Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 8' will use separate wireless charging accessory, ditch Lightning-t...

Posted:
in iPhone
Only one of this fall's upcoming iPhone models -- the so-called "iPhone 8" or "iPhone X" -- will offer inductive charging and a glass back, but buyers will have to use a separate accessory to juice up wirelessly, a report said on Saturday.

'iPhone 8' concept rendering by Marek Weidlich.

The accessory could be based on technology by Luxshare, a Chinese company previously thought to be supplying coils for the wireless charger bundled with the Apple Watch, according to Japan's Mac Otakara. The site's claims may imply that Apple is depending on contact-based wireless charging, rather than exploring "long-distance" options like Energous and Dialog Semiconductor.

Apple is also said to be abandoning bundled Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters with future iPhones. It included one with the iPhone 7, hoping to stem a backlash from people who rely on 3.5mm-based audio accessories -- the phone otherwise depends on Lightning and Bluetooth.

At the same time, the company isn't expected to include a Lightning-to-USB-C cable by default, despite USB-C ports being standard on the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Other Macs don't have built-in USB-C, and the standard is still rare on Windows PCs.

The accuracy of the Mac Otakara rumor is questionable, especially as the site suggests that anticipated 4.7- and 5.5-inch models won't have wireless charging or glass backs, while the "iPhone 8" will have a 5-inch display. These points conflict with other recent reports, which have said for instance that the "X" will sport a 5.8-inch OLED panel, or at least a 5.1- to 5.2 inch one.

Mac Otakara has at least occasionally proven accurate, having successfully predicted some iPhone 7 features like the removal of the headphone jack.

The "iPhone X" could prove to be too expensive for many phone shoppers, with a rumored price tag ">over $1,000. It may be intended as a special 10th-anniversary device however, especially given low OLED capacity in the supply chain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Anyone expecting long range wireless charging in 2017 in a popular consumer smartphone is smoking lots of the good stuff. A firm believer that Energous is leaking misleading claims to be supplying the next iPhone for a stock fiddle (as other companies did in the past—fuel cell in your iPhone anyone?). The technology for such tech in a smartphone in an affordable, seamless, reliable, miniaturised fashion is nowhere near ready for prime time at this point. 2020 at a minimum. But likely 2023+ before we see genuine long-range wireless charging with WiFi—range.

And we can hope—not proprietary. I'd love to see Apple, Google, Intel and others form a consortium to build an open safe standard for wireless power. Even if it means it slows down the the introduction by a few years. This needs to be done right and it needs to be open. This is where the existence of a stock market fucks mankind. For the short term profit of a handful of shareholders the world suffers utter complexity and needless confusion.

On another front I expect our famed "well connected analyst" to be called out when he's once again wrong about iPhone 7s, 7s plus and 8 getting wireless charging. We may not even see a 7s. And why would a 7s get a glass back anyway?
    edited February 2017 cornchipargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Please no "Android style" wireless charging. It's about 7 years too late and still makes no sense.
    caliwonkothesaneentropys1983netmageargonautlarrya
  • Reply 3 of 40
    The way these rumors keep conflicting with regards to the wireless charging and the varying screen sizes for the OLED display are making me think we are going to see multiple models this year. Kuo was saying wireless charging on all models and him and others have said OLED display sizes of 5 or 5.8. I'm really beginning to think and wouldn't surprise me with Apple now that we get 4 new iPhone models this year. 7s & 7s Plus and iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus at prob $100 higher starting prices. The regular iPhone 8 w/OLED at 5" and iPhone 8 Plus w/OLED at 5.8. It would keep the sizes .8 apart from each other like we have now with 4.7 & 5.5. There were rumors before the iPhone 7 release as well of an iPhone with a 5" display being prototyped. I also still believe Apple will release true wireless charging tech if they are going to sell it as an accessory. It may only work say within 3ft or so, but would just be the starting point. That is if they can pull in off this year its a 50/50 shot if it even comes this year. I do not think they will implement inductive charging at this point and sell an accessory for us to use it, its going to have to be the real wireless charging for them to sell that accessory I believe.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    evilution said:
    Please no "Android style" wireless charging. It's about 7 years too late and still makes no sense.
    Some of the press talk a few weeks back said that they would only have a more traditional (your "Android style") charging pad until later this year when an actual remote charging product would be finished up and certified. But they also said devices using the standard charging pads would able to use of the remote charging too when it shipped the later part of the year as the required electronics would already be part of the phone.

