Apple's 10th anniversary 'iPhone X' could cost more than $1,000 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
A new high-end, top-of-the-line iPhone featuring an OLED display and an all-new design is expected to debut later this year with a similarly premium price tag, which one report claims could start at more than a thousand dollars.

'iPhone 8' concept rendering by Marek Weidlich.

Citing a source with knowledge of Apple's plans, Fast Company reported on Wednesday that Apple's so-called "iPhone X" or "iPhone 8" is likely to be priced above $1,000.

In addition to an OLED display that is expected to encompass the entire front of the phone, the report said the handset will feature "a memory upgrade from the current iPhone 7 line." Whether that means faster memory or a new high-end 512-gigabyte capacity was not indicated.

Wednesday's report also reiterated claims that the OLED iPhone will feature a display size around 5.8 inches. However, there has been some confusion over that fact, with analyst Ming-Chi Kuo clarifying that while Apple is buying larger flexible panels to allow a curved design, only 5.1 to 5.2 inches of the display will represent the actual active area.

A $1,000-plus price tag would be the most expensive iPhone Apple has ever produced. The company's current top-of-the-line model, a 256-gigabyte iPhone 7 Plus, runs $969.

"iPhone 8" OLED concept via iMore.

The flagship OLED iPhone is believed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Apple's revolutionary handset. Reports have suggested the design shakeup will enable Apple to embed key features-- including the FaceTime camera, earpiece and Touch ID fingerprint sensor --beneath the display, boasting a truly seamless edge-to-edge design.

Alongside the all-new design, Apple is also expected to launch successors to the iPhone 7 series in similar designs, sized with the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch screens. It is rumored that those handsets will stick with LCD technology for their displays, while the OLED iPhone will have a "considerably better" panel, helping to justify its jumbo-sized price tag.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

Didn't we hear this same, tired old UNSOURCED rumor when the Apple Watch was announced?

If you don't have any data, isn't it best to just sit back and wait?

jbdragongenerous3837lenaSoliandrewj5790Metriacanthosaurusmacplusplusmacxpressgilly017jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 56
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Could,would should,can, possible, may be, not sure but it may, bla,bla, bla. If you don't have official pricing info from Apple marketing head than consider all BS.
    edited February 2017 jbdragonlenaandrewj5790StrangeDaysmattinozalbegarcdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 56
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Rumors are just that. Until there's a official announcement from Apple, I don't believe any of it. This far out they're still generally pretty wrong. Still like 7 months to go before they're released. As it gets closer to launch, more of the rumors turn out to be true, but this far away, no! Many of these rumors you hear year after year. Hey maybe it'll become true this year.
    lenaalbegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Need titabite of storage to justify best IPhones higher price
    lmagoo
  • Reply 5 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

anomehentaiboydoozydozenrandominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Maybe Intel is finally releasing 3D XPoint and it's going into the next generation high end model? One can only hope. 

I usually skip a generation, sometimes 2 between upgrades. The iPhone 8 may be compelling enough. I am waiting for the watch with LTE modem also. 
  • Reply 7 of 56
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    good for Apple...the demand is there, especially if in limited quantities...they should start differentiating the price tiers bc there will always be people willing to pay to differentiate themselves
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Maybe Intel is finally releasing 3D XPoint and it's going into the next generation high end model? One can only hope. 

I usually skip a generation, sometimes 2 between upgrades. The iPhone 8 may be compelling enough. I am waiting for the watch with LTE modem also. 
    given the current sorry state of Lithium battery, you might have to wait for a long time. But a $1,000 iPhone 8? I don't believe it until I see it.
    gilly017watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    "... the handset will feature "a memory upgrade from the current iPhone 7 line."

Maybe it will have a slot for memory cards! Or it could be hardwired to an elephant brain! iPhone! Carry it in your cart or wagon!
    avon b7
  • Reply 10 of 56
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    At some point the increasing prices to grow margins will reach a point of failure.
    Not specifically for the particular product itself, but the zeitgeist on purchasing decisions in general (the old: "I didn't even look at Apple as its stuff is sooo expensive for what you get" even if it isn't true).

The worst part of this is the product segmentation with features reserved for the ludicrous sized model. Why can't we just get iPhone in three sizes which, battery aside, has as close as possible feature parity? Then people can choose which iPhone they want based on the size they want! Why not?
    avon b7[Deleted User]80s_Apple_Guylarrya
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Why only $1000? Why not $1500 or $2000, really raise those asp's.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 56
    entropys said:
    At some point the increasing prices to grow margins will reach a point of failure.
    Not specifically for the particular product itself, but the zeitgeist on purchasing decisions in general (the old: "I didn't even look at Apple as its stuff is sooo expensive for what you get" even if it isn't true).

The worst part of this is the product segmentation with features reserved for the ludicrous sized model. Why can't we just get iPhone in three sizes which, battery aside, has as close as possible feature parity? Then people can choose which iPhone they want based on the size they want! Why not?
    Because then Phil Schiller has nothing to upsell you to. Make no mistake it's all about the upsell.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
  • Reply 14 of 56
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jbdragon said:
    Rumors are just that. Until there's a official announcement from Apple, I don't believe any of it. This far out they're still generally pretty wrong. Still like 7 months to go before they're released. As it gets closer to launch, more of the rumors turn out to be true, but this far away, no! Many of these rumors you hear year after year. Hey maybe it'll become true this year.

Even better, anything rumoured at this point that doesn't end up in the phone is used to sell the narrative that Apple are struggling to keep up, or that they're losing their way.

And, as pointed out above, prices over $1000 are not news outside the US. True, after exchange rates and taxes, the prices in Australia (for example) are pretty close to the US prices, but the psychological barrier at $1000 still exists, regardless of the underlying currency.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 15 of 56

My iPhone 7 Plus cost me $1179. We're already used to those $1000+ iPhone prices here in Canada. I can just imagine how expensive this new one will be here then.

I remember when new iPhone prices got lowered so that everyone had a chance to get one. The good ol days of the iPhone 3G...

irelandanomedoozydozensingularity
  • Reply 16 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    entropys said:

Becaue physics. If you're referring to the double cameras, that takes up more space. So did OIS in previous phones (but between continual efforts at miniaturization and the added space gained in the 7 they made room, per hardware VP Dan Riccio). A bigger phone has a bigger shell, which means bigger components can fit into it. 
    Rayz2016randominternetpersonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Utter nonsense. They aren't going to make a luxury iPhone, because the current regular iPhone already meets that criteria.
    irelanddoozydozenradarthekatpscooter63cityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56

entropys said:

Because then Phil Schiller has nothing to upsell you to. Make no mistake it's all about the upsell.
    If by upsell you mean "more stuff for more money", then yes, Apple is about upsell. So in fact is nearly every for-profit business. Crazy. 
    patchythepiratebrucemcpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56

I remember when new iPhone prices got lowered so that everyone had a chance to get one. The good ol days of the iPhone 3G...

That's not quite right. Apple didn't lower the price in order to be humanitarians -- they lowered the price because their data indicated they came in too high, so they course corrected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    iPhone EDITION
    doozydozenStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra