Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium ahead of 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
With this year's flagship iPhone expected to be the first to boast wireless charging, Apple has officially joined the Wireless Power Consortium, the governing body behind the Qi charging standard.

"iPhone 8" OLED concept via iMore.

Apple was added to the official Wireless Power Consortium website on Sunday, where the iPhone maker is listed as a member of the organization. The news comes as rumors of wireless charging in this year's so-called "iPhone 8" continue to heat up.

Just one day before Apple became listed on the consortium's website, the latest rumor suggested wireless