Apple wasn't mentioned of course, but putting that with this report kinda makes sense. Apple might have no choice but to sell a standalone remote charger that isn't yet available when the iPhoneX begins shipping.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 40
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I am supportive of not including a headphone adapter in the next iPhone box.  Everyone should have moved on by then, or already have a dongle. Including the dongle for the first year without a headphone port was the right thing to do. I haven't missed the headphone port for example, I just have my headphones with the dongle permanently on the end.

I am surprised at the rumour there will not be a USBC cable. It would definitely still need the old USB. But Apple really should supply both if it really wants to push USBC. Even if the buyer doesn't currently have USBC, it would be worth the marketing value alone as the message would be there for the future.

I support the new MBP only having USBC, but Apple should have included a nice little white case with a few useful dongles inside, with 'transition pack' in a large, friendly looking font on the outside. Again the marketing value would have been worth the cost."here at Apple we want to set you up for a better future, and here are some dongles to help you as you gradually transition" in small print underneath. It would have demonstrated that Apple was forward looking, eager to help people with their transition.  Apple prides itself on the liberal arts/engineering interface does it not? Or is that too transgressive for Tim Cook?

As for the wireless charging rumour, if it isn't remote/at a distance/magical and instead requires a stand or a pad, it would be just plain embarrassing.  Apple would deserve every lump of the ridicule it would get.
    edited February 2017 1983doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 40
    What a great article. There's a smorgasbord of bad news, something for everyone to get out their pitchforks and torches and threaten to quit Apple after claiming to own every Apple product since 1983.
    Rayz2016tmaybrucemcargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 40
    I may be off the mark here, but I love the Apple charger ($80) for the AppleWatch. I just set my watch on it and it magnetically grabs it. I know it's a first world problem but I prefer it so much over finding and inserting a Lightening cable. I bought one for my daughter and have one at home and one on my desk at work. 

I can't wait for the iPhone to be similar. :)
    bb-15doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy said:
    evilution said:
    Some of the press talk a few weeks back said that they would only have a more traditional (your "Android style") charging pad until later this year when an actual remote charging product would be finished up and certified. But they also said devices using the standard charging pads would able to use of the remote charging too when it shipped the later part of the year as the required electronics would already be part of the phone.

Apple wasn't mentioned of course, but putting that with this report kinda makes sense. Apple might have no choice but to sell a standalone remote charger that isn't yet available when the iPhoneX begins shipping.
    Apple always has a choice. If it makes sense, they'll ship it. They aren't going to force it because company X is doing it. 
  • Reply 9 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    entropys said:
    I am supportive of not including a headphone adapter in the next iPhone box.  Everyone should have moved on by then, or already have a dongle. Including the dongle for the first year without a headphone port was the right thing to do. I haven't missed the headphone port for example, I just have my headphones with the dongle permanently on the end.

I am surprised at the rumour there will not be a USBC cable. It would definitely still need the old USB. But Apple really should supply both if it really wants to push USBC. Even if the buyer doesn't currently have USBC, it would be worth the marketing value alone as the message would be there for the future.

I support the new MBP only having USBC, but Apple should have included a nice little white case with a few useful dongles inside, with 'transition pack' in a large, friendly looking font on the outside. Again the marketing value would have been worth the cost."here at Apple we want to set you up for a better future, and here are some dongles to help you as you gradually transition" in small print underneath. It would have demonstrated that Apple was forward looking, eager to help people with their transition.  Apple prides itself on the liberal arts/engineering interface does it not? Or is that too transgressive for Tim Cook?

As for the wireless charging rumour, if it isn't remote/at a distance/magical and instead requires a stand or a pad, it would be just plain embarrassing.  Apple would deserve every lump of the ridicule it would get.
    I don't agree with a USB-C cable with the iPhone yet. How many computers have USBC? Not that many yet Apple is expected to supply a cable for 200+ MM iPhones a year?

I do agree with putting a USB to USBC connector with the new MacBooks and Macs but if you're spending $1500+ already, what's another $30.  
  • Reply 10 of 40
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    evilution said:
    Exactly!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    jungmark said:
    entropys said:

I don't agree with a USB-C cable with the iPhone yet. How many computers have USBC? Not that many yet Apple is expected to supply a cable for 200+ MM iPhones a year?

I do agree with putting a USB to USBC connector with the new MacBooks and Macs but if you're spending $1500+ already, what's another $30.  
    I think eventually Apple will just not include a cable, period. It will come fully charged, you setup the mobile part in store, or WiFi at home and use the cables you already have. People likely have a tonne of cables they no longer need, and I'd strongly advocate for not including cables with all consumer devices if they can be charged over USB.

