BeatsX earbuds launching Friday come with 3 months of free Apple Music [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
Customers who have been waiting months for Apple's delayed BeatsX earbuds will be given a consolation: three free months of Apple Music streaming.

A card with the bonus is included in the box, YouTube host Jonathan Morrison noted in a clip comparing the earbuds with Apple's self-branded AirPods. No such card is bundled with the AirPods, or even other Beats products like the Powerbeats3.

The code does require that people register their BeatsX purchase on the Beats By Dre website, but it should apply even to people who have already lapsed the three-month trial available to every new Apple Music subscriber.

For people interested in Apple Music the promotion makes the BeatsX significantly cheaper than the AirPods, since the service normally costs $9.99 per month, and the BeatsX is already nearly $10 cheaper at $149.95.

Update: The Verge is claiming that the card will soon come with other Beats gear "for a limited time," including the Powerbeats3, Solo3, Studio Wireless, and the Pill+ speaker.

After months of delays Apple is finally beginning to ship the product, its official release date being Friday, Feb. 10.

The earbuds aren't fully wireless like the AirPods, and lack some other features, like automatic on/off functions. There are benefits for people who prefer tethered headphones however, such as an inline remote for easier control, and magnetic tips that lock together. Morrison also reported better noise isolation and bass.

Both products are equipped with Apple's W1 wireless chip, which offers better Bluetooth connectivity and easier pairing with Apple devices. The chip is also found in Beats's Powerbeats3 and Solo3 headphones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Would the free 3 month subscription supplement my existing paidApple Music subscription? Would be nice to get 3 free month even though I'm already a subscriber. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Would the free 3 month subscription supplement my existing paidApple Music subscription? Would be nice to get 3 free month even though I'm already a subscriber. 
    Right, I've gotten promotions like this for Netflix where free service was offered for non-subscribers, but existing subscribers got the equivalent time credited to their account.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm thinking that is likely the case, but unfortunately this article doesn't make it clear, and there's a good argument to be made that this offer is heavily weighted to get people to want to sign up to Apple Music over getting people to want to buy BeatsX.

edit: Looking at the image, it would appear to work like an iTunes Store GC which just added a value to your account, but in this case will add 3 months of usage for free. I see nothing that indicates that it's only for new Apple Music customers—It could be small print, but I doubt it.
    edited February 2017 212Tamdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 9
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    It's a nice bonus and good to promote and open Apple Music to potentially new customers. I imagine most who buy AirPods are more likely to already be on board with Apple ecosystem and services. Whereas Beats crosses over to users of a wider range of platforms - ie Android and Spotify users. Beats X will help attract customers on two fronts. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    A card with the bonus is included in the box, YouTube host Jonathan Morrison noted in a clip comparing the earbuds with Apple's self-branded AirPods. No such card is bundled with the AirPods, or even other Beats products like the Powerbeats3.
    I bought the Powerbeats3 a week ago and they also came bundled with a 3 month free Apple Music card.
    It's basically a $29.97 gift card that you can use for 3 months of free Apple Music or to buy anything else in the iTunes Store.
    Soli212TamAndy1984Andy1984calidoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 9
    edred said:
    I bought the Powerbeats3 a week ago and they also came bundled with a 3 month free Apple Music card.
    It's basically a $29.97 gift card that you can use for 3 months of free Apple Music or to buy anything else in the iTunes Store.
    So if it acts as a gift card, could it be used on a family plan instead of the individual one? 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple needs to fix the Android app asap. This sounds like the perfect way to introduce iKnockoff users to Apple allowing them to become subscribers to Apple Music and eventually buying an iPhone but if the experience sucks that will be their perception. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I wonder how many people have tried that code in the picture now