FCC filing reveals Apple still working on Apple TV-shaped NFC, Bluetooth LE device

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new listing on the U.S. Federal Communications Commission's regulatory database reveals Apple is still working on an unannounced product equipped with near-field technology that first surfaced in September of 2016.

The latest update concerns a device with the model number A1846, with the documents released including a regulatory label in an FCC drawing. The filing is in general very similar to another database listing uncovered last year, and since the newer model number is incremented by two compared to last time, it strongly suggests this is an update of the same device.

The data on the regulatory label is almost identical, except the stock keeping unit (SKU) is JR2 instead of JR1, the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) has changed from 3133 to 3137, and the model number. The diagram is also very similar to last time, but rather than showing the security screws and the edge of the device's base, the image cuts the base edge off partway through the screw heads.

Just as with the previous version of the device, it has a power draw of 100mA and a peak of 700mA, between 5.5V and 13.2V. The documentation also mentions testing of Bluetooth LE and near-field communication, though like last time it doesn't include Wi-Fi, continuing the theory either Apple is reusing an existing device design or it lacks Wi-Fi completely.

Also as mentioned in the previous report, the diagram points to to a set-top box similar in appearance and dimensions to the fourth-generation Apple TV, but the power requirements suggest that it is something different, with radically different power demands.

AppleInsider's contacts within Apple corporate have refused to comment on the device.

Due to requests for confidentiality filed with the FCC, relatively few documents and little in the way of information about the unnamed device have been published.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Wireless charging here we come 
    doozydozenirelandmejsricMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 2 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    NY1822 said:
    Seems a fitting conclusion. I expect the kind of wireless where you can walk around your home with a popular CE product and simply have it charge is the best part of ten years away.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    UHD Apple TV
  • Reply 4 of 24
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    Seems a fitting conclusion. I expect the kind of wireless where you can walk around your home with a popular CE product and simply have it charge is the best part of ten years away.
    As you get cancer from a high amount of radiation. Wireless charging without a pad is a pipe dream.
    zoetmb
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kkerst said:
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    As you get cancer from a high amount of radiation. Wireless charging without a pad is a pipe dream.
    I know you mean well, but don't do this "cancer from a high amount of radiation" thing. Don't generalize. Don't feed the "wi-fi is bad" crowd.

Major, major differences in what's acceptable, what will kill you and what will have NSBE, depending on type, time of exposure, distance from the source, and energy level.
    mwhiteMetriacanthosauruschiadoozydozenfastasleepwatto_cobralongpathjSnively
  • Reply 6 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    An iBrush or Apple Brush charging station?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What about a wireless Apple TV?
    Would that be wild or what? Plug a small transmitter into the outlet and the Apple TV both receives and transmits electricity. And PLEASE wireless HDMI.

Apple should stop being wusses and release a fully loaded $300 Apple TV with a loaded Siri Remote.

ideas?

-M Chip in Remote for precise motion control.

-Put the Kinect team to work(I'm sure they are)

-A-Gaming chip with graphics that pass iPad capability

-Taptic Engine(Solid state Remote)

-3D Touch

-Open Lightning port to 3rd parties for peripherals etc
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 24
    cali said:
    Would that be wild or what? Plug a small transmitter into the outlet and the Apple TV both receives and transmits electricity. And PLEASE wireless HDMI.

Apple should stop being wusses and release a fully loaded $300 Apple TV with a loaded Siri Remote.

ideas?

-3D Touch

Meh.
    ireland
  • Reply 9 of 24
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    kkerst said:
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    I know you mean well, but don't do this "cancer from a high amount of radiation" thing. Don't generalize. Don't feed the "wi-fi is bad" crowd.

Major, major differences in what's acceptable, what will kill you and what will have NSBE, depending on type, time of exposure, distance from the source, and energy level.
    This all reminds me of a crystal radio that derived its power from the radio signal itself. Problem is, it was very limited to picking just about the strongest AM station in town. To make this work, it would take forever to charge a battery.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    cali said:

ideas?

-3D Touch

No thanks.
    ireland
  • Reply 11 of 24
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    Until it works that way, it isn't really "wireless", in the untethered sense.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    kkerst said:
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/04/energous-ceo-makes-tenuous-reference-to-future-iphone-as-leading-platform-for-wireless-charging/amp/?client=safari
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 24
    boredumb said:
    Except for this company, already linked to Apple. The a look at this:
    http://energous.com/technology/product-overview/
    doozydozencaliboredumb
  • Reply 14 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jcbigears said:
    boredumb said:
    Except for this company, already linked to Apple. The a look at this:
    http://energous.com/technology/product-overview/
    Just keep in mind "that company" has implied it's connected to Apple for several years. 
    doozydozenireland
  • Reply 15 of 24
    kkerst said:
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    It'll never fly, Orville!
    doozydozencali
  • Reply 16 of 24

kkerst said:
    kkerst said:
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:

This all reminds me of a crystal radio that derived its power from the radio signal itself. Problem is, it was very limited to picking just about the strongest AM station in town. To make this work, it would take forever to charge a battery.
    If only we were able to improve rudimentary things into sophisticated things over time...
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I think the key to understanding this filing is in the wiring guide.

First, it has an RS485 interface. Serial. Probably only kilobits at most.

Second, it takes a very wide range of voltages from 5 to 13 V. That means the power isn't coming from Apple. If they were building the power supply, they'd know it was 7.5V, or 9V, or 12V, or whatever.

Third, the power consumption is low, typically 1 Watt. So you know there's no GPU. And no top-end CPU. Think of the energy budget you have with a battery powered device, except we know that this uses wired power instead. And you'd probably want more like at least 5 Watts for wireless charging or it'd take forever.

So somebody else is building the power supply, it only needs 1W on average, and it has serial and radio connectivity.

A charger would have USB or maybe just DC power, so I think a charger is highly unlikely. And Mike's right, don't worry about radio. Passes right through you harmlessly or people who live near radio and TV station transmitter sites would all be mutants.

My money is on a contactless payment device. This would sit on the checkout counter next to a payment terminal that would provide the power and receive the payment information via the serial connection. Apple would want to interface with a variety of different payment terminal vendors with a wide range of power supplies, hence the wide voltage range. It doesn't take a GPU or high-power CPU to run the crypto and other payment approval work. And a puck shape is a perfect spot for an Apple Pay logo to be prominently displayed on the checkout counter.

It's been 4 years since I was in Japan, but back then, every newsstand there had these nice little "Passmo" pucks sitting the counter. You just picked up an item from the store, flashed the barcode, and tapped your Passmo contactless payment card and you were done.
    doozydozenpatchythepirateirelandelijahgfastasleepwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 18 of 24
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    NY1822 said:
    From a device with a peak of 700ma, not a chance. Distance wireless charging will take a lot of power due to the inefficiency.

I think it'll be Apple's response to Amazon's Echo.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cali said:

ideas?

-3D Touch

Meh.
    Because the current Apple TV is so much better.

smfh. 

Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kkerst said:
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    It'll never fly, Orville!
    Seriously. I don't understand why people are so closed-minded online.

Sometimes I like to imagine I time traveled to the 1980's and describe all the tech we have just to hear the disbelieve and excuses.

cali said:

ideas?

-3D Touch

No thanks.

Microsoft and Sony are eating Apple's lunch right now.

Whether you like it or not a more capable Apple TV is coming. Sorry.  :(