Apple releases finished iOS 10.2.1 update bringing minor fixes

Posted:
in iPhone
Wrapping up weeks of beta testing, Apple on Monday released the completed version of iOS 10.2.1, a minor update for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

The code fixes various bugs and security vulnerabilities in iOS 10.2, according to Apple's release notes. It can be downloaded over-the-air via the Software Update function in the iOS Settings app -- located under the General menu -- or else by connecting a device to iTunes on a desktop or laptop.

Apple released four betas of iOS 10.2.1, seeding versions to developers and the public. In that time, no new features or major fixes were discovered.

Apple is rumored to be preparing its first beta of iOS 10.3 for release later this month. That may include an alleged "Theater" mode, making iPhones less obnoxious if a person has to bring one out during a movie or stage show. It could in theory mute sounds, lower screen brightness, and block incoming communications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ...That may include an alleged "Theater" mode...
    My phone has had that since the original iPhone (probably before even). I think they called it a power switch. Hold it down for a few seconds, swipe across the screen, and viola! theater mode. Makes my phone much less obnoxious should I bring it out during a move or stage show. All sounds are muted, the screen brightness is turned all the way down to black, and incoming communications are blocked. What more could you ask for? :wink:  :smile: 

jdgazjSnivelymelodyof1974Rayz2016AI_liasmike1lostkiwichiabaconstangbrian green
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    But that's too hard when I need constant snapchat/FB/Twitter/Instgram updates for two hours during a movie. My attention span cannot be bothered by such nonsense

/s
    baconstanggtr
  • Reply 3 of 22
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    ibrewster said:
    ...That may include an alleged "Theater" mode...
    My phone has had that since the original iPhone (probably before even). I think they called it a power switch. Hold it down for a few seconds, swipe across the screen, and viola! theater mode. Makes my phone much less obnoxious should I bring it out during a move or stage show.
    That would require the user to be without Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and the selfie camera for the entire length of a movie. This can result in symptoms of excessive perspiration, blood pressure, and respiration rate. Not acceptable in today's society.
    mike1
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Please please please let this fix the nonexistent 30% battery issue that Apple says millions of iPhone 5 and 6 users are not experiencing.
    anantksundaramlandcruiserMplsP
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I would be absolutely thrilled to see the random "No Service" issue fixed.  It appears on mine and my wife's, iPads (mini current gen and air2), sitting in the same room with full "bars" of service on the other devices in the house.  Totally random and totally annoying.  
    pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I would be absolutely thrilled to see the random "No Service" issue fixed.  It appears on mine and my wife's, iPads (mini current gen and air2), sitting in the same room with full "bars" of service on the other devices in the house.  Totally random and totally annoying.  
    Are all the devices the exact same model and are they all running on the same phone network?
    edited January 2017 mike1
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Rayz2016 said:
    Are all the devices the exact same model and are they all running on the same phone network?
    Same network,  ATT - but the "No Service" shows up when nearby each other, or miles apart and at different times of day (peak and off peak hours).  Both devices have experienced this.

They're not the same device, as noted in the original post and purchased months apart from one another.  Hers is backed up and updated to her Macbook, mine to my iMac.  Same issue on both.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    So, no word on what it actually fixes?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    AI_lias said:
    Apple never really spells out what fixes are in place for maintenance updates (dot releases are different from dot dot releases). This has been the case for a while. They do however spell out security fixes in case you were wondering about something like that. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207482
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed this finally fixes the Universal Clipboard for 7/7+.

As for the 30% issue, I've not seen or met anyone who has had it, and nearly every single person I know or work with has an iPhone of some vintage. My wife is on a 6+ that is just over two years old now, she's not had an issue with it. Repeatedly dropped it, never shattered the screen, and only has it in a white Apple silicone case.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    fmalloy said:
    Please please please let this fix the nonexistent 30% battery issue that Apple says millions of iPhone 5 and 6 users are not experiencing.
    I and millions of others are hoping for the same thing. I still don't understand why Forbes is one of the few media outlets to cover "Battery-gate".
    alexmac
  • Reply 12 of 22
    anybody get bricked yet?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    I'd like them to fix the new "TV app" so it is:
    1. Responsive on opening - it takes at least 30 seconds to load on my iPhone 6S and iPad mini
    2. Works offline - so I can actually watch the movies/shows downloaded/sync'd to the device
    3. Responsive when using - it can take up to a minute to load the movie / TV show page when tapping on the cover art
    I have tried clean restores with and without backup to resolve the above 3 issues, but to no avail, so I really hope they have at least made some improvements! The Video app was so much better by comparison - the TV app seems half baked.

• Reply 14 of 22
    Well crap. 
    This update didn't fix the AirPod Bluetooth disconnect issue during phone calls. 
    First call disconnected within 2 minutes. 
    SMH!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    fmalloy said:
    They're obviously not experiencing in the "millions" it otherwise it would be covered; Apple issues never get buried when they're that widespread.
    Doesn't mean there are not tens of thousand with the issue though, which would make it  a significant issue.

From my own experience on the 6s, doing full cycle 0-100-0-100 of the battery helps people that only have a software issue (seems the OS loses track of the battery level).

Those that have hardware problems obviously won't be helped.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Same network,  ATT - but the "No Service" shows up when nearby each other, or miles apart and at different times of day (peak and off peak hours).  Both devices have experienced this.

They're not the same device, as noted in the original post and purchased months apart from one another.  Hers is backed up and updated to her Macbook, mine to my iMac.  Same issue on both.
    Unfortunately I don't think you have enough here to state that the problem is software-based, or even a hardware problem. The fact that you're seeing glitches on different models at different times of the day when they're miles apart could also point to a problem on the network. What I would do is get a sim for another network and see if you get any improvements. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    macxpress said:
    AI_lias said:
    They do however spell out security fixes in case you were wondering about something like that.
    Yep. The only things important to Apple are security fixes and adding new emoji.
  • Reply 18 of 22

Here’s a comment I posted to Apple’s 19-page discussion.apple.com, on the battery issue:

Updated to iOS 10.2.1 yesterday. Still the same battery issues!  Nothing fixed!  While on separate wireline phone with Apple tech support, battery icon on iPhone 6 went from 100% to 4% in a matter of ten minutes. Then plugged the charging cable into the iPhone 6. Battery icon jumped back up to 91% within 30 seconds. Tech support ran diagnostics on my iPhone. Battery shows in the green (good condition).  Tech support could not fix issue.  Have to go into Apple store.  Apple, please fix the SOFTWARE!

Note this is on an iPhone 6, NOT 6s.

• Reply 19 of 22
    foggyhill said:
    "... people that only have a software issue (seems the OS loses track of the battery level)."
    Wouldn't be so bad if the level was wrong, and the phone keeps on working because the battery still has charge.  But this iOS shuts off the phone -- based on self-generated erroneous information!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Battery-gate. Same as others, battery (really iOS) issue still there after the update. Was just at 33% and it dropped to 4% then 1% in seconds. Plugged it in and it immediately jumped to 33%. Apple really needs to stop this "cover up" of this catastrophic iOS failure. It's really hard to believe Apple can't fix this issue. This is not just an iPhone 6 or 6s issue either. I has infected all iPhones.