Conflicting statistics still put Apple's iPad at top of tablet market in Dec. quarter

Posted:
in iPad
While differing on some key figures, global tablet industry statistics published on Thursday suggest that the Apple's iPad still has a firm lead as the most popular option, even if the company and the industry as a whole are losing sales.

Apple's 13.1 million shipments gave it a 24.7 percent marketshare according to IDC data, and a 20.6 percent share according to Strategy Analytics. The difference stems from estimates for Lenovo, Huawei, and others, but particularly Amazon, since while Strategy Analytics claimed 3.4 million units for the Fire maker, IDC estimated 5.2 million.

As a consequence the two firms also disagree on how much the industry shrank. While Strategy Analytics calculated a 9 percent decline year-over-year to 63.5 million units, IDC suggested a 20.1 percent drop to 52.9 million.

The latter firm estimated that 9 out of 10 iPads sold in the quarter were cheaper models like the Air 2 or the Mini 4, and not Pros. Similarly, Strategy Analytics commented that average selling prices (ASPs) dipped 4 percent to $423, reflecting the pull of less expensive models.

A 9.7-inch iPad Pro starts at $599, while a 12.9-inch model is at least $799. Conversely an iPad Air 2 can be had for as little as $399, and the most budget-conscious can pick up an iPad mini 2 for $269.

Apple didn't release any new iPads last fall, and is instead thought to be saving updates for later this year. Three models are likely to be on offer: updated 9.7- and 12.9-inch tablets, plus a new 10.5-inch device, which could have a sharper screen. The 9.7-inch product could have "budget" specifications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Conflicting statistics put iPad at top"

Why wouldn't it be??

honestly %20 market share is still too low. Apple should market and develop the iPad more aggressively. %70 is where it should be. I want it to be ubiquitous like iPod. I hear the word "tablet" too often. During the iPod days you hardly heard the word "MP3 player". 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    cali said:

Why wouldn't it be??

honestly %20 market share is still too low. Apple should market and develop the iPad more aggressively. %70 is where it should be. I want it to be ubiquitous like iPod. I hear the word "tablet" too often. During the iPod days you hardly heard the word "MP3 player". 
    Generally you should just remove that "other" or "white box" label from the equation. They are worthless *if* they are actually tablets. Most pirated movie sticks that are sold register as Android tablets even through they plug into a TV via HDMI.  They also include devices too lower powered to do much else other than be sold at Walmart and corner markets in Bangladesh.

The the reason numbers to focus on are, Apple, Samsung and Amazon.  Then there are some others yes... but those are the main ones to keep your eye on.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    A data point for the #1 consumer market & most valuable market, USA.  iPad had 85% share of tablets sold for over $200 in Apples Q1'17.  That is iPod like dominance.  And this is without an update.

The devices sold under $200, like the Fire, are e-reader/video/toy devices with a screen.  They are not even close to "tablet computers".  
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    cali said:

Why wouldn't it be??

You do realize the only real number in the chart is Apple's number the others are made up. The other companies do not report number in a way which you can challenge them. Apple is one of two US publicly traded companies in the list legally bound by any numbers they report. The other make no statements about their actually numbers. These research companies do some surveys of market channels to come up with the numbers so they a guess at best.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Apple Doomed Inc

#1 Tablet in the world
    #1 Smartphone in the world
    #1 Laptop in the world
    #1 All in one PC in the world
    #1 Smartwatch
    #1 App Store
    #1 True wireless headphones
    #1 Headphone brand (Beats)
    #1 in total music revenue (streaming + downloads)
    #1 in subscriptions ( over 150,000,000)
    #1 market cap
    #1 Cash balance $250 billion
    #1 Profits $50 billion a year