That said, OLED will certainly be a mistake if it's true. Larger phones do not make sense. 3.5" or 4.0" phones with HD screens are the best compromise between size and battery life. Everything larger is is too large (and too expensive) for most people, but they make sense for people with larger hands, or are visually impaired.

• Reply 12 of 40
    My guess is come September, we will see iPhone 7S and iPhone X. 2018 will see iPhone 8 based on tech of the iPhone X.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 40
    misa said:
    jungmark said:
    entropys said:

I think eventually Apple will just not include a cable, period. It will come fully charged, you setup the mobile part in store, or WiFi at home and use the cables you already have. People likely have a tonne of cables they no longer need, and I'd strongly advocate for not including cables with all consumer devices if they can be charged over USB.

That said, OLED will certainly be a mistake if it's true. Larger phones do not make sense. 3.5" or 4.0" phones with HD screens are the best compromise between size and battery life. Everything larger is is too large (and too expensive) for most people, but they make sense for people with larger hands, or are visually impaired.

Thank God you are not running Apple.
    doozydozenmike1
  • Reply 14 of 40

simply258 said:
    My guess is come September, we will see iPhone 7S and iPhone X. 2018 will see iPhone 8 based on tech of the iPhone X.
    So what's an iPhone x and what's an iPhone 8?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    I don't know man, my pops, who is an old ass man, has a hard time with lightning cables, and has broken two cables, trying to plug them in after two years of every night charging... some people just aren't delicate with tech they use... on one lightning cable, some of the contacts on one side are shredded... just saying... it could be a nice feature, but you can always buy new cables I suppose, but I worry about the female part on the iPhone and iPad, and how shredded that is inside... kinda sucks, I mean 1000 plug/unplug in 2 years? to 3 years (2 a day x 365) 720 times a year...
  • Reply 16 of 40
    SujeitoSujeito Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    ireland said:

simply258 said:
    So what's an iPhone x and what's an iPhone 8?
    My question exactly. That makes no sense. What you might get is a new model with updated looks and the 7 being kept around with the same name or rebranded 7s. 

They can just name it iPhone, iPhone air and iPhone pro and call it a day. 

Or they can simply keep business as usual, put a 7s out and do updated looks next year. It's not like they love to celebrate anniversary Microsoft style, and 10 years isn't that significant a mark to make a fuss.

What do I know. All logical options in line with their thinking history. But people keep inventing all these twisted ideas that make no sense.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 17 of 40
    SujeitoSujeito Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    1983 said:
    evilution said:
    Exactly!
    Do you expect them to reinvent wireless charging? I mean, it's kinda like expecting them to reinvent waterproofing as well. It is what it is. 

I'm in line with a previous poster, it's not likely that comes till a few years from now. And it's known, I'd say.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 18 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ireland said:
    Anyone expecting long range wireless charging in 2017 in a popular consumer smartphone is smoking lots of the good stuff. A firm believer that Energous is leaking misleading claims to be supplying the next iPhone for a stock fiddle (as other companies did in the past—fuel cell in your iPhone anyone?). The technology for such tech in a smartphone in an affordable, seamless, reliable, miniaturised fashion is nowhere near ready for prime time at this point. 2020 at a minimum. But likely 2023+ before we see genuine long-range wireless charging with WiFi—range.

And we can hope—not proprietary. I'd love to see Apple, Google, Intel and others form a consortium to build an open safe standard for wireless power. Even if it means it slows down the the introduction by a few years. This needs to be done right and it needs to be open. This is where the existence of a stock market fucks mankind. For the short term profit of a handful of shareholders the world suffers utter complexity and needless confusion.

On another front I expect our famed "well connected analyst" to be called out when he's once again wrong about iPhone 7s, 7s plus and 8 getting wireless charging. We may not even see a 7s. And why would a 7s get a glass back anyway?
    I don't disagree although I'd hope the time line to long range wireless is a lot shorter.  Remember super computers are now making tremendous leaps forward in processing speeds so simulation for R&D will be speeding up too.  The next step for iPhones to use the same charging system already used by the Watch seems a pretty logical one to me.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jungmark said:
    gatorguy said:
    evilution said:

Apple always has a choice. If it makes sense, they'll ship it. They aren't going to force it because company X is doing it. 
    Well that's good then, especially since there is no company x smartphone using it. Why? Because it doesn't exist for one. So no sir even Apple can't choose to use it at the moment.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 20 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone 8/X, is it 5.1-5.2" or 5.8" ? and about wireless charging, If we don't have tech which allows to carry power over RF signal and extract it efficiently at the other end to charge the phone than it is kind of similar inductive charging,