Google adds QR code scanner to 3D Touch menu in iOS Chrome 56 update

Posted:
in iPhone
The latest update to the Chrome browser on iOS is providing iPhone users with the ability to scan and search QR codes using 3D Touch, while those browsing on the iPad will benefit from a redesigned tab switcher.

Triggering the 3D Touch menu from the Chrome Home Screen icon on an iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 presents the option to "Scan QR Code" with the browser. The same function can also be brought up on the iPad and older iPhones that do not have 3D Touch support, accessible by searching for "QR" in iOS Spotlight.

When invoked, Chrome uses the rear camera of the iPhone, showing a highlighted square in the middle of the frame that the user should line up the QR code within. The same function can be used for scanning barcodes on product packaging, which can then be used to search for the item online.

QR codes are being used more as a form of marketing, with advertisements displaying the square barcode as a means to take potential customers to promotional websites on their mobile devices. While there are QR and barcode scanning apps available, the addition of the function to Chrome itself potentially shortens the number of steps needed to use the information embedded within the QR code.

On iPad, the Chrome tab switcher is brought up by a collection of four squares in the top right corner of the screen. The switcher shows all the currently open tabs within the iPad browser, including Incognito Tabs, as well as displaying tabs recently viewed on other devices associated with the currently-used Google account.

Future updates for the iPhone and iPad browser are likely to arrive at a faster pace, as Google recently made the iOS app open source and incorporated it into the Chromium project. Code for the iOS app is now in the open-source repository, allowing anyone to download and compile it for themselves, while testing app update submissions will be automated whenever new code is checked in, further speeding up development.

The updates to the iOS app arrive a few days after Chrome 56 was released for macOS. The latest version of the desktop browser is claimed to process page reloads 28 percent faster, enables HTML5 by default, warns users if they are not using HTTPS on a site when dealing with sensitive data, and includes built-in FLAC support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    What a terrible, intrusive thing to do. Just a cheap Google trick to give Chrome access to your camera! And once they've got it, they won't let it go, even if you think you've switched off the option. My God is there no depth that Google won't…

Just a bit of early evening Gator-baiting. :-)

Actually it's a very good idea. Makes a lot of sense to put a QR reader in the browser. 
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    An old tumblr, but a good one: Pictures of people scanning QR codes
  • Reply 3 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    stompy said:
    No pictures load for me.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    stompy said:
    Makes me curious, but an empty website...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    stompy said:
    No pictures load for me.
    Sorry, I should have put  ;) at the end of that post. Whoever created that tumblr did so as a joke, never intending to post any photos.

Someone's take on, "The trouble with _________ is that when you get therethere isn't any there there."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I'd love to see some data on real-world QR code use.  I think I use it once every few years.  Are they popular other countries or something?  In my experience it was a short-lived fad that (for some reason) refuses to die.
    lito_lupenawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I find the various codes useful every so often if I'm wanting to search for a product I'm holding and don't feel like tapping anything in.

But yeah, not an impressive feature in general.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I find the various codes useful every so often if I'm wanting to search for a product I'm holding and don't feel like tapping anything in.

Right, but that's not a QR code.  UPS scanning is cool.  Printing QR codes on random things hoping that people will scan then seems like a waste of time.  But what do I know.  Perhaps people in other countries love QR codes.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'd love to see some data on real-world QR code use.  I think I use it once every few years.  Are they popular other countries or something?  In my experience it was a short-lived fad that (for some reason) refuses to die.
    Now you mention it, I've never used it.

Someone must be. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Right, but that's not a QR code.  UPS scanning is cool.  Printing QR codes on random things hoping that people will scan then seems like a waste of time.  But what do I know.  Perhaps people in other countries love QR codes.
    It also scans those UPC :wink:  barcodes, so it reads the one you think is cool. Seems useful even if the QR part isn't for some.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Google own all of you regardless of this additional attempt to gather more aspects of your life. Do what I do; No Facebook, No Twitter, No Google (anything), No Instagram. I'm not registered with any Social Media corporation. They are hideously invasive.

There is nothing I'd allow to access my lifestyle.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Google own all of you regardless of this additional attempt to gather more aspects of your life. Do what I do; No Facebook, No Twitter, No Google (anything), No Instagram. I'm not registered with any Social Media corporation. They are hideously invasive.

There is nothing I'd allow to access my lifestyle.

👻