS 10.2 update. The TV app is intended to make discovery easier across multiple sources of video, and has the ability to jump into live video streams as long as the necessary apps are installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is awesome, confirms that Netflix WILL be fully supported in the TV app soon despite predictions to the contrary.
    dementuschikanjbdragonDeelroncali
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Sounds good to me. I would like to see them change the up next functionality...if I have a partially watched movie in this section, when I click it it should take me right to where I left off. But instead it then asks if I want to resume or start from the beginning...
  • Reply 3 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    What I'd like to see from ATV is the ability to make video & TV playlists via iCloud.
    And, that rented vids could all be watched from either ATV or my computer, regardless of which 'device' I'd rented them on...
  • Reply 4 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Sounds good to me. I would like to see them change the up next functionality...if I have a partially watched movie in this section, when I click it it should take me right to where I left off. But instead it then asks if I want to resume or start from the beginning...
    Do you live alone?  Then this might make sense as a default.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Personally, I prefer the choice for two reasons. Maybe multiple family members are watching the same show, but at different times. Second, sometimes I just prefer to start the show over to refresh my memory. I can fast forward if necessary.
    StrangeDaysDeelronestolinski
  • Reply 6 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    slurpy said:
    This is awesome, confirms that Netflix WILL be fully supported in the TV app soon despite predictions to the contrary.
    I'd like to believe that, but doesn't the fact that Netflix exclusive content won't queue in the TV app indicate that Netflix is holding this back? If I can't queue Netflix original shows in the TV app (I assume by this they mean have it auto-line-up the next episode as it does for Showtime content, etc), then what's the point?

But perhaps the content provider has to do some legwork on the backend and it's being rolled out in stages. Hope so!
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 7 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I must be missing something.  Netflix already plays on my Apple Tv and allows multiple users all to start where they left off...  what's different using it in the TV app?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    MacPro said:
    I must be missing something.  Netflix already plays on my Apple Tv and allows multiple users all to start where they left off...  what's different using it in the TV app?
    It's not about resuming, it's about showing up in the new TV app on the Apple TV (and iphone and ipad). this TV app manages the state for your progress in content regardless of source provider, by suggesting the next episode, new episodes that are now available, etc. It's like a homescreen for what you're watching across all the apps, without having to navigate to the various provider apps. 

It's pretty slick, but not all the providers support it yet. For this reason I've disabled it as the home-button landing screen and reverted the button to the normal homescreen behavior.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 9 of 33
    According to a tweet from Matthew Panzarino all this stuff has been in the TV app from when it was launched. No new integrations.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Hmm, was just playing with it and "Documentary Now" was available to add, and that is Netflix original programming.  Lots of other original stuff not there but this was . . . .
  • Reply 11 of 33
    What?

Does Netflix support the TV App now, or not?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    How does the TV App handle Apps with multiple profiles? I guess we'll find out. Hulu is just starting to roll out profile support. And Netflix is just starting to roll out TV App support.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Netflix is still dragging their feet. They think they're big enough that they can get people to come to their app as a destination. Which honestly is true, just ends up sucking for users who could have a single, packaged, browsing experience. 
  • Reply 14 of 33
    It seems like a lot of drip, drip, drip... additions to functionality. I can see that it matters somewhat for cord cutters, but for the vast majority (who are not), it's not all that huge. Given that I can access Netflix with a voice command on my Comcast remote (and one click on TVs around the house) it's frankly not that big a deal. 

The simple fact is, Apple is falling behind on its video/TV content partnerships. Moreover, the interface hasn't evolved all that much since the original. It's only saving grace is AirPlay and iCloud music. Even that will likely be competed away soon.  

I am sure some here fulminate and disagree. If you disagree, tell me why you think I am wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sog35 said:
    Now add Playstation Vue
    That's on SONY to create a App and get it into the App store!!! Just like it is with Amazon which I care more about.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    It seems like a lot of drip, drip, drip... additions to functionality. I can see that it matters somewhat for cord cutters, but for the vast majority (who are not), it's not all that huge. Given that I can access Netflix with a voice command on my Comcast remote (and one click on TVs around the house) it's frankly not that big a deal. 

The simple fact is, Apple is falling behind on its video/TV content partnerships. Moreover, the interface hasn't evolved all that much since the original. It's only saving grace is AirPlay and iCloud music. Even that will likely be competed away soon.  

I am sure some here fulminate and disagree. If you disagree, tell me why you think I am wrong.
    Apple TV is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else available for the television. 
    StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 17 of 33

Apple TV is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else available for the television. 
    That has little to with what I said.

Moreover, your response just validated the concern I expressed in the last sentence of my post. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jsmythe00 said:
    All this tip toeing around, content owners/creators  and distributors need to get it together.  I've got two words that's eating their lunch. Kodi. Exodus. 

Theyre dragging their feet like the music industry and are about to get their a$$es handed to them by wide spread pirating. 

Give us us what we want how we want it and we'll pay to play
    That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. "Give us what we want and how we want it"? Really? Would you apply that principle to everything in people's lives, including the product or service that you sell for a living? Or, say, to Apple?
  • Reply 19 of 33

How so?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 20 of 33

jsmythe00 said:
    Give us us what we want how we want it and we'll pay to play
    Everyone says that until they find out the price. Then they balk. Someone on MacRumors said Apple should make everything on the iTunes store available for $10/mo. People are living in fantasy land. IF Apple was ever able to offer a subscription service for everything available on iTunes (and that will never happen) it would be more like $100/mo not $10.
    cali