Apple pushes AirPods firmware 3.5.1 to synchronized iPhones with minor bug fixes

Posted:
in iPhone
A firmware update for Apple's AirPods is being distributed now, which brings undisclosed bug fixes to Apple's sought-after wireless earbuds.

Apple AirPods firmware 3.5.1 is available for users now, and in all likelihood, has already been downloaded to a synchronized device. Installation is automatic when the AirPods are in their charging case, the case is plugged into a charger, and the linked iPhone is in close proximity and connected to Wi-Fi.

Users can check the installed firmware revision in the "General" settings menu, by selecting "About," then "AirPods."

AppleInsider was told by a contact within Apple that the update contains "miscellaneous minor bug fixes." It is not clear at this time if the update does anything to reduce or eliminate the claims by a number of owners that the devices have connectivity issues.

AppleInsider went hands-on with the $159 wireless headphones and came away impressed with their advanced technology and ease of use. The earbuds include an Apple-designed W1 chip for easy pairing and Bluetooth connectivity, as well as beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, and a small charging and carrying case.

The fully wireless headphones come with a one-year warranty that covers audio defects and battery problems. Outside of that period, standard repairs are $69, battery service is $49, and replacement buds in the event of one being lost will cost $69 each..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    I'm glad that (a) there is a way to update firmware and (b) it's so easy.  Checking mine this morning... yes, it auto-updated last night.

Looking forward, I hope that Apple is able to overcome the connectivity issues (most prevalent with iPhone 6s) since the AirPods in general are wonderful.  After today's update my AirPods still have frequent blips in Music playback.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    They're already at version 3.5.x? Must've been a lot of issues in earlier builds!?! Or is the firmware shared with other components that have been around longer?
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 43
    I can't find the screen shown.  Under Setting > General > About I don't see any mention of AirPods, nor does a search for "AirPods" within Settings reveal anything.  I'm running 10.2.1 on a 6s.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 43
    I can't find the screen shown.  Under Setting > General > About I don't see any mention of AirPods, nor does a search for "AirPods" within Settings reveal anything.  I'm running 10.2.1 on a 6s.
    Make sure Airpods are connect.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Received mine a few days ago. Love them. Absolutely no issues. Was pleasantly surprised to get about 75-100 feet of range outdoors, between my phone sitting on the deck and me raking leaves in the yard. I expected a good fit as I had success with EarPods. Sound quality is excellent and the convenience is unmatched. Haven't had to recharge the case yet, so I'll try this tonight.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Same here - AirPods are connected, but no AirPods in the About menu...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    They're already at version 3.5.x? Must've been a lot of issues in earlier builds!?! Or is the firmware shared with other components that have been around longer?
    They shipped with 3.3.1. This is the first consumer-facing firmware update.
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    I'm waiting on an AirPods virus that causes them to loop Justin Bieber songs at 130 dB until the batteries die.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    LTE needs to be on...I had turned it off to workaround the audio drop issue. When I turned LTE back on, the AirPods appeared in the About window.

Thats really odd when you think about it..

damn_its_hot
  • Reply 10 of 43
    CbrgnycCbrgnyc Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    thrang said:
    Same here - AirPods are connected, but no AirPods in the About menu...
    Open the case while next to the phone in the "About" and Airpods will show up in the list
  • Reply 11 of 43
    mike1 said:
    Received mine a few days ago. Love them. Absolutely no issues. Was pleasantly surprised to get about 75-100 feet of range outdoors, between my phone sitting on the deck and me raking leaves in the yard. I expected a good fit as I had success with EarPods. Sound quality is excellent and the convenience is unmatched. Haven't had to recharge the case yet, so I'll try this tonight.
    How long did it take to get yours?  Their web site still says 6 weeks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Anyone having trouble getting a pair of AirPods - follow r/airpods. Thanks to a post on that sub, I was able to order from AT&T on I/3/17 and receive them next day - when all other outlets including Apple were (and still are) 6 weeks out. 
  • Reply 13 of 43
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    sog35 said:

Apple is killing it now. I have the right to get excited.

Not to mention my Apple shares are up about $30k the last 6 months, and $7k from today alone
    Fully agree, what a quarter (and stock price)!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I have had no issues with iPhone 7 or iPad connectivity with AirPods.  However, I have had some issues with Apple Watch.  Even when I make sure that AirPods are connected & active with iPhone (say after having used them with iPad), sometimes when I go to play music directly from Apple Watch it says that AirPods are not connected.  Maybe 3 times when playing music directly from Apple Watch the connection has dropped completely, and has taken numerous manual tries to re-establish.  Will see after update if any improvements.  

Obviously early days, and overall I am delighted with the product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

sog35 said:
    This is why Apple is great.

So easy to get an update. Other companies don't even give updates.

Airpods + Watch = future

Clear as day that Apple is dominating wearables and will continue to dominate.

All the critics said Airpods were crap. WRONG. Sold out for months.

All the critics said Macbook sucked. WRONG. Most Mac revenue EVER last quarter.

All the critics said iPhone7 was crap with no headphones. WRONG. Most iPhones sold EVER.

All the critics said Apple can't do services. WRONG. 150 million paid subscribers and $25 billion in revenue. And will double revenue in 4 years.
    And yet you have consistently called for Tim Cook to be fired over the last 2 years.  Glad to see that your new meds are helping - please stay on them this time!!!
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobrawaverboymacgui
  • Reply 16 of 43
    mike1 said:
    left my phone at my desk at the office, listening to podcast.  Went to get coffee at the kitchen about 120 feet & audio was still playing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    If 3.5.1 does not install on it own...reset and re-pair AirPod case. Not a lot of info out there on this yet...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ohanlen said:
    If 3.5.1 does not install on it own...reset and re-pair AirPod case. Not a lot of info out there on this yet...

What do you mean by "reset"? Reset what? How?
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    RockwellJacobsRockwellJacobs Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    I just updated. Issues continue, Siri won't connect after "double-tap".  iPhone 7 plus with five "Tiles" connected and an Apple Watch. When I disable the "Tile" app altogether the AirPods seem to work properly. It's obvious the phone can't handle multiple Bluetooth connections. The bluetooth bug continues. 
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Have tried all fixes on this thread (except reset) and still cannot get About AirPods window to show up.