Shielded LG UltraFine 5K displays headed to Apple stores, fixes done on case-by-case basis...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Thunderbolt 3 LG UltraFine 5K displays boasting enhanced shielding to prevent radio frequency interference disconnects and crashing are working their way to retailers now, and problematic units in the field will be assessed for service and shielding addition on a case by case basis, AppleInsider has learned.

When wide availability of the LG UltraFine 5K displays with the added RF shielding will occur isn't known. However, despite LG claiming that monitors with enhanced shielding will be in the market "after February 2017," AppleInsider has learned through multiple sources that units are being shipped to vendors now, with some venues having them in hand already.

The process for repair or replacement of a troublesome monitor currently in-use is still not yet clear. AppleInsider has also learned that units will be evaluated for shielding retrofit on a case-by-case basis with guidelines for service not yet fully established.

The shielding upgrade will likely be accomplished the same way that LG monitors are serviced now -- by shipping them to a LG repair facility, with a historical down-time of between 4 and 12 business days inclusive of shipping times.

It was discovered that some LG UltraFine 5K displays suffer from frequent disconnects when in close proximity to a Wi-Fi router. The flaw does not affect all of the LG monitors in every environment, with more in-depth testing by AppleInsider continuing.

LG has urged customers that are afflicted by the disconnect problem even after moving Wi-Fi gear 6.6 feet away from the display to contact LG service for assistance.

During the course of AppleInsider's UltraFine 5K review, for example, the evaluation unit was tested in a suburban environment within three feet of two different operating 802.11ac routers, without any problems. The same unit is now being used in a city without close proximity to a Wi-Fi router, and is having connectivity issues manifesting from an unknown source.

The LG UltraFine 5K Display is considered a replacement for Apple's discontinued Thunderbolt Display, offering a 5,120-by-2,880 resolution, a P3 wide color gamut, and the ability to charge a MacBook Pro using the same Thunderbolt 3 cable used for video and data transfer. The monitor is on sale from Apple directly for $974, a discount of 25 percent from the usual $1,299.95 price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Mine is heading back. Had both the connection problems and also terrible backlight bleeding. Apple Customer Service was great and very helpful though, so no complaints in the end. 

Here's an iPhone image showing the severe backlight bleeding I had on mine:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    billrey said:
    Mine is heading back. Had both the connection problems and also terrible backlight bleeding. Apple Customer Service was great and very helpful though, so no complaints in the end. 

Interesting. 

Tell me, what made you take the unusual step of contacting the supplier instead of trying the often more successful method of wailing about it online?

I hope it gets sorted for you, though to be honest, it shouldn't have happened. 

And 'moving it further away from the router' is not a solution. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I think it would be reasonable in light of Apple's discontinuation of its own line of standalone displays to require third parties who wish to sell directly on Apple.com or in the Apple Store to submit their displays either to Apple for electromagnetic interference, susceptibility, and compatibility testing by Apple in their labs - or for Apple to establish EM testing and certification requirements that can be conducted and certified by the display vendor or an independent test lab. These monitors must have undergone required industry and regulatory EM testing but they still exhibited issues in the field that require costly modifications by the display vendor and/or Apple. This leads me to believe that the industry standards are not good enough to meet Apple's high standard for delivering a totally integrated system to its end customers. IMHO, products sold or referenced via Apple.com or in the Apple Store should be held to the highest standards that Apple establishes, even if the Apple standards exceed industry standards. Apple customers have always demonstrated that they are willing to pay for quality and compatibility. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    "...fixes done on case-by-case basis"

Pun intended?
    yojimbo007nubus
  • Reply 5 of 21
    dewme said:
    I think it would be reasonable in light of Apple's discontinuation of its own line of standalone displays to require third parties who wish to sell directly on Apple.com or in the Apple Store to submit their displays either to Apple for electromagnetic interference, susceptibility, and compatibility testing by Apple in their labs - or for Apple to establish EM testing and certification requirements that can be conducted and certified by the display vendor or an independent test lab. These monitors must have undergone required industry and regulatory EM testing but they still exhibited issues in the field that require costly modifications by the display vendor and/or Apple. This leads me to believe that the industry standards are not good enough to meet Apple's high standard for delivering a totally integrated system to its end customers. IMHO, products sold or referenced via Apple.com or in the Apple Store should be held to the highest standards that Apple establishes, even if the Apple standards exceed industry standards. Apple customers have always demonstrated that they are willing to pay for quality and compatibility. 
    Agree 100%. 

If Apple is going to endorse third-party gear then they have to expect a drubbing if that gear isn't up to scratch. 
    nubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    No, Apple shouldnt have to generally product test third party products. That is a recipe for stagnation, delay, lack of availability and higher costs.
    I do agree though that an exception would be products Apple publicly endorses because it couldn't be arsed making its own version. Like this LG display.  
  • Reply 7 of 21
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    This whole Axing of Apple monitors is a massive mistake and shortsightedness. .... And now in light of this shielding problem.... "fix on case by case basis"??? Who is calling theses idiotic shots at apple re displays and ......etc ?
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 8 of 21
    larrya said:
    "...fixes done on case-by-case basis"

