Subaru adds Apple CarPlay support to upcoming 2018 Legacy

Posted:
in iPhone
Ahead of next week's Chicago Auto Show, Subaru on Thursday announced the 2018 Legacy, just its second vehicle to support Apple's CarPlay platform, which brings Siri and iOS apps to dash interfaces.

The new sedan will ship sometime this summer, and like many recent vehicles also offer support for Google's Android Auto, Subaru said. People will have to connect through Subaru's Starlink infotainment system.

By default the car will come with a 6.5-inch Starlink display. An available upgrade, however, will include not just an 8-inch screen but a faster CPU, which Subaru said should shrink boot times and give the Starlink interface a "more smartphone-like operation and feel."

For people who can't or don't want to use CarPlay, Starlink will also support Bluetooth connections and native iPod control.

Subaru has yet to announce pricing for the 2018 Legacy, or its upgrade options. It's also not clear whether the company will support wireless CarPlay, something that's still extremely rare.

To date the automaker's only vehicle with CarPlay has been the 2017 Impreza. That puts it well behind most rivals, particularly firms like Kia and Chevrolet, which now have compatible models reaching into the dozens.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Good for future Subaru legacy customers but what about forester model ? And oh! there was good news about Toyota auto sales were down. Hope, their 2017 sales go down more to make them realize the cost of not supporting carPlay is lot higher than their ignorance, arrogance..
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    2018 car shipping in 2017? Ah you wacky Americans  ;)

I understand it has something to do with Super Bowl. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    hentaiboy said:

Ehhhh... you do get that Subaru is a Japanese car company, Yes?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    indyfx said:
    hentaiboy said:

Indeed. And in the rest of the world the 2018 Legacy will be shipped in...2018
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    hentaiboy said:

That has nothing to do with the Super Bowl. The reason next years model cars come out 4 months early (in the fall typically) is due to vehicle production. Manufacturing plants in the USA typically re-tool their assembly line in July/August for next years model. That's why you will see 2018 models coming out in the fall. The reason American auto manufacturers started releasing next years models in the fall is due to farmers. This started before WW2 and after the war, auto manufacturers agreed that October 1st  would be the official start of the new model season. 
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 6 of 12
    indyfx said:
    hentaiboy said:

It is but they are built in the USA. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    About time. Now I want to know when they will offer a retrofit kit or capability for older Legacys. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    rob53 said:
    About time. Now I want to know when they will offer a retrofit kit or capability for older Legacys. 
    And recent Foresters! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    rob53 said:
    Subaru wouldn't offer anything like that. An aftermarket kit would probably run around $2k. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    indyfx said:
    hentaiboy said:

It is but they are built in the USA. 
    Only the Impreza AFAIK
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    No Outback? I rarely see Legacys on the road here in Austin, only Outbacks and the Crosstrek.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    i have a 2016 subaru crosstrek that doesn't do carplay. the tech at the dealer say its hardware can't handle it so a retro update is very unlikely. perhaps next year's, sigh. glad to be leasing in this case.