Huawei hires 'I'm a Mac' pitchman to take on Apple in US ad blitz

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    So... it's just another Android phone?  From the ad (not AD) I can't even tell what OS it's running.  What's the Alexa connection?  It's that Amazon's thing?  Confusing.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 42 of 72
    avon b7 said:
    I wouldn't touch a Huawei phone with your hands, even if it ran iOS.
    When you factor in bang for buck, Huawei make some superb phones. They are now creeping into the high end market.  They were first with force touch on a phone, had dual lens before Apple and innovating with gestures on the fingerprint scanners (which have been consistently faster than Apple's and extremely accurate to boot). Their Android personalisation layer is different to other classic Android approaches but not too far from iOS at first glance.

Design wise they have put a lot of effort into turning heads. Hold a Mate S in your hand and you understand with people call the latest Apple offerings 'boring'.

Much more importantly, and this is key, smartphones have already reached the 'good enough' zone. There are millions of people willing to come down from the top tier to something that is more than capable but not bleeding edge. When you enter that group, design is still important and that is where you find Huawei waiting for you (or the Honor sub brand). Aggressive pricing doesn't give you the same margins as Apple but that isn't the point. If you are taking people from the top tier, albeit with reduced margins, you are doing more damage to the manufacturers in that band by making them lose the sale. Obviously Huawei is digging it's teeth into the Android high end market after having taken the middle ground by storm but it is getting ever closer to Apple users too. However, the US has been off limits so far. It has done spectacularly well in Europe and China but they have their sights on the US you can be sure.
    Has nothing to do with price or build quality and everything to do with Huawei's trustworthiness as a company.  I can't expound much more than that, but from a security perspective, I would not buy Huawei for any price.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So... it's just another Android phone?  From the ad (not AD) I can't even tell what OS it's running.  What's the Alexa connection?  It's that Amazon's thing?  Confusing.
    Yup. they're using Alexa as the voice assistant.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    The Alexa connection is Amazon. Mentions it at the end of the AD :-) I like Alexa. Seems a lot more responsive than Siri, although am sure Apple have big things planned for Siri in the future.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Remember when Xiaomi was supposed to be the iphone killer? Yyyeahhh... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    yellolion said:
    I think the AD is great. Why do a lot of Apple fans on here feel the ned to constantly bash everything that isn't Apple??? No not a troll - use a ton of Apple stuff and still able to have an open mind about other brands. Think the AD is innovative and good luck to them :-)
    What does Active Directory have to do with this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    When you factor in bang for buck, Huawei make some superb phones. They are now creeping into the high end market.  They were first with force touch on a phone, had dual lens before Apple and innovating with gestures on the fingerprint scanners (which have been consistently faster than Apple's and extremely accurate to boot). Their Android personalisation layer is different to other classic Android approaches but not too far from iOS at first glance.

Design wise they have put a lot of effort into turning heads. Hold a Mate S in your hand and you understand with people call the latest Apple offerings 'boring'.

Much more importantly, and this is key, smartphones have already reached the 'good enough' zone. There are millions of people willing to come down from the top tier to something that is more than capable but not bleeding edge. When you enter that group, design is still important and that is where you find Huawei waiting for you (or the Honor sub brand). Aggressive pricing doesn't give you the same margins as Apple but that isn't the point. If you are taking people from the top tier, albeit with reduced margins, you are doing more damage to the manufacturers in that band by making them lose the sale. Obviously Huawei is digging it's teeth into the Android high end market after having taken the middle ground by storm but it is getting ever closer to Apple users too. However, the US has been off limits so far. It has done spectacularly well in Europe and China but they have their sights on the US you can be sure.
    Yup, and Apple will be so scared they'll start making phones that are six inches thick and come with a parallel port as standard. 
    With 240 billion dollars in the bank you could produce a phone like that and run with it for quite a while.

