Apple demands specially-certified chips & factories for HomeKit devices, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    wiggin said:
    As I understand it Apple will not certify a device that would bridge to other technology standards. 
    This is NOT correct.  Phillips Hue and Insteon BOTH have Apple approved bridges that connect their respective non-homekit networks of devices into a HomeKit environment. What Apple has forbidden is the bridging of any "entry" devices such as garage door openers or door locks via bridges.  Light switches, motion sensors, environment sensors, etc CAN be bridged and participate in a HomeKit HA environment.  Allowed non-HK native products participate just as fully in a HK environment as native ones (I know because I am doing it already).  But what ONLY HK brings to the table presently is insane good security.  Apple adopted a key length in excess of 3000 bits running against an elliptical curve algorithm while most current HA products on the market offer weak security at best.  I will gladly pay to replace, perfectly functional, non-HK devices with native HK equivalents as they come to market, even if they come in at a higher price as I simply take security very seriously. 
    edited January 2017 Soliirelandwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 34
    It's HomeKit for me. especially after the recent news of IoT device hacks. HK has lighting, entry, blinds, switches, and power. Not sure what else I'd need... Hue system is great tho it uses a bridge. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    k2kw said:
    MplsP said:
    I fully agree with security, but if their requirements are so stringent and onerous that they prevent devices from coming to market what's the point? Apple is already behind in the home automation game. If they keep delaying their market presence they risk becoming the Betamax of home automation; technically better but pushed out of the market by the sheer numbers of the 'inferior' standard. 

Cost is another concern. Many people are unaware of the security differences, so if the additional costs of manufacturing, approval and limited market share make all the devices twice as much they will end up going with the cheaper option. If this happens too much then you risk having the cycle where the limited market share of HomeKit means fewer companies make devices, leading more people to choose competing systems.

Yes, Alexa is growing in popularity due in large part to HA.

Coid HomeKit be the BetaMax of Home Automation?

Hopefully Apple will release Echo competitor this year.
    BetaMax?  Only until the Amazon gear is demoed as being hackable and the whole platform is called into question. 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Um, "insure" should be "ensure".
  • Reply 25 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Apple, true to form, comes late to a market and then proceeds to dominate, because they take the time to get right the critical aspects of the products that serve each market.  I don't see this unfolding any differently in home automation.  As discussed throughout this comment thread, security is a key aspect for this market.  Just one clear incident of a home being accessed via a security breach and some child inside being abducted or murdered will focus the public's attention where it needs to be.  Apple's reputation across its entire product portfolio and brand relies upon it not being the company pointed to when that day comes.  Apple has no choice but to implement a super secure home automation ecosystem, and would seek to do so even if there were a choice in the matter, I suspect.  

Further, Apple's potential market for this stuff isn't really those who are now using other products, those early adopters who are blending products and bridges/hubs from multiple vendors.  It's also not those who are using Alexa, not specifically.  Apple's market is its current loyal customer base, perhaps accessed through their more discerning choices in the things they purchase, like new homes.  Apple needs only for its home automation partners to be able to sell their wares to home builders, using a strong security message to clinch the deal.  And then those new homes will become part of the Apple ecosystem.  
    edited January 2017 Solitmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Fatman said:
    It's all about security. If you want your home hacked (locks, garage doors, routers, thermostats, etc)  then buy anything out there. Apple is trying to establish a model that at least lessens the chance of security breach - yes they make money doing it, but they also provide quality assurance and peace of mind to the customer. I do not see a correlation between a large factory that makes Star Wars toys and a factory having a proven capability of producing secure IOT chips and devices for home automation.
    Apple is probably so strict because of searching and testing everything in order to be sure there are no HW backdoors in chips, especialy when most of them is produced in China. And of course testing SW carefully as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Good on Apple, your home is your refuge, your safe house, your little part of the planet you claim as your own. It should not be compromised if at all possible. If I were to automate my home at some point, I wouldn't want to go with anybody else. I do have my issues with Apple on some fronts, but one of the main reasons I stick with them despite that is their priority on security and customer privacy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MplsP said:
    Notsofast said:
    Slow down and breathe Minneapolis Pete.  Their security policies are preventing devices from coming to market, there are already over a hundred HomeKit certified products. And please take a few minutes to do some basic comparison.  They aren't twice as expensive, and are usually the same or less.  It's growing steadily.  Finally, think about what you are suggesting.  That Apple should engage in the same reckless behavior as Amazon and enable companies that often have little or no meaningful security in place to rush out products.  For heaven's sake, there would be no meaning to being HomeKit compatible because people trust that Apple is building an ecosystem that protects their privacy and security.   Here's an article I urge you to read about the dangers that Amazon and others have brought to your homes and that Apple is trying to prevent.

http://www.businessinsider.com/internet-of-things-hack-shows-cybersecurity-importance-2016-10

I'm not trying to suggest that the security isn't important or that Apple should be reckless and abandon security - I was responding to what the article presented as very stringent, even onerous approval procedures for home kit devices and pointing out that if they make the approval process so long or difficult that it limits devices or increases their costs it could cripple what is still a fledgling market.
    While possible, it is early days. As Apple gets more experience I see this process speeding up. But a year and secure is better than 2 weeks and not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    brucemc said:
    Right now, it would seem that "western societies" in general do not seem overly concerned by security or privacy issues at the consumer level. 
    I think that should read
    Parts of Western Society and almost all others do not seem to be concerned about security.

