Minolta or Canon?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone, I'm getting my tax return check soon so I'm probably going to get a digital camera. I went to the Apple Store and I was looking at a Canon Digital Elph S230 and a Minolta DiMage X. The DiMage is 2.0 megapixels for $350 and the Canon is 3.2 megapixels $400. Any experience with either of these cameras? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>Hey everyone, I'm getting my tax return check soon so I'm probably going to get a digital camera. I went to the Apple Store and I was looking at a Canon Digital Elph S230 and a Minolta DiMage X. The DiMage is 2.0 megapixels for $350 and the Canon is 3.2 megapixels $400. Any experience with either of these cameras? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. </strong><hr></blockquote>

With digi cameras the more megapixels the better.

canon offers a far more superior quality lens then minolta and you won't have any regrets buuying a canon. though if you shop about you can pic up a kodak 4megapixel for around £300. I have the easy share DX4900 and is equivelent to a 135mm lens on slr's, bags of features and will run on standard AA batteries if needed.

if you want quality buy canon or nikon if you want features for the same price shop around and like most things it depends on the cash your willing to splash out.

Personally id stay away from minolta.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The Canon!

Great picture quality and top build quality.

The software included is OS X native and really cool (good panorama stitching app included).

• Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I second the Canon. Minolta's lens tech is not in the same league.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    One other thing...the Canon uses Compact Flash memory cards and the Minolta uses SD Memory Cards. 1) Aren't SD memory cards much faster and transfering data than CF? 2) Could I take the SD card out of the Minolta and put it into my Palm Pilot and then have instant pics?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Sure, you could, I suppose in theory, put the SD card into your SD enabled Palm. Then, you can view the 2048x2048 images on a nice 160x160 or 320x320 screen

I'd go with the Canon. In regards to consumer digital cameras, I absolutely love the Elph line. I do believe CF cards are a bit cheaper than SD as well. I have a CF adapter for my PowerBook so I can import photographs directly out of the camera and into my powerbook through the PCMCIA slot.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by MiMac:

<strong>The Canon!

Great picture quality and top build quality.

The software included is OS X native and really cool (good panorama stitching app included).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What Canon did you buy? There wasn't any OS X native software included when I bought my camera. I had to download the Canon ImageBrowser for X and the photo stitch software has to be purchased for 20 dollars. It's not included in any camera I know of.

Maybe they do things differently in Ireland.

Bastards.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>I second the Canon. Minolta's lens tech is not in the same league.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I think the tech behind the Dimage X and Xi is quite a bit more interesting than the Canon's, with the reflecting tricks it uses to orient most of the optics perpendicular to the face of the camera. But yeah, the finish and size matters more...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    A friend of mine has the Canon S230 and I really like the pictures that come out of his camera. I have a Canon G2, in auto mode both cameras take almost identical pictures. With the slight edge going to the G2.

You might want to check out <a href="http://www.dpreview.com"; target="_blank">dpreview</a>

they have reviews on many cameras. Although they don't have a review on the S230 yet, the forums have many hands on experiences with both cameras. You might also want to check out Nikon as they make some pretty good cameras as well. Also Pentax is coming out with a very interestingly small camera (fits inside a box of altoids) called the optio-S.

good luck
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Thank you for all your help! It looks like I'm probably going to go with the Canon. I'll post what I end up with and what I think about it later.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I got the dimageX... it's quite sweet, the optical zoom that works on the inside of the camera is great, if size is an issue.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Hm.. I would chose the S230, but also consider the Minolta Dimage F100. It is 4-megapixels and is fast. I got it for around $320. If you buy your camera though, it is probably cheaper if you buy it online.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Nikon, Nikon, Nikon!! Their Coolpix advanced models give you so much more control over the picture-taking process which you'll appreciate (unless you just really want to point and shoot away). I got a used Coolpix 950 last May and it has been a dream -- only 2.11 megapixels, but not many people besides professionals with 1GB microdrives shoot at hi-res all the time.

Just trust me, but Canon produces some good models -- heck, everybody does. But Nikon's stuff just feels better in the hand -- not like a cheap piece of plastic that's going to shrivel up.