LG UltraFine 5K Display possibly affected by interference from nearby wi-fi router

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Wow, my wifi router is right next to my Retina MBP screen .. and it flickers!  
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I had the same issue with my MB Pro 2016 TB and the 5K Ultrafine monitor. I brought the computer and monitor in to the Apple Store and we tested my computer, one of theirs (but no TB), my monitor, their monitor, my cable, and their cable in various combinations. In the end the flickering screens (monitor and MB Pro) and crashing of the MB Pro only occurred with my MB Pro. Theirs works with either cable and either monitor. They replaced my MB pro (had to be ordered as it was custom with 1TB Flash drive). I received the new computer and restored it and it seemed fine but did have one crash while playing a YouTube video. Then after I moved some items around on my very small desk (Verizon router, Apple Router, computer, papers, etc) the problem recurred!! I read online a comment about possible wifi interference and slid the monitor away from the routers and moved the routers bit further away and placed my papers between the routers and the monitor and the problem resolved! I am away for a few days but I will try some more detailed testing with the 2 routers to see if I can reproduce the problem. I am surprised that such an expensive monitor would be subject to such a significant and disabling problem. If LG dresses this with improved shielding I will contact them and ask for a replacement under warranty. It was a real hassle to restore my computer but that is done and I am very pleased with the MB Pro with Touch bar and the 1TB flash drive. It is really super fast and I personally love the keyboard. I also find the touchID in the touch bar to be a killer feature. The rest of the touch bar functionality is very intriguing and I am slowly finding it more and more helpful. I have to remember to look at it!
    edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Great news: in the world of "let's make everything wireless", companies are shipping inconsistently shielded cables with their expensive products, leaving some of them randomly vulnerable to interference.

always with the cheapass cables...
  • Reply 24 of 27
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    If wi-fi does that to a monitor, imagine what it does to your brain. Obey the common sense law:  use ethernet if you can, and never use a wi-fi device near your head.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    wozwoz said:
    If wi-fi does that to a monitor, imagine what it does to your brain. Obey the common sense law:  use ethernet if you can, and never use a wi-fi device near your head.
    This is bad science. Don't do this. There is no evidence that RF from Wi-Fi or mobile is ionizing, or even dangerous at all, to human tissue
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I definitely experienced this as i have a router on my desk. Three hours of blinking and crashing and dead on 'wake from sleep'. In addition when the monitor was working, moving the USB-c cable also caused the monitor to flake out. I returned it immediately. Now that the cause is explained i probably won't repurchase. Never had a monitor do something like this in my life and the wifi location distance isn't something worth taking a chance on. Another surprising thing:  while returns to the Apple store are the most simple thing ever, they never asked me WHY I was returning it. You'd think somebody would want to know. 
  • Reply 27 of 27
    I posted the original feedback on the Apple Store website concerning the WiFi proximity issue, and I can assure you it has nothing to do with the cable. The first time I experienced this issue, I had the display attached to a mid-2014 MBP using an Apple Thunderbolt2-to-Thunder3 adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt cable. The second time I experienced this issue, I had the display attached to a 2016 MBP using the cable shipping with the display. The WiFi router inducing the issue is a 2012 AirPort Extreme.