Pun intended?
    Lol... Strange in light of them axing the 'case' buisness. ;)
  • Reply 9 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    This whole Axing of Apple monitors is a massive mistake and shortsightedness. .... And now in light of this shielding problem.... "fix on case by case basis"??? Who is calling theses idiotic shots at apple re displays and ......etc ?
    Yes because Apple never had any issues what so ever with their displays.... :rollseyes" They probably sold a whole 5 per month per store. Thats really an incentive to update displays and keep selling them. 
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    entropys said:
    No, Apple shouldnt have to generally product test third party products.
    Any shop selling a product has to support it. Otherwise they shouldn't use their brand to promote it. Apple has to protect the value of its brand.
    The Apple brand value dropped 36% last year and is now #2 after Google (story not covered by AI yet). The monitor problem is a minor glitch but last year Apple only introduced one new product - the AirPods, and they didn't actually ship. Most of 2016 was about no or underwhelming updates, price hikes, tax legislation, lost battles against consumers, removal of the battery time indicator, and axing of network and monitor products. No wonder Mac sales are flatlining with 50% not going to existing users.

Apple both could and should have vetted this.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member

macxpress said:
    Yes because Apple never had any issues what so ever with their displays.... :rollseyes" They probably sold a whole 5 per month per store. Thats really an incentive to update displays and keep selling them. 
     In 2012 Apple held nearly 30% of the market. By not updating since 2011 all business was lost. Same goes for Mac Pro. Now Apple can say "there is no Pro market" but surely there is a market - but not one for 6 year old monitors. 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    nubus said:

macxpress said:
     In 2012 Apple held nearly 30% of the market. By not updating since 2011 all business was lost. Same goes for Mac Pro. Now Apple can say "there is no Pro market" but surely there is a market - but not one for 6 year old monitors. 
    There's also much more competition today than there was back then. Apple also has bigger fish to fry than a niche "Pro" market. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    macxpress said:
    Its not all about profits .... its about having exposure.. its about having Apple themed, coordinated work stations that look good and function good... .. not an uncoordinated mish mash of things.... Imagine a desk(work station ) with an iMac, macbooks...then this ugly black display .. then all the clutter that has been transfered from their devices to our desktops with dongles and external devices ... That is not the Apple i knew... not the Apple Steve invisioned... and not why we pay a premium for Apple products. Apple products don't just exist in Isolation or showroom shelves.. they creat the space in which we work and interact with . A work station based on Apple platform has to look coordinated .. look awesome as a whole ... and functional and neat ! That is what Apple is supposed to be : Mergere of liberal arts... and technology... not an incoherent fragmented mish mash. That is why Apple should offer beautifully designed and functionally sound monitors....Not to make a killing on them..but for the exposure monitors bring to the picture ... for a complete product lineup that says Apple in every way. (we are all aware displays are not very profitable items)
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 14 of 21

Could "on a case by case basis" mean that the problem isn't too widespread so a recall isn't warranted?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    nubus said:

macxpress said:

If there's one thing we've learned watching Apple and their competitors over the past few years then it's that 'market share' is not the same as 'profitable'. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21

macxpress said:
    Its not all about profits .... its about having exposure.. its about having Apple themed, coordinated work stations that look good and function good... .. not an uncoordinated mish mash of things.... Imagine a desk(work station ) with an iMac, macbooks...then this ugly black display .. then all the clutter that has been transfered from their devices to our desktops with dongles and external devices ... That is not the Apple i knew... not the Apple Steve invisioned... and not why we pay a premium for Apple products. Apple products don't just exist in Isolation or showroom shelves.. they creat the space in which we work and interact with . A work station based on Apple platform has to look coordinated .. look awesome as a whole ... and functional and neat ! That is what Apple is supposed to be : Mergere of liberal arts... and technology... not an incoherent fragmented mish mash. That is why Apple should offer beautifully designed and functionally sound monitors....Not to make a killing on them..but for the exposure monitors bring to the picture ... for a complete product lineup that says Apple in every way. (we are all aware displays are not very profitable items)
    Still not sure why this display is branded as ugly when it looks like 90% of the third party monitors that are already been used with Macs. This hasn't been a problem in years, but now, all of a sudden, it is. I think this is a case of one person saying it's ugly and everyone else just jumping in to look like trendy arty types. Real professionals prefer black monitor surrounds because it helps the actual display (you know, the part of the monitor you are actually working with) colours stand out more. If you spend all day just looking at the monitor case then I suggest that you didn't need this monitor in the first place.

And if we take your argument to its illogical conclusion then Apple should also be making desks, pen holders, pencil sharpeners, carpets and wallpaper, just to ensure you can avoid that 'uncoordinated mish mash' around your whole workspace.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I had contacted LG customer service with the hope they would repair the unit I had purchased. Instead, I had a nightmarish experience of dealing with not one, not two, but three very rude representatives. Finally, I simply told them I wanted to return the unit for a refund. They argued that this wasn't possible. Out of frustration, I called Apple and they wrote up a return authorization in less than two minutes. Before this, I have never purchased anything from LG, and you can bet moving forward that I will NEVER purchase anything from LG ever again. I have been an electrical engineer for 35 years and never seen such poor engineering.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    billrey said:

Oh, and thanks for posting a picture so we could actually see the problem, instead of just telling us how many years you've been an Apple fan, how much Apple kit you've bought and what Steve would've done. 
  • Reply 19 of 21
    macxpress said:

The thing is, all you ever heard about Apple monitors was how you could get a Dell with the same panel for less money. Where did all this aesthetic trolling come from all of a sudden? 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Despite all this I would like to buy a 27" display but at this point how can I be assured that I will get a display that has had the fixes applied?