'Concerned' would be a better word. Apple makes the hardware and the software. Huawei makes phones and network backbone equipment those phones connect to. When they connect, some say that Huawei phones perform better than competitors. Hard to tell if there's any truth in that but it does seem feasible.

Now look at phone evolution. Touchscreens. Large format. Identification sensors. Speed. Capacity. Noise cancellation. Quality cameras etc. Is there much more that users really need and don't realise just yet from a hardware perspective?

We're not talking about headphone jacks, the lack of them or home buttons or not or the strength of the glass, weatherproofing etc.

I think we've pretty much hit the comfort zone for the vast majority of users until 5G arrives.

The only revolutionary hardware area that I can think of would be some way to improve viewing the screens in very bright sunlight. Some kind of hardware in sunglasses for example or some radical improvement in battery technology.

As for the rest, we have the system, interoperability and design as the new differentiating factors.

That complicates things quite a bit. Apple doesn't want to be in the quagmire of the low-end or the middle ground. As even the most basic phones will end up with decent specs, the onus will be on those differentiating factors. Interoperability means having something to operate with. I wonder how many of the new first time purchasers of those Macs this last quarter, plan to buy iPhones or if they already had iPhones and got a Mac as a result. iOS still needs a lot of work (as does Android) and design is a question of taste although the lack of change in the iPhone has made it seem a little stale.

The exact same thing that is happening with the iPad right now could potentially happen with the iPhone but to a lesser degree as I can't see the company's star earner missing a refresh.

The iPhone 8 clearly represents an opportunity to move forward on a change in design and internal architecture, but its ultimate success or failure will possibly depend on how they set pricing. There are rumours swirling around on a hefty price tag for the next major update.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 48 of 72
    flaneur said:
    avon b7 said:

Yes, as they say, there's no accounting for bad taste.
    Interesting, seeing that the Mate S was praised virtually everywhere for its design. There is no accounting for taste, true, but if you think the design of that model was ugly, I think you will be in the minority.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    avon b7 said:

Has nothing to do with price or build quality and everything to do with Huawei's trustworthiness as a company.  I can't expound much more than that, but from a security perspective, I would not buy Huawei for any price.
    Pretty sure that's why the US government has stepped in to thwart some prospective deals with US carriers going through. They don't like the idea of Huawei tech pumping data around and possibly interfering with it in some way. Not sure if it is just paranoia though. What I'm sure of is that Trump will be on any such future moves to make sure they are stopped.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    avon b7 said:

Maybe in China but not in the States dude.
    We are iPhone country in the States because we love Apple's services.

Huawei is not know here so most people on a budget would likely buy a Google phone over Huawei.
    True on the iPhone country but that's why Huawei wants to get into the market. Strange decision for various reasons but they clearly want to make themselves visible. Huawei Is the lead brand of the company but they also have a sub brand called Honor which is also making a name for itself.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Pretty sure that's why the US government has stepped in to thwart some prospective deals with US carriers going through. They don't like the idea of Huawei tech pumping data around and possibly interfering with it in some way. Not sure if it is just paranoia though. What I'm sure of is that Trump will be on any such future moves to make sure they are stopped.
    It's not just them being paranoid.  They had very good reason.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 72
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

This is absolutely 100% FALSE.

Show me a single line of proof that shows former iPhone users are willing to buy a Huawei phone because its 'good enough'. Total and UTTER BULLSHIT.  New Huawei customers are former Samsung customers or feature phone users. iPhone has a retention rate in the 90%+ and Cook just announced they had the most Android switchers to iPhone in company history.

Huawei, like all the other fake iPhone killers is capturing the low market. Samsung. Xiaomi, Now Huawei. All fake contenders who eventually get exposed for being copycats of Apple and nothing more.
    Re-read what I wrote. Pause for thought before replying. 

I clearly stated that Huawei was digging its teeth into the high end Android market. I clearly stated that the US was currently hard to crack due to political reasons.

