DirecTV Now breaks 200,000 subscribers in problematic first month of service

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,423member
    Soli said:
    mwhite said:
    Minus 1 as soon as my 3 months are up…
    I gave it you a shot, but there's too much that's missing to make it a good service. I understand that network channels, like CBS, want to have pay a separate fee and use a separate app but I want it to be a single payment for group of channels. Maybe one day…

    From a technical stand point I've had no issues with any content I tried after the first weekend.

    NY1822 said:
    How many signed up for 3 months for a free apple tv?
    I did.
    I did too. My experience so far with DirectTV Now hasn't been great, and I've no intention of continuing it beyond the three-month commitment barring very significant improvements before March.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I signed up for the Apple TV deal. I paid $111 after tax, which saved me almost $40 over buying just the Apple TV after tax. The service has been pretty good. There was one time I know of that I got the "too many streams" error, but backing out and going back into it on the Apple TV cleared it up. 

    The signup is where I had issues. Somehow, on the payment screen, after clicking submit, it took me back to the payment screen, which I checked everything and submitted again. The next day I discovered two charges to my card for the $111 and some change. There is no phone number to reach anyone, so it's all done through online chat. The person I chatted with was able to have her supervisor approve a refund, after she said I signed up twice (!), but I only got the base amount of $105. Eh... whatever. At least I got that back. I was assured the Apple TV would be rushed out due to the inconvenience. I received shipping notification the following day, and it arrived two days later. The refund posted back to my account the next day as well. 

    The C|Net review stated single sign-on support for several of the channels. I couldn't get it to work, nor would any of the network apps authenticate. Another chat with DIRECTV Now, and I was told it isn't supported... That was quite a disappointment. 

    So, for now, it's keeping the husband happy, as he's been pushing to have either DIRECTV or Dish installed, which I didn't want either of them, mainly due to contracts. Since we're moving at the end of the year, I didn't want to deal with all that nonsense getting in the way. On top of that, I don't want yet another device cluttering up the entertainment center or the bedroom. 
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,246member
    firelock said:
    I cut the cord back in 2010 and never looked back. But since I was in the market for a second Apple TV 4 anyway, I figured I would give this a try. The service actually works pretty well for me. No severe problems, just occasional slight stuttering during the streams. I have a very good internet service (Frontier FIOS 150/150) so I don't know if that helps. Overall it works as advertised and expected. However, I am still dropping the service after the 3-month trial. I just can't go back to watching TV like this. Channels, timeslots, commercials... And I don't really care if they introduce a DVR feature later or not. I don't want to have to set up a DVR to "record" shows.
    Same here, the $35 price is reasonable for all the channels, but with no DVR, it's like going back to the days before TIVO. I've hardly used the service. But I got the AppleTV for the lower price and tried 3 months of this service, and it's OK. If I was a sports person, then ESPN and watching when it airs would be OK, don't need a DVR so much for that, though I would still record so that I can skip commercials. That's just the biggest problem. I really won't miss it. I have a Antenna and Tivo and so I'm all good. With Netflix, and a few other tricks with PLEX. I'll be just fine.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,423member
    jbdragon said:
    firelock said:
    I cut the cord back in 2010 and never looked back. But since I was in the market for a second Apple TV 4 anyway, I figured I would give this a try. The service actually works pretty well for me. No severe problems, just occasional slight stuttering during the streams. I have a very good internet service (Frontier FIOS 150/150) so I don't know if that helps. Overall it works as advertised and expected. However, I am still dropping the service after the 3-month trial. I just can't go back to watching TV like this. Channels, timeslots, commercials... And I don't really care if they introduce a DVR feature later or not. I don't want to have to set up a DVR to "record" shows.
    Same here, the $35 price is reasonable for all the channels, but with no DVR, it's like going back to the days before TIVO. I've hardly used the service. But I got the AppleTV for the lower price and tried 3 months of this service, and it's OK. If I was a sports person, then ESPN and watching when it airs would be OK, don't need a DVR so much for that, though I would still record so that I can skip commercials. That's just the biggest problem. I really won't miss it. I have a Antenna and Tivo and so I'm all good. With Netflix, and a few other tricks with PLEX. I'll be just fine.
    Good plan. Pretty much what I'd stick with if my wife didn't complain about not having SyFy and I wasn't such a fan of college ball, (ESPN/FoxSports). Therefore I include Sling, changing out for ESPN depending on what sports season it is. 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    firelock said:
    I cut the cord back in 2010 and never looked back. But since I was in the market for a second Apple TV 4 anyway, I figured I would give this a try. The service actually works pretty well for me. No severe problems, just occasional slight stuttering during the streams. I have a very good internet service (Frontier FIOS 150/150) so I don't know if that helps. Overall it works as advertised and expected. However, I am still dropping the service after the 3-month trial. I just can't go back to watching TV like this. Channels, timeslots, commercials... And I don't really care if they introduce a DVR feature later or not. I don't want to have to set up a DVR to "record" shows.
    Same here, the $35 price is reasonable for all the channels, but with no DVR, it's like going back to the days before TIVO. I've hardly used the service. But I got the AppleTV for the lower price and tried 3 months of this service, and it's OK. If I was a sports person, then ESPN and watching when it airs would be OK, don't need a DVR so much for that, though I would still record so that I can skip commercials. That's just the biggest problem. I really won't miss it. I have a Antenna and Tivo and so I'm all good. With Netflix, and a few other tricks with PLEX. I'll be just fine.
    Good plan. Pretty much what I'd stick with if my wife didn't complain about not having SyFy and I wasn't such a fan of college ball, (ESPN/FoxSports). Therefore I include Sling, changing out for ESPN depending on what sports season it is. 
    I found Sling very meh.  Lots of pauses and I have FIOS.  DirectTV now is also meh.  Yes, watching TV the old fashioned way really sucks.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    sog35 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Lack of local channels killed it for me. No access to ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox, which are must haves for sports fans. If they can add these stations I may come back. And yes I know I can use an antenna but I want everything integrated into the ATV and I'm not paying Channels app on top of DTV for that. 
    Then you are cheapskate.

