Theater Mode, SiriKit coming to Apple Watch in forthcoming watchOS 3.2 beta

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Even though Apple has not yet released a beta for new watchOS system software, it has shared some notes about it, with additions including SiriKit on the Apple Watch, and Theater Mode being implemented in it and not the iPhone as previously rumored.

SiriKit has been available on the iPhone and iPad since iOS 10 was released. In addition to extending Siri's support for messaging, photo search and phone calls to more apps when paired with an iPhone, SiriKit also adds support for new services, including ride booking and personal payments.

With SiriKit, Apple is using its App Extension mechanism to allow third party developers to build new support for Siri into their apps by registering "domains" and "intents" they can handle. Within each domain, Siri interprets user "intents" -- what it understands the user wants to accomplish -- and passes this to the app to handle.

"Theater Mode" was first lleaked in late-December as a feature for the iPhone, and it appears it will allow Apple Watch owners to disable the "rise to wake" function on the watch, but still notify users with haptic feedback of notifications without illuminating the watch. A subsequent tap on the watch face will wake the watch.

Apple has given no indication when the Apple Watch beta release will be made available. Betas for macOS 10.12.4, iOS 10.3, and tvOS 10.2 were made on early Tuesday afternoon, only a day after full OS releases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Now, if Apple could only fix that bug whereby you still get haptic notifications for conversations on which you've set "Do Not Distrub" ...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Wasn't Theater Mode specially rumoured as the key feature or an iPad focused update?
    Leading to lots of discussion about how it made no sense as an iPad feature. (fun times)
    Watch/iPad are pretty much the same thing?

Also, hope you are downgrading the standing of the original rumour provider based on the wrongness of the claim. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'd love to see an automatic theater mode. There's absolutely no reason based on GPS that the watch couldn't automatically switch into it. Same for the phone as far as that goes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    I'd love to see an automatic theater mode. There's absolutely no reason based on GPS that the watch couldn't automatically switch into it. Same for the phone as far as that goes.
    There are lots of reasons why you can't rely on the GPS coordinates inside of a building at this point in time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Now, if Apple could only fix that bug whereby you still get haptic notifications for conversations on which you've set "Do Not Distrub" …
    Since watchOS 3 I get old notifications on my Watch even after I put it into Airplane mode.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    mattinoz said:
    Sure, non-identical twins.
    Although I will say though I've taken my Watch into a theater several times, I've yet to do so with my iPads.

Currently I switch my Watch face to a 'theater-compatible' face to minimize distraction to others, should I inadvertently raise/rotate my wrist. I always keep it in Silent mode.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macgui said:
    mattinoz said:
    Sure, non-identical twins.
    Although I will say though I've taken my Watch into a theater several times, I've yet to do so with my iPads.

Currently I switch my Watch face to a 'theater-compatible' face to minimize distraction to others, should I inadvertently raise/rotate my wrist. I always keep it in Silent mode.
    It's too much rigamarole to go into Settings to turn off Raise to Wake, but I do have Theater mode watch face and I enable Airplane mode. Red is the least intrusive color in a dark theater.

It would be nice to have the appropriate Settings options auto-enable simply be swiping to a particular watch face.

edited January 2017