G4 Cubes and some people's obsessions.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by g3joel:

<strong>They make awesome headless servers! Because of its quietness, size and aesthetics you could put it in any room in the house. I want one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MacNN sure thought so. All hail their mighty web server!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Altivec_2.0:

<strong>I think that they should re introduce the Cube. But instead have the iCube. It should come as follows

1GHz G4 and Dual 800Mhz G4

L3 Cache at 512K

L3 Cache at 1.5MB per processor

Max of 1.5GB of PC2700 Ram

200GB Hard drive

ATI 9000 Pro 128MB Video

Superdrive

Al the neccesary I/O ports

A special editon monitor that matches the cube.

If they came out with one of these I would put down $3000 right away to get one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why would you want to spend $3000 on a melted block of plastic?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Why would there be either a single GHz or a dual 800 MHz? Apple tried that with the single 867/dual 800 lineup and it resulted in confusion. The high end should always be clear.

I agree a new Cube would be cool, but I think the design was fundamentally flawed in that it couldn't handle most graphics cards, it requires an external power supply, and it can't handle the heat well enough.

If the Cube was bigger, had an internal PSU, a very quiet fan, had the ability to put any graphics card in that you want, and had ports someplace other than on the bottom, it would be much better.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Randycat99:

<strong>I'll always regret not getting one when they were still being sold. If there ever was a computer to have just for collector history sake, it is that one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm...really? I personally think the FP iMac is more worthy of collector status than any other PC out there, the Cube included.

Yes the Cube is a great machine from a technical standpoint. But it's really mostly about the miniturization of the traditional standalone tower. Of course in a very elegant and tasteful way.

The iMac on the other hand is a totally different beast. Combining the ergonomics, design and technology of an LCD all in one package.

It'll probably take some time before we see which one stands the test of time. Very often products which are discontinued seem to garner museum status only because they're not readily available anymore.

And oh, can you tell? I have an iMac.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    there is the point that it may be an instant collector's item, due to its soap-opera type story, limited production compared to other apple computers, and doubtful ability of anyone else putting enough r&d into making a pc-equivalent down the road.

plus, if you have an agp model, it's still VERY upgradeable and very usable. for example, dual 867, put a geforce3, find a slot-loading cd-rw -- or slot-loading dvd-r for that matter -- pack it with a gig of ram, and hell, you're set pretty nicely. if you can find a card that wll fit that'll offer dual monitor connections on one card, you've even got mutli-monitor ability. pretty nice for an 8-inch cube.