    Paying $25 for the channels app is pocket change to get ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS.  We are talking pennies a month if you keep it for multiple years.

    If DTV had locals the price would be much higher. For Playstation Vue its $10 a month for markets that have locals. The channels App is 100% worth the money.  If you are unwilling to pay then you will never be satisfied. Almost every service on earth charges at least $10 a month for local channels. 
    You mean $25 for the Channels app (which may or may not be supported for years), then $100–150 for one of the antennas they link to on their site, as well as whatever it costs in time or money to setup. All that just to get back to a terrestrial antenna setup when most of us just want a single app solution to access TV in the 21st century.

    I'm not against terrestrial radio for my TV, but I don't care enough about local channels that I want to spend upwards of $200 plus a day running cable and mounting an antenna without any solid interest in an archaic solution being bolted to modern solution. I'd rather just pay my cable company which is more expensive after 4–5 months… so I guess I'm a cheapskate, too, even though it would cost me more money.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    cali said:
    NY1822 said:
    How many signed up for 3 months for a free apple tv?
    With that price I got a second one.

    the app is terrible though. We'll be enjoying content and it'll just kick us out.

    nemaworm said:
    I have my Apple TV connected with ethernet on a time warner 300mbps line.  Of course this only gives a 95mbps consistent down speed since apple only has a 100mbps ethernet which is a whole other conversation....(Here's hoping  that apple doesn't skimp on the next Apple TV and put a gigabit ethernet line).  With that being said directtvnow has been very stable so far.  Been watching the NFL playoff games, NBA games and the local news and it's been very clear with no pauses so far.  Streaming on a computer has a lot of pauses so that needs work but on the Apple TV and the iPhone it's been a solid performer even on LTE out of the house.  With HBO for $5 compared to the $15 subscription it's been a winner for me.  It's nice that i can log into the hbo app with the directtvnow  login so that i can get the surround sound tracks since the directtvnow Apple TV app is only stereo.  It has room to grow and work out the bumps.  we will see how the Super Bowl broadcast holds up.


    What?!

    i don't get local channels on mine.

    when I say local I mean the  directtvnow abc channel will broadcast the abc7 los Angeles eyewitness news,  NBC channel will be the local Los Angeles news, FOX channel will be the fox 11  news.  Which is the same as a cable providers abc channel 7 broadcast.   I live in southern california.   The flood coverage and stupid people trying to cross flooded streets has been entertaining.lol  If you see a car up to the window with water what makes you think your car is going to make it across.lol
  • Reply 28 of 30
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    cpsro said:
    Very happy with the $35/mo. deal, free Apple TV, and service here, including the unlimited streaming over AT&T cellular. Deep down, though, I'm not happy AT&T's unlimited streaming constitutes a violation of Net Neutrality and that Trump's appointment to the FCC chairmanship will undoubtably gut the Net Neutrality regulations, chipping away our 1st Amendment rights.
    Net Neutrality has been dead for almost 3 years now. Once Netflix starting paying Comcast for faster access (source WSJ 2014), "Net Neutrality" was broken. I'm sure that had nothing to do with Comcast VP Cohen's 2012 fundraiser for Obama at his private residence.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Bailed after the first month. The Direct TV Now service would fail to work or stutter quite badly (and I have 100MB down). Got a Fire TV stick for my trouble, though.

    So far, for overall picture quality and reliability, PlayStation Vue has them all beat. I can live without Comedy Central.
Sign In or Register to comment.