but still doomed.
    America loves a winner and hates a loser... until the winner actually wins. Then it’s time to knock that winner off the platform. The very points you make are why there so many Apple critics, haters, naysayers, doomsayers, etc. out there. They want Apple to fail so badly they literally make stuff up or spin positives into negatives. The Verge went on a rampage to point out that Apple’s last quarter had 14 weeks of sales when 13 weeks is the norm. Therefore Apple actually failed Q1 expectations and is indeed doomed. The Street website is recommending people immediately sell all their AAPL positions and predicts a 40% drop any day now. See what I mean?
    edited February 2017 neil andersonwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 6 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
     The Verge went on a rampage to point out that Apple’s last quarter had 14 weeks of sales when 13 weeks is the norm. Therefore Apple actually failed Q1 expectations and is indeed doomed. The Street website is recommending people immediately sell all their AAPL positions and predicts a 40% drop any day now. See what I mean?
    It's an observation of a fact that the Quarter had 14 instead of 13 weeks.   And its true that the iPhone did not grow by the 7.7 percentage needed to be consistent with last year.   Only Services really out did it although the mac was pretty close.      While it may be 5 years for another quarter like this to come around, Apple should still consistently with the AirPods out and TouchBar development done.   We should see lots more updated products this year - hopefully iPads and Pros.   The real question is how many new customers came to the iPhone and iOS from Android because they will add to services in the future.    How many people switched from the Note7?
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    k2kw said:
    lkrupp said:
     The Verge went on a rampage to point out that Apple’s last quarter had 14 weeks of sales when 13 weeks is the norm. Therefore Apple actually failed Q1 expectations and is indeed doomed. The Street website is recommending people immediately sell all their AAPL positions and predicts a 40% drop any day now. See what I mean?
    It's an observation of a fact that the Quarter had 14 instead of 13 weeks.   And its true that the iPhone did not grow by the 7.7 percentage needed to be consistent with last year.   Only Services really out did it although the mac was pretty close.      While it may be 5 years for another quarter like this to come around, Apple should still consistently with the AirPods out and TouchBar development done.   We should see lots more updated products this year - hopefully iPads and Pros.   The real question is how many new customers came to the iPhone and iOS from Android because they will add to services in the future.    How many people switched from the Note7?
    Pretty sure the length of the quarter was known when Apple and analysts set their targets. 

Pretty sure in a holiday quarter, an extra week (which is accumulated at the beginning) doesn't translate to a straight 1/13 more of all sales, given many products are purchased at specific times like Black Friday, and as planned gifts. 

But hey, whatever makes you feel smart. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    usage figures are what I think people need to focus on. We haven't bought a new iPad in years because they still run like new, and are used daily. This chrismas just past I picked up an amazon fire tablet and paid the grand total of £3 for it after discounts and vouchers. An impulse buy because it was so cheap - I took it out the box, downloaded a few apps, meh. It's been sat in the bedside drawer ever since, unused.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    Apple Doomed Inc

#1 Tablet in the world
    #1 Smartphone in the world
    #1 Laptop in the world
    #1 All in one PC in the world
    #1 Smartwatch
    #1 App Store
    #1 True wireless headphones
    #1 Headphone brand (Beats)
    #1 in total music revenue (streaming + downloads)
    #1 in subscriptions ( over 150,000,000)
    #1 market cap
    #1 Cash balance $250 billion
    #1 Profits $50 billion a year

but still doomed.
    America loves a winner and hates a loser... until the winner actually wins. Then it’s time to knock that winner off the platform. The very points you make are why there so many Apple critics, haters, naysayers, doomsayers, etc. out there. They want Apple to fail so badly they literally make stuff up or spin positives into negatives. The Verge went on a rampage to point out that Apple’s last quarter had 14 weeks of sales when 13 weeks is the norm. Therefore Apple actually failed Q1 expectations and is indeed doomed. The Street website is recommending people immediately sell all their AAPL positions and predicts a 40% drop any day now. See what I mean?
    Your first part is of course quite true in US culture, and we have seen it with many companies, sports and celebrity figures over the past.  Maybe just me, but with Apple it seems to be x100 in intensity.  Literally every day dozens of new pieces are published which are negative (concern for the future, overseas manufacturing, no innovation, creating perceived user angst, etc) - it is rare outside of a few bloggers to find much which is positive at all.  I often wonder why that is.

That said, when it comes to business & media, these people are only deluding & hurting themselves.  Does the competition read these pieces, or industry reports that do everything possible to make it look like Apple is failing, and think "well, Apple is going to go downhill so we should be good.."?  Do analysts or media pundits who make all of the wrong predictions ever wonder if being wrong is really helping their career?  The only way you can win in a market is to understand the problem - and those who twist themselves in knots trying to make Apple seem like they are fading or irrelevant are simply ensuring they don't succeed.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    brucemc said:
    k2kw said:
    lkrupp said:
    Pretty sure the length of the quarter was known when Apple and analysts set their targets. 

Pretty sure in a holiday quarter, an extra week (which is accumulated at the beginning) doesn't translate to a straight 1/13 more of all sales, given many products are purchased at specific times like Black Friday, and as planned gifts. 

But hey, whatever makes you feel smart. 
    If the extra week is at the beginning, then that would translate to extra sales of the iPhone 7 when it launched and not an extra week of sales after Christmas by which time all people have already purchased their phones and probably most gifts like watches.    But you do have a good point about non-uniformity of sales during this period, If an extra week would normally be 7.7% maybe an extra week at this time would only bring in 3%-4% extra revenue which as about where they came in overall.    So I would say they were consistent with last year just not really outperforming it.    The impressive thing is how revenue's from services have really taken off.    And as many have said that will continue to grow.   I will be really impressed when Apple manages to grow all of its product lines consistently i.e. iPad sales don't tank.