Matte black iPhone 7 owners complain to Apple about chipping paint finish

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    qwwera said:
    And dont forget to wear shoes, jacket when it's cold and a condom when needed.
    protection is important and yes idiotic when you don't protect yourself. 
    Ah, I understand your position now that you've equated an iPhone chipping, denting, or scratching with your person. Since I see it as just a consumer electronic device for which I hold no emotional attachment and which can be replaced, and not my identity or valuable to my fundamental safety, we'll never see eye-to-eye. Or should I say FaceTime camera-to-Facetime camera to appeal to your identification with the utility device.?
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 42 of 73
    I still have a black iPhone 6S that is completely chip-free. Take care of your stuff and you'll never have a problem.
    qwwera
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Put a case on it and call it a day. Love my $8 one from Amazon
    qwwera
  • Reply 44 of 73
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Chipping of the anodization layer tends to mean contaminated substrate.  Oils, dirt, and other contaminants on the base aluminum before it goes into the anodization bath.  

Even if the failures were in the 10-20 parts per million, there could be thousands of iphones with this issue.

Rocking my gloss black with microscracthes and all.
    Solinetmage
  • Reply 45 of 73
    lkrupp said:
    Yet another report to be blown up into a -gate. Only Apple.
    Chipgate is the new Scuffgate
  • Reply 46 of 73
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    These people abuse their phones then try to blame Apple.
    Where is your evidence this is happening because people are abusing their phones?
    Human nature. 
    Also, phone screen repair is a $4 billion industry in the US alone. Phones take all kind of abuse.
    http://www.readingeagle.com/money/article/cellphone-repair-a-growing-industry

pscooter63
  • Reply 47 of 73
    qwwera said:
    My 7 plus is like new. But that's because I'm not an idiot and not put a case on $900. product that I plan to man-handle constantly every day for two years.
    "The finish on my phone is perfect. I can't SEE it because it's covered with plastic, but trust me, under that plastic, it's perfect! The case doesn't look all that great, but at least the part I can't see is protected."

When I sell anything on Craigslist I include a remark discouraging those who may be deterred by scratches and chips from even responding. It saves us both time and prevents the blood pressure eruptions I suffer when presented with someone who seems more concerned about how something looks than how it works.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    My 7 plus is like new. But that's because I'm not an idiot and not put a case on $900. product that I plan to man-handle constantly every day for two years.
    I've had my 6+ caseless for almost 2 and half years. Never dropped it. 
    Aw, I'm sorry to hear that! Apparently you don't have the opportunity to enjoy the myriad life experiences that so many of us take for granted. Obviously you'll never drop your phone f you never take it out of your pocket, but you miss out on so much -- like using the phone! :)

To all the victims of shell-shaming I say, ignore those who deride you for the blemishes, scrapes, dents and scratches on your iPhone. Hold your phone up proudly and celebrate the proof that you actually use and enjoy it! Embrace the knowledge that you pay more attention to the people and events around you than to making sure your phone is protected as you blindly elbow those around you on the train!

But all kidding aside, I'm a little envious of people who are able to devote any mental and emotional energy whatsoever to the cosmetic condition of their devices. I tend to become obsessive about stuff like that, so rather than suffer anxiety about it I just try not to give a crap about how it looks as long as its working correctly. Just trying to achieve "working correctly" takes up so much of my time and attention that I just don't have the energy to deal with "looks pretty."
    tmay
  • Reply 49 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    Where is your evidence this is happening because people are abusing their phones?
    Human nature. 
    It's human nature for people to abuse their smart phones?
    Yes, absolutely, and then try to get them replaced for free by lying through their teeth about what happened. 
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Time for another frivolous lawsuit. Any chip larger than .020" should require a complete iPhone replacement as that chipped finish practically renders the iPhone unusable. Why? Because it's an Apple product and it should be flawless. If Steve Jobs were alive, heads would be rolling at Apple. Weren't these iPhones drop-tested a million times to see if the finish would last? Now I see why Apple doomed. This huge defect is nearly as serious as Samsung's exploding battery in the Galaxy Note 7. Quality control, anyone? /s
    You may think you are being sarcastic but, in fact, you hit the nail on the head. Yes, this will be blown up into something bigger than the Samsung exploding batteries. That is happening right now in this very thread. OCD types will always make mountains out of mole hills.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7745940