I for one am almost paranoid about my security of my internet connection and activities.
    Far too many people believe that 'it won't happen to me' when it comes to security and especially identidy theft.
    As someone who had their identity stolen before the internet was invented, let me tell you that it sucks big time. I couldn't get a loan to buy a house for SEVEN years after the event. Fixing your credit score back then was impossible.
    I won't use any IOT stuff in my home, secure or not. I don't stream any TV because I don't want the Ad agencies to know what I watch.
    Stay under the radar and your life will be a lot better in the long run.

• Reply 30 of 34
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Fatman said:
    It's all about security. If you want your home hacked (locks, garage doors, routers, thermostats, etc)  then buy anything out there. Apple is trying to establish a model that at least lessens the chance of security breach - yes they make money doing it, but they also provide quality assurance and peace of mind to the customer. I do not see a correlation between a large factory that makes Star Wars toys and a factory having a proven capability of producing secure IOT chips and devices for home automation.
    Exactly! And that's a reason I have an iPhone. I'm not bringing a product home that may have god knows what in it to keep over my home. I mean we've seen blank USB dongles with malware same with other devices. Apple at least "trying" to protect me is a huge plus. iOS alone is a huge plus.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    EvetsEvets Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    "Finished product samples must be sent to Apple's home in Cupertino for compatibility testing, a process said to take three to five months" Ensuring the security of HomeKit devices is essential, however Apple can certainly do better than a two to five month time frame for compatibility testing. With these sorts of delays they might as well wave the white flag of surrender and cede the entire IoT market to Amazon, Google, et al.
    edited January 2017 MplsPpatchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Fatman said:

your right, but it's more than just being able to produce the technology. it's about being able to trust the manufacturer to not inject a back door or trojan into the firmware unbeknownst to the client/developer. just scan recent news regarding the recording devices for CCTV to see examples of this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/remote-code-execution-flaw-found-in-firmware-of-70-different-cctv-dvr-vendors-502096.shtml

people keep buying IoT devices not thinking about the security problems introduced by bringing these devices into your LAN networks. I'm hesitant to buy anything that connects to my LAN without some way of knowing that it can't send data out to a secret server somewhere without my knowledge or permission.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 33 of 34
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    Apple, true to form, comes late to a market and then proceeds to dominate, because they take the time to get right the critical aspects of the products that serve each market.  I don't see this unfolding any differently in home automation.  As discussed throughout this comment thread, security is a key aspect for this market.  Just one clear incident of a home being accessed via a security breach and some child inside being abducted or murdered will focus the public's attention where it needs to be.  Apple's reputation across its entire product portfolio and brand relies upon it not being the company pointed to when that day comes.  Apple has no choice but to implement a super secure home automation ecosystem, and would seek to do so even if there were a choice in the matter, I suspect.  

Further, Apple's potential market for this stuff isn't really those who are now using other products, those early adopters who are blending products and bridges/hubs from multiple vendors.  It's also not those who are using Alexa, not specifically.  Apple's market is its current loyal customer base, perhaps accessed through their more discerning choices in the things they purchase, like new homes.  Apple needs only for its home automation partners to be able to sell their wares to home builders, using a strong security message to clinch the deal.  And then those new homes will become part of the Apple ecosystem.  
    Coming back to catch up on this thread, this covers most of what I was thinking as I read through.

I do wonder about one other thing. I wonder if the hubbub about Apple's plans for routers and such is wrapped up in HomeKit plans. One of the annoying things about many of the home automation devices coming on the market is the requirement for some kind of bridge or hub for each set of the devices: one for lights, one for locks, one for cameras, etc. That eventually adds up to a lot of gadgets vying for shelf space and ethernet connections to your router. Could Apple's next generation of networking devices eliminate the need for all that stuff? I hope so, and that would seem to comport with Apple's habit of coming in "late," but simplifying and tying otherwise messy things together into something that's easier, more reliable and more aesthetically appealing.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    I honestly don't know why Apple just didn't start making the devices themselves. Maybe about 20 different basic items with some variation. Ie, light controllers, wall outlets, water, smoke, humidity, etc sensors; thermostats,
    patchythepirate