25th Anniversary Macintosh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
MWNY. Is it possible? Wasn't the 20th Anniversary Mac announced in July? Or could the introduction of the G5 mark the 25th anniversary?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Hmm...I think introducing a new computer alongside all the others would screw the product matrix up even more than the 14" iBook does right now...but if it was say a PMG5 SE or something...that might be feasable. I doubt it though.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I don't see how a limited edtion mac would screw up the product matrix.

I've suggested in the past that apple should have a "concept" line which was a just limited editions macs but with cool designs or something
  • Reply 3 of 61
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    It'll screw it up because Apple likes to keep things in a nice little quadrant...Low end desktop and notebook, high end desktop and notebook. It'll be the same thing with the cube and the 20th Anniversary Mac before it...it just wont fit. Probably be priced too high, but wont be able to compete with similarly priced pro machines. No one will buy it and it will be a flop. I'm not saying this will be the case, it's just the most likely one if they do have something for the 25th anniversary.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    The problem with both the Twentieth Anniversary Mac iand the Cube was this : expense. Wonderful machines, but way too expensive.

I'd love to have a computer as powerful as the top-level PowerMac but as sleeek as the new iMac. Can I get one? No. Couldn't afford one if it existed.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    hey, just because it's an anniversary mac or limited edition doesn't mean it has to be expensive
  • Reply 6 of 61
    The thing about having an anniversary machine now is that how can they make something cooler than the imac so to speak? It's not like in the past when we had all square boxes and the TAM looked like this futuristic thin amazing thing. You know what I am trying to say?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    How about this... it looks cool and "I know I want one..."

25th Anniversary iPad...

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-2002
  • Reply 8 of 61
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    there never was a 4 product matrix. Each line has a few different configd which could be seen as different 'models'. That was just a marketing tact. Any company that wan't to grow more market share is going to need more models. 14" iBook doesn't screw up anything. It adds choice. 5 or 6 product lines (using similar components) won't be that much more difficult to manage than 4. On the up-side consumers get to pick something that more closely fits their budget.

Calling something a 25th anniversary Mac would be a nice promotional move. I vote for a top-o-the-line 17" LCD iMac, with a Ghz G4, Superdrive, 80GB HD, and 512MB standard. Something that could eventually be rebadged and moved into the standard line-up after a year (and prices have dropped a little) But for now it gets the product out there, where those who are willing to spend more can.

Just like there are iBook 12 and 14, we could in the future have iMac 15 and 17. Still very easy to manage. It's a good idea n a d n e r b
  • Reply 9 of 61
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I don't think that we will see the release of a special edition mac, but the debut of the G5, it fits in well, and what better way for apple to start off its 26th year than having an insanely powerful mac???
  • Reply 10 of 61
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Also a more than acceptable 25 anniversary move.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>The problem with both the Twentieth Anniversary Mac iand the Cube was this : expense. Wonderful machines, but way too expensive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Some of you people are really thick. The TAM was a proof-of-concept

special edition machine. It's not meant for mass consumption.

Lame replies welcome.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Sack Black:

<strong>

Some of you people are really thick. The TAM was a proof-of-concept

special edition machine. It's not meant for mass consumption.

Lame replies welcome.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup. If you bought one of the first bunch (when they were $10,000), an Apple rep came to your house and set it up for you.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Apple is having enough trouble getting the iMacs into the pipeline, they won't be doing anything like a special edition. Not necessary. Plus, as I posted elsewhere, LCD prices are going up due to lack of key parts for the screens. They have plenty of product to sell.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Apple is having enough trouble getting the iMacs into the pipeline, they won't be doing anything like a special edition. Not necessary. Plus, as I posted elsewhere, LCD prices are going up due to lack of key parts for the screens. They have plenty of product to sell.</strong><hr></blockquote>

sign

not mass production

doesn't neccasirly even have to have a built-in display
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Ferro&gt;&gt; great idea((ipad)). If they come out with one. Man I'm getting one of those. They only thing that might be troublesome is the screen. If it's droped the screen may crack or the nasty bleed of death.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    It would be more like the 'modern' Apple to have some sort of 'special edition' regular Mac.

An LCD iMac in silver (color) with all the extras (airport max RAM etc') as standard, or something.

The TAM idea was very much the 'old' Apple.

(O.T. The TAM was originally conceived as a 'Low-Cost' entry level Mac.)
  • Reply 17 of 61
    an new imac.... but with a 21"CRT on that moveable arm.

complete with 36" diameter suction cup on the bottom to keep it on the desk.

and bring back the puck mouse.

and the beige keyboard. It'd be super-expandable with 10 ADB ports, 1 coax, and one garden hose.

Preston
  • Reply 18 of 61
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I doubt that we will see a 25 anniversary Mac. This sort fo collector cost many money to the company, i think they prefer focus their R&D in more appropriate aera.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I think that we'll see the debut of the G5. It'll be put in the PowerMacs, and it won't bugger up the product matrix.

Oh yeah, and what a way to celebrate their anniversary in style.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Expensive? Limited Edition? Proof of Concept? They already released it, it's the Cube