Apple issues watchOS 3.1.3 and tvOS 10.1.1 maintenance updates

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Adding to the bevy of updates, Apple on Monday released watchOS 3.1.3 and tvOS 10.1.1, the former being Apple's first Watch update since the botched 3.1.1 code from December.

Apple Watch owners can download the 3.1.3 update through the official Watch app on their iPhone, tapping on General and then Software Update. The software can only be installed on a Watch within range of an iPhone, and even then a Watch must be plugged into a charger and already have 50 percent battery life. iPhones must be running iOS 10 or later.

It's not clear what changes are in watchOS 3.1.3, but some were presumably meant for 3.1.1, like fixes to Maps, Messages, notifications, and more. That software was pulled on Dec. 13 after some people complained that it was bricking their Watches, forcing them to send their devices off for repair or replacement.

tvOS 10.1.1 for the fourth-generation Apple TV is believed to be another maintenance update, as no significant differences have been found so far. If automatic updates aren't on, the software can be downloaded by going into the Settings app, selecting System and then tapping on Software Update.

December's tvOS 10.1 update introduced a "TV" app, unifying different content sources, and enabled single sign-on support for various cable, satellite, and streaming services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Meanwhile, I've been having a strange problem ever since I got my 7+. With my older 6+ I had no problems pairing my series 2 Watch. But I had a problem with my backup, so I couldn't use it. I added stuff back manually where I needed to. But the watch won't pair with the phone, even though it's connected and the apps work. Very strange. When I have time to get to Apple I'm going to see if they can figure it out.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    If you haven't; maybe try clearing / forgetting all Bluetooth connections from Bluetooth and Network Control Panels on your Mac. And do same applicable on Phone and on watch.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    anybody get bricked yet (watchOS)?
    jlsebewaing
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rezwits said:
    I've been wondering the same thing. Not going to update until I can get some clarification 
    jlsebewaing
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rezwits said:
    Yep.  Right here.  Apple Watch Series 2, 42mm, Rose Gold.  3.1.3 bricked my watch.  Fortunately I am within the 14 day return period.  Back it goes.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Mikeymike said:
    If you haven't; maybe try clearing / forgetting all Bluetooth connections from Bluetooth and Network Control Panels on your Mac. And do same applicable on Phone and on watch.
    Well, the problem is that it's connected to the phone. Bluetooth works just fine. All of the apps that need the phone work well. It's the recognition function in the Watch app that isn't working.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    My apple series 2 also bricked when upgrading to 3.1.3.  Returned it to apple to fix, but got an email back saying they can't fix it.  So, they are returning it to me.  I bought mine in November, so no idea what I can do.  I'm really upset as this was the $1299 ceramic edition.  I thought this was supposed to fixed, but all beware.  
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hi everyone - just a quick update.  Although I'm still disappointed my new apple watch bricked when upgrading to 3.1.3; and after returning it to apple only be told they can't fix it - they did the right thing, and sent me a new watch.  I'm happy, but also disappointed - no real explanation as to what went wrong, and how to avoid next time.  You can bet that I will use extreme caution before I upgrade the watch on the next release.  Next time, I'll wait several days/weeks before I attempt.