Apple CEO Tim Cook wins Newseum's Free Expression Award for tech & social contributions

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Thursday the Newseum -- a museum and advocacy group based in Washington, D.C. -- named Apple CEO Tim Cook the winner of its 2017 Free Expression Award in the Free Speech category, praising the executive for his company's communications technology as well as his stances on social and political issues.

People who win the award "have taken personal or professional risks in sharing critical information with the public, have been censored or punished by authorities or other groups for their work, or have pushed boundaries in artistic and media expression," the Newseum said in its announcement.

An awards event is scheduled for Apr. 18, which Cook will attend.

The museum specifically highlighted the executive's stances on "racial equality, privacy, protecting the environment, access to education and LGBT rights." Cook himself is gay, and has regularly spoken out about LGBT issues, such as a North Carolina law harming LGBT rights.

The CEO is perhaps best known for his positions on privacy, having famously refused to help the FBI write a backdoor into iOS, which it wanted to access data on the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook. The Department of Justice withdrew legal action after the data was successfully extracted without Apple's help.

Some other notable winners this year include U.S. Represenative John Lewis, who will pick up a Lifetime Achievement Award, and Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, who is getting an Arts and Entertainment Award shared with Hatch Beauty chairman Christie Hefner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    Excellent job Mr Cook. you deserve this award.

I'd also like to give him the award for product of the year: Airpods

And yet, for the past year you have shat on Cook in vitriolic fashion in every SINGLE thread concerning him, whether its social causes or anything else. You've probably stated no less than 5,000 that he should quit Apple and go into "politics" or "activism" if he cares about those things, and that he's not fit to be CEO.  But now that stock price is up, it's all rainbows and unicorns again, and Cook is awesome, right? Are you gonna apologize for all your previous Cook shit-posting? You're like a bot that vomits out words and conclusions based only on Apple stock price, and absolutely nothing else. 

The next time the stock drops $2, you'll be back to ranting and raving about how Cook isn't fit to clean toilets. You're a fucking joke, and probably the worst troll on this forum. 
    edited February 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I guess based on that criteria, Milo Yiannopolous should be similarly recognized? (Not that I endorse what Yiannopolous says, but because of his willingness to test the limits of freedom of speech, perhaps he should be singled out...).
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 3 of 14
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I guess based on that criteria, Milo Yiannopolous should be similarly recognized? (Not that I endorse what Yiannopolous says, but because of his willingness to test the limits of freedom of speech, perhaps he should be singled out...).
    No.
    crowleyStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 14
    blastdoor said:
    No.
    The award is for "Free Expression" in a "Free Speech" category. If we, as Americans, fail to protect offensive speech, then "freedom of speech" is a meaningless phrase.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    blastdoor said:
    No.
    The award is for "Free Expression" in a "Free Speech" category. If we, as Americans, fail to protect offensive speech, then "freedom of speech" is a meaningless phrase.
    Don't get all smarmy about "we Americans," free speech and Milo vs. Berkeley students. 

Tim Cook is genuinely interested in individual rights and freedoms.

The Berkeley students are way ahead of you, unless maybe you're dissembling, in recognizing that the misogynist Milo is on a vicious college tour to provoke decent people into trying to deny him a platform for his subhuman treachery. It falls into the category of yelling fire in a theater. He's deliberately inciting revulsion. 

Doesn't excuse the violence, but he's provoking it.

Edit: Of course, how could I miss it, the violence was paid for and staged by whoever's behind this tour, no doubt Breibart, Bannon, etc. Those weren't Berkeley students.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sog35 said:
    Excellent job Mr Cook...
    I like the new positive SOG35. I don't know if it's God or AAPL, but something turned your perspective!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    Excellent job Mr Cook. you deserve this award.

I'd also like to give him the award for product of the year: Airpods

And yet, for the past year you have shat on Cook in vitriolic fashion in every SINGLE thread concerning him, whether its social causes or anything else. You've probably stated no less than 5,000 that he should quit Apple and go into "politics" or "activism" if he cares about those things, and that he's not fit to be CEO.  But now that stock price is up, it's all rainbows and unicorns again, and Cook is awesome, right? Are you gonna apologize for all your previous Cook shit-posting? You're like a bot that vomits out words and conclusions based only on Apple stock price, and absolutely nothing else. 

The next time the stock drops $2, you'll be back to ranting and raving about how Cook isn't fit to clean toilets. You're a fucking joke, and probably the worst troll on this forum. 

sog35 said:
    Excellent job Mr Cook...
    I like the new positive SOG35. I don't know if it's God or AAPL, but something turned your perspective!

The single biggest advantage of the AirPods has been the fact that it calmed Sog down!

Sog and his AirPods!

• Reply 8 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Excellent job Mr Cook...
    Don't expect it to last. He'll be screaming at the next stock drop, and asking why Tim Cook doesn't do the obvious thing and buy *insert random company name here*
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 14
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    blastdoor said:
    No.
    Rewarding an asshole for being an asshole is NOT the same thing as "failing to protect free speech."
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 14
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    No.
    Rewarding an asshole for being an asshole is NOT the same thing as "failing to protect free speech."
    Not to continue to draw this somewhat tributary discussion further, but you're not in the least bit concerned that a well-known author and media figure (who previously spoke at the same venue in Berkeley without incident, mind you) should be shadowed by violent anti-free speech radicals who brought explosives onto the campus, assaulted bystanders and damaged property, in addition to violating another American's constitutionally protected rights?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    blastdoor said:
    No.
    Well said.

What a pointlessly provocative move to bring Milo into the conversation.  Enabling free speech is good, and is why Tim Cook is recognised.  Exploiting it to be a hateful provocateur is not, and is why Milo is shouted down.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    blastdoor said:
    No.
    Is Milo not free to found his own social network or publishing system and speak his mind? Print newsletters, etc? Is the government going to silence him? Yes he's free to do so, and no the government won't silence him. Freedom of speech is alive and well.

He is not however entitled to use products and platforms owned by others and do whatever he wants with them. Nor do people on the street have to let him speak if they want to drown his speech out with their own. They aren't the government. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 13 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

sog35 said:
    Excellent job Mr Cook...
    It's all an act, or a mental disorder. When the stock price is lower he goes ballistic. It's absurd. 
    edited February 2017