Ex-Apple director Lattner striving to make cars an 'appliance' at Tesla

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    flaneur said:
    ^^^ But trust me, it won't matter in the end. Apple is going to need a battery factory, an electric car company, and a space rocket company. 

Just as much as Tesla needs Apple designer-engineers . . .
    Are you ok?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland said:
    flaneur said:
    ^^^ But trust me, it won't matter in the end. Apple is going to need a battery factory, an electric car company, and a space rocket company. 

Just as much as Tesla needs Apple designer-engineers . . .
    Are you ok?
    Thanks for asking, I'm alright. Apple's AR needs for real-time data will have to include 3D views of Earth. I always said they were going to have a space program, even here, but nobody cared until you. 

The Apollo program only cost 150 billion $ in today's dollars. Apple could do or buy a net of Earth observatories for what would seem peanuts to them. It's just a practical application of Al Gore's idea of promoting planetary consciousness to the masses by broadcasting live satellite  views of Earth to everyone. But 3D AR views will make Apple's glasses very compelling. Got to think big and a little bit ahead.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland said:
    flaneur said:
    Gruber links to an old story today about Matt Casebolt, Mac engineering leader, who also moved to Tesla.

http://daringfireball.net/

It occurs to me that it dioesn't matter, this so-called poaching war between Apple and Tesla, because the two companies are going to end up merging anyway. Trust me (and I never ever have used that stupid phrase before).

The cultures are too different. I'd rather see them competing than merging.
    I can see that point of view, but maybe Apple is sending over some of their best engineers to convert the culture in advance of the inevitable merging. 

I only hope Elon isn't reading this ¡¡¡
  • Reply 24 of 31
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Well, the fact that he expects them in a decade is definitely a sign he's not very smart about cars. 
    It is very realistic to have fully autonomous cars in 10 years, Tesla already has partial autonomous today, it's a matter of software at this point.
    That is a very tech only viewpoint that ignores human behaviour, the weather, the speed of government, potential backlash, and other obstacles.  While over 10,000 Americans may die each year from accidents involving only humans, it only takes one death from a supposedly "safe" fully autonomous vehicle to delay widespread introduction. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    schlack said:
    Apple is so left behind on the car front...
    Apple was also considered behind in the MP3 player, mobile phone, tablet and smartwatch markets.  

Maybe they will never produce a car or car system, but you have absolutely no clue one way or the other. 
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Well, the fact that he expects them in a decade is definitely a sign he's not very smart about cars. 
    It is very realistic to have fully autonomous cars in 10 years, Tesla already has partial autonomous today, it's a matter of software at this point.

No it's not. It's taken 75 years to get to where we are now, and we are leaps and bounds away from Minority Report.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    If cars are simply appliances then Tesla has some serious work to do around affordability. The only reason the high-end auto manufacturers can charge the outlandish prices they currently charge is to appeal to very non appliance related human emotions like ego, vanity, machismo, narcissism, self indulgence, and of course sex. When's the last time you saw a hot actress macho man, cowboy, or well heeled hipster touting the status inflating virtues of a toaster or vacuum cleaner in a television commercial?

• Reply 28 of 31
    dewme said:
    If cars are simply appliances then Tesla has some serious work to do around affordability. The only reason the high-end auto manufacturers can charge the outlandish prices they currently charge is to appeal to very non appliance related human emotions like ego, vanity, machismo, narcissism, self indulgence, and of course sex. When's the last time you saw a hot actress macho man, cowboy, or well heeled hipster touting the status inflating virtues of a toaster or vacuum cleaner in a television commercial?

You've got it all backwards. YOU'VE got some serious work to do to afford one, so get busy!

We're very much looking forward to the Model 3.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    schlack said:
    Apple is so left behind on the car front...
    They're left behind on the every front:
    Biomedical technology 
    Colonizing Mars
    Cold Fusion
    talking dishwashers

can you believe Apple still doesn't have its own aerospace division yet?
    pscooter63brucemc
  • Reply 30 of 31
    flaneur said:
    Gruber links to an old story today about Matt Casebolt, Mac engineering leader, who also moved to Tesla.

http://daringfireball.net/

It occurs to me that it dioesn't matter, this so-called poaching war between Apple and Tesla, because the two companies are going to end up merging anyway. Trust me (and I never ever have used that stupid phrase before).

There's a simple reason behind that anticipated merger - people want a superior product on their hands. Not that Apple or Tesla are not committed enough to that, but there's an increasingly growing number of people convinced they could get even more, and in their eyes it's very simple to be obtained - merger. Gonna happen cause the audience feels it's feasible to get product(s) that will exceed their expectations. Only because of that reason is this merger inevitable.