Huawei will tempt iPhone users. That is the aim for the future. As for switchers, you are replying to one. As for the phones they produce, you clearly have never used one of their recent models. There is a clear reason for that.

You call them 'fake iPhone killers' and ask for 'proof'. Well this 'iPhone killer' beat Apple to force touch on a phone, has better, more flexible fingerprint scanners, also designs its own processors and had dual lens before Apple etc.

Processors aren't in the Apple class but that is exactly the point. This year was 'good enough' year. Huawei is pressing hard in Europe and I think it's overtaken Apple in some markets. 

The huge drawback with regards the US and Huawei's is network infrastructure. Typically it will get carriers to install its infrastructure for delivery and then discount it's phones to the carriers as a reward. Carriers then push Huawei phones to users offering discount that undercut rivals. That situation will not last forever.

Getting people to switch is obviously part of the plan when it eventually comes to competing with Apple but, as I said, switchingis involved and is less and less painful as we move into the cloud.
    I did read your reply.

Again show me proof in ANY COUNTRY in the ENTIRE WORLD where former iPhone buyers are buying Huawei instead. Show me.  There is ZERO PROOF. Absolutely nothing. 

Huawei buyers are former Samsung buyers or people who are upgrading from feature phones.

Just because Huawei did something first means jackshit. First to have force touch? Sure. After reading Apple rumors. Same with dual lens. But their execution of those features have been pure shit compared to Apple. Anyone can read some Apple rumors and bring out a feature before the new iPhone comes out. Samdung and Xiaomi has been doing this for YEARS. And guess what? They still can't hold a candle to Apple.
    Then you will have to read it a third time. Why are you demanding something that cannot even be proved? Not that what you are demanding even has much to do with what I wrote.

As for moving from an iPhone to Huawei, well you have me sitting right here and I'm not alone. I cannot go anywhere without seeing Huawei phones on billboards, in shops and in the hands of users everywhere. Sitting right up there with Samsung and Apple. Carriers constantly offer deals on Huawei phones from all ranges and people are happy with them. Very happy.

Can I speculate that you have never even seen a high end Huawei in person, much less used one. They basically have no real presence in North America. I knew it was in their plans but didn't expect a push without their networking technology in place first. Perhaps that is about to change.

And where did you get the idea that their dual lens implementation was shitty?

I can guarantee you that their fingerprint scanner implementation runs rings around Apple's. To the point that Google has rolled some of it into the next Android.

And comparing Xiaomi to Huawei Is like comparing Big Foot to a lemur.

Huawei Is a monster with muscle and it's been quietly flexing it's mobile muscle for a couple of years now with huge success.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I wondered what had happened to that fella. 
    From 1999 through 2016, Justin Long has 83 film/TV credits.  This guy had and has plenty of work. 

And as far as those complaining that he somehow is a traitor to Apple, if Apple's agency wanted an exclusive (and the same goes for the "Can you hear me now" guy), they could have made them sign non-compete contracts and paid for the privilege.   If they don't have non-competes or they did but they expired, any work they can get is fair game.

• Reply 54 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    avon b7 said:

"First with force touch"

yeah, AFTER they heard of the Apple Watch feauture being implemented into iPhone.
    Apple pulled a slick one and released 3D Touch instead. 
  • Reply 55 of 72
    zoetmb said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I wondered what had happened to that fella. 
    From 1999 through 2016, Justin Long has 83 film/TV credits.  This guy had and has plenty of work. 

And as far as those complaining that he somehow is a traitor to Apple, if Apple's agency wanted an exclusive (and the same goes for the "Can you hear me now" guy), they could have made them sign non-compete contracts and paid for the privilege.   If they don't have non-competes or they did but they expired, any work they can get is fair game.

Non-compete agreements are not enforceable in California.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    avon b7 said:
    flaneur said:
    avon b7 said:

Interesting, seeing that the Mate S was praised virtually everywhere for its design. There is no accounting for taste, true, but if you think the design of that model was ugly, I think you will be in the minority.
    I said "bad" taste. People like you who see the iPhone as "stale" or "boring" and who find irrational designs like Huawei's close or even acceptable by comparison are seriously lacking in discriminatory powers.

