A month with Apple's AirPods: a long-term video review

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
After using Apple's AirPods for more than a month, AppleInsider revisits the company's first wireless headphone device to report on battery life, design benefits and flaws, durability, performance and more. We also offer our two cents on areas that need improvement.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

We're also interested in your questions! If you want to know anything about AirPods, chime in on our forums and we'll address it.

tim.jobs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Whoa... it's weird to see Max on AppleInsider.

I'm used to seeing him on his own YouTube channel.

:)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I think a great improvement would be for volume and track skip buttons to be added to the Airpods CASE... This would work great as case always near by, in pocket etc. so would make great remote control, providing functions that the Airpods themselves don't do without Siri. 

Would also make make it possible to upgrade case and keep existing Airpods :-)
    jkichlinestardustagcali
  • Reply 3 of 22
    GREAT video/report!! I have not been able to grab a pair yet - Apple loves to introduce a product with only 3 in stock (its their M.O) - but when they make 8 more, hopefully I can get a pair. Looking forward to owning my own in 2027.
    equality72521brucemccali
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Didn't have time to watch the video, but I must admit I loved my AirPods prior to sending them back. They were brilliant. My problem was that they just wouldn't stay in my ears and they kept slipping down and falling out.

I am looking forward to ordering the new BeatsX wireless headphones on Friday. 
    edited February 2017 albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    I think a great improvement would be for volume and track skip buttons to be added to the Airpods CASE... This would work great as case always near by, in pocket etc. so would make great remote control, providing functions that the Airpods themselves don't do without Siri. 

I don't think we'll see this -- the phone/watch is that very thing already. Keep it simple. 
    calipscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Great video, I appreciate the production quality and effort. Keep it up
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

What's to be gained by this? If I'm carrying my AirPods case, then I'm also probably carrying my phone. And if I'm out jogging, I'm probably carrying as little as possible ... Maybe just wearing my Apple Watch. Both the watch and phone have controls built-in, so having controls on the case would be redundant at best. Did you have a particular use case in mind when you suggested this? 
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I was skeptical about Air Pods... but after watching this video... I am tempted! Thanks Max!
    tim.jobs
  • Reply 9 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I was skeptical about Air Pods... but after watching this video... I am tempted! Thanks Max!
    Provided that they will stay in your ears properly (which they do for vast majority), then I think you will love the truly wireless (two piece) experience.  Not having a cord anywhere makes the experience so much better (you do literally forget you are wearing them), and the automatic syncing to all devices is sooooo much better than any other BT device.
    calitim.jobs
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I would love to get a pair of these to pair with my Apple Watch when going on runs!
    tim.jobs
  • Reply 11 of 22
    fluffhead said:
    I would love to get a pair of these to pair with my Apple Watch when going on runs!
    Just did this yesterday. Played music stored on the watch while tracking my workout on the watch's workout app. Worked great, a truly mobile experience, and not carrying my phone with me was much less hassle. I'm always afraid they will pop out while running but for me they stay in fine. As people say, it's easy to forget you are wearing them. I'm afraid one will fall out and I won't even notice, but I have to remember the music will stop if that happens, so I would notice.
    cali
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I have walked out of the gym several times with a podcast playing, leaving my unteathered phone on the treadmill. 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

No. That kills the whole AirPods reasoning. I would rather use iPhone or Watch for those functions.

Someone mentioned sliding your finger up/down on AirPods for volume and possibly other gestures like tapping for skipping tracks. 
    edited February 2017 tim.jobspscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 22
    As an AirPods owner, I agree with this review. Luckily they stay in my ears just fine. And I'm glad to be rid of the cord, whose control would catch on my shirt collar or other things. Too often a cord-tug would even stop the music playing on my iPhone 7 Plus and then I would need to do a reseat of the cord into the iPhone.

I also have an Apple Watch and it's great to quickly control music playback with it... and when I see and accept an incoming call on my watch, the audio automatically goes to my AirPods. I seldom have to pull out my large phone to do basic things.

There have been people that I've talked to with AirPods that say my voice isn't as clear as with tethered earbuds... but I'm often in a noisy environment too... and that may make matters worse.

Overall, I give them a thumbs-up too!

dws-2tim.jobs
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    The airpods are a good product to shows what Apple can do when you stay in the ecosystem. Switching between the phone and the computer is simple, and the watch makes a perfect control device for volume, tracks, etc. I love mine.
    edited February 2017 tim.jobs
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Just excellent! Really enjoy Max's reviews...I learned a couple of things

I have the AirPods for running trails...and Max is so right, having the AppleWatch is very helpful. I can sync a Podcast or Album to the watch, listen thru the AirPods and run w/o having to carry the iPhone. Really cool.

Best
    tim.jobs
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mdjcmmdjcm Posts: 29member
    Very nice video review. I do want some and this helps nudge me that way.
    tim.jobs
  • Reply 18 of 22
    After using Apple's AirPods for more than a month, AppleInsider revisits the company's first wireless headphone device to report on battery life, design benefits and flaws, durability, performance and more. We also offer our two cents on areas that need improvement.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

We're also interested in your questions! If you want to know anything about AirPods, chime in on our forums and we'll address it.

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL I USE THEM ALL DAY
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Is the reviewer saying that you can take one AirPods out and still listen to audio on the one in? I was under the impression that once you removed one AirPod, everything stops. Please let me know.

Germanicus
    =========
  • Reply 20 of 22
    "The case is surprisingly small and barely noticed when carrying in the pocket."

No kidding. I managed to forget the case was in my pocket this weekend, and washed it (and the pods) in the washing machine with all of my clothes. D'oh! To my surprise and delight, I put them in a Tupperware with some rice to dry them out, and 24 hours later they're fully functional and apparently unharmed. And really, really clean.  :p
    edited February 2017 pscooter63