Apple meets with Chinese consumer watchdog in Beijing to talk iPhone 6s shutdown issues

Posted:
in iPhone
A representative from Apple has met with the government-affiliated China Consumer Association, advising the watchdog of the progress it has made in combatting the battery issues plaguing some iPhone 6s units.

A corporate-level executive attended the meeting in Beijing, according to a statement reported by Quartz, updating CCA on its handling of an issue where some iPhones would shut down prematurely. Affected iPhone 6s units produced between September and October 2015 are reportedly turning off with roughly half of the battery's charge remaining, with also room temperatures also causing unexpected shutdowns.

Apple does not believe the malfunctioning iPhones pose a safety issue for consumers, the CCA writes, and that the company will continue to guarantee battery replacements for affected handsets. In December, Apple launched an online tool where users can enter the serial number of a suspect iPhone 6s to check if they are eligible for a replacement battery, and whether to contact Apple technical support or an Apple Store to change it.

The watchdog advises Apple has "progressed" in finding the cause of the problem, noting in the statement additions to iOS to diagnose the issue, but the CCA does not disclose what this could be.

At the end of last year, Apple wrote on its Chinese website that a battery component was "exposed to controlled ambient air longer than it should have been before being assembled into battery packs." The increased exposure causes the batteries to degrade faster, introducing the shutdown issue in some cases.

The CCA first raised issues with the malfunctioning iPhones in November 2016, asking Apple to investigate complaints from customers. After Apple acknowledged the issue, the CCA followed up with a second letter to the company, asking it to be more proactive in solving the problem.

China has become an important source of revenue for Apple, prompting the company to take steps to appease the country's government and connected organizations, but also drawing extra scrutiny from the authorities at the same time.

In the last year, the iTunes Movies and iBooks stores were taken down by a state agency to try and control the distribution of content to citizens. The company's security has also come under close examination as part of a claimed bid to protect the national security of the country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    It is good that Apple addressed and identified the battery problem fairly quickly. I would expect them to handle the replacement policy in China and elsewhere the same as they did in the US. The iPhone 6s is considered a high end (luxury) item so standards and services have to match. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Alas, Apple has dropped the ball on fully addressing this problem. My wife's iPhone6 is not on the list of phones Apple has identified, but continually shuts down with between 30% and 40% indicated charge remaining. And anecdotally, I know of several other iPhone6 owners with the same issue. Apple are normally very good about supporting their hardware products, but I'm glad someone is taking them on about this - Apple refuses to acknowledge the extent of the battery issue.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 8
    flyingdp said:
    Alas, Apple has dropped the ball on fully addressing this problem. My wife's iPhone6 is not on the list of phones Apple has identified, but continually shuts down with between 30% and 40% indicated charge remaining. And anecdotally, I know of several other iPhone6 owners with the same issue. Apple are normally very good about supporting their hardware products, but I'm glad someone is taking them on about this - Apple refuses to acknowledge the extent of the battery issue.
    The article is about the iPhone 6s, whereas your wife's troubled iPhone is a 6. Apple has not acknowledged battery problems with iPhone 6.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    flyingdp said:
    I had a similar problem with my 5. When I took it so an Apple Store. They did a test  on the battery and said it was good. The advice was one program might be the cause. I deleted just about every app I could and never had a problem again. Since then I passed the phone onto my wife and she is still using it with no problems one year later.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    flyingdp said:
    The article is about the iPhone 6s, whereas your wife's troubled iPhone is a 6. Apple has not acknowledged battery problems with iPhone 6.
    Well, it's still a problem. It's a problem with my 6, and many, many others (read the Discussion Forums thread, which is a gazillion pages). But I guess Apple doesn't care about its U.S. users - only Chinese users.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 8
    This isn't an iPhone 6s issue at all. It's an iOS 10.2 issue. Apple is hiding behind the iPhone 6s claim because they don't want everyone to know it effects all variants of iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. This is also a global issue, not a China issue. Forbes has figured this out, why hasn't AppleInsider.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I agree with the above comments...   My IPhone 6 started shutting down with 30-40% charge sometime after OS10 was installed.  When I connect it to a charger it initially shows a completely drained battery but, as soon as it restarts it shows the original 30-40% charge again.  That happens mostly when I put the battery under a load -- such as starting up a video.

The Apple Store rep told me it was the battery -- even though the battery tested OK.  That may fix the problem by providing the phone with a bigger buffer of power -- but it's a workaround (at my expense).   It does nothing to resolve the actual problem.  It just gets Apple off the hook.   

There is something wrong -- either hardware is sending a bad signal to the software or the software has a bug.   My bet is on a software bug.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    flyingdp said:
    I had the same 30% battery problem every day and read somewhere about turning on low battery mode and it fix my iphone! It's a sowtware bug. Hope that helps Fmalloy