The jet black iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are the most beautiful consumer objects ever made.

• Reply 57 of 72
    yellolion said:
    ireland said:
    The ad itself is worse than what I could make myself having never have made an ad.

"Fireworks, is that supposed to be...". Yes, it is probably stolen directly from Messages full screen animation.
    I can believe you have never made an AD from your comments. Make an AD then for $80 budget and lets compare your AD to the Huawei :-) No? Don't want to? Thought that might be the case :-D

Wait, so how do you make an Assistant Director (AD)? Or do you mean "ad"?
    Wait, so the whole ad cost $80 only? Justin Long must really be on skid row.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 58 of 72
    cali said:
    avon b7 said:

"First with force touch"

yeah, AFTER they heard of the Apple Watch feauture being implemented into iPhone.
    The original comment was replying to someone who implied that Huawei wasn't delivering on technology and was far behind Apple. Force Touch was just a reference inside a bigger group of references.

Are you implying that Huawei somehow got wind of Apple's plans and in some way managed to design and engineer it into a phone before Apple? Do you really think that is a possibility? Could it not be that various manufacturers were working on force touch implementations at the same time and Huawei got there before Apple?

Would you like to see Apple implement a fingerprint scanner like Huawei's? If they did I wouldn't be criticising them as you are criticising Huawei. Should I criticise Apple for stubbornly ignoring what users wanted when it came to large screens? You bet, because you are no bigger than your users and the iPhone 7 plus has just saved Apple's proverbial bacon. Do I say they are copying Samsung and Huawei because they released a large screen phone. No.

I criticise Samsung for blatantly ripping off the iPhone but this is about Huawei and their mobile division. They have done some amazing work and have put their successes quickly into mid tier phones at amazing prices. Difficult to fault at the moment.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    flaneur said:
    avon b7 said:
    flaneur said:
    avon b7 said:

I said "bad" taste. People like you who see the iPhone as "stale" or "boring" and who find irrational designs like Huawei's close or even acceptable by comparison are seriously lacking in discriminatory powers.

The jet black iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are the most beautiful consumer objects ever made.

flaneur said:
    avon b7 said:
    flaneur said:
    avon b7 said:

Irrational?

What exactly do you consider is irrational about the design of the Mate S?

I will tell you that the iPhone 6 is without a shadow of a doubt the most 'slippery' phone I have ever handled. Every single time I pick one up I think I'm going to drop it. Is that rational design?

The rear placement of the fingerprint scanner on the Mate S and other Huawei phones is something I would be hard pressed to live without. It feels so natural. The fact that the scanner is lightning fast and accurate, accepts multiple prints and that some prints can be used to give guest access to the phone AND accepts gestures are obvious bonuses.

The back is slightly curved, all metal and the amoled screen also has the slightest curvature for better handling. The sides also have the slightest of textures to improve grip. All subtle. Nothing agressive or imposing.

Slide your finger along the bottom of the screen and it reduces the on-screen screen size for better one handed use.

The iPhone design is not iconic. That means the design itself can age, go stale and become boring for some. If only because it's seen too often. That isn't a criticism of the design itself, it's just overstayed its welcome. The same is happening with the Samsung edge phones.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 60 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cali said:
    avon b7 said:

"First with force touch"

I don't think designing a phone can be done in 6 months. Going by what I've read our smartphones require 12-18 months design time. If that's accurate Huawei would have needed to know about the Apple feature at least a year and a half before Apple introduced it. I think there's somewhat less copying than we might assume, but with engineers moving around between companies the knowledge of what's possible, how one piece of tech enables another, gets distributed and shared. Some companies are intrigued and work on it while others might not find it useful or can't afford to invest in it.
    edited February 2017