So I looked up the thread in Apple’s discussion forums. This is the thread that AppleInsider COPIED the pictures from. The first post was back in November 2016. There are now 58 responses over the course of FOUR months, the same number of posts in this thread in one day. Right, what a huge problem. And of course you have the usual bleating and threats. One user swearing he is switching his entire family from Apple products to something else because of it. Obviously some of the responses are trolls trying to make something out this. Bottom line? Fake news, a non story.
    edited February 2017 Solitmaynetmagecornchip
  • Reply 52 of 73
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Good. These should hopefully be a little cheaper used. I should be able to afford one in about six years. Maybe they'll be down around $200 by then. I actually like the chipped/scratched look. I go case-free and love the nicks & scratches on my 5s.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    melgross said:
    So, is it paint, or anodization? The article uses both terms interchangeably. From the photos, it looks like paint, as anodized surfaces wear, but don't chip.
    It is anodised!

it is extremely irritating that a professional writer would call it "paint" (even in the headline). Some writers do this kind of thing on purpose to generate clicks and stir debate.
    tmaynetmage
  • Reply 54 of 73
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Jet Black iPhone 7 + Thanotech K11 Bumper = Beauty plus protection.
    See for yourself:
    https://www.thanotech.com
  • Reply 55 of 73
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    My matte black 7 Plus is perfect and I got mine when they were released. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 56 of 73
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    sog35 said:
    Dumbass statement

sog35 said: In related news a man with a 2016 Tesla a complaining the paint on his front hood is chipped after driving off a cliff

Dumbass statement #2.

melgross said:
    So, is it paint, or anodization? The article uses both terms interchangeably. From the photos, it looks like paint, as anodized surfaces wear, but don't chip.
    It looks like paint or some kind of coating (probably not DLC), but not anodizing. As you said, anodizing wears through, and hard anodizing wears very well, as in not wearing through like such as you see on keys.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 57 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A number of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus owners have issues with the handset's matte black finish, with some finding that the paint coating is prone to chip off.

Not to point out the obvious but you confuse painting with anodizing which are two drastically different things. I don't know if ht black unit is painted or Anodized but it does make a difference because paint chips!!!!
    GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 58 of 73
    The real question is:   Is it paint?  Or, is it anodize?

If it's paint, then EXPECT it to chip.   I hope it is not paint -- because that would indicate that Apple tended towards a flashy, initial appearance rather than quality.   That is not what Steve Job's Apple did.  His beauty came from inherent functional quality, not a quick paint job.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    The real question is:   Is it paint?  Or, is it anodize?

If it's paint, then EXPECT it to chip.   I hope it is not paint -- because that would indicate that Apple tended towards a flashy, initial appearance rather than quality.   That is not what Steve Job's Apple did.  His beauty came from inherent functional quality, not a quick paint job.
    So if it’s paint, as you postulate, then why aren’t ALL the matte finish iPhones doing this? Why are there only a few, a very few? And please, stop with the “Steve wouldn’t have allowed this” nonsense. It’s not true.
    netmagecornchip
  • Reply 60 of 73
    It just goes to show that people really need Apple Care when buying an Apple device.  These devices are subject to continuous abuse for years.  When you buy a product like that, that cost $500-$1000 getting a warranty is a must.

That said, it's pointless to blame the phone owners.  It sounds like Apple is still working working out the bugs from switching materials from solid aluminum to coated metal.  But when you make 100,000,000 + devices there will be some bad batches.

Apple's response is disappointing, but not surprisingly.  There are a lot of people out there that abuse Warranties; intentionally chipping the paint to get a new phone would happen if they covered this.

So, get the extended warranty and you don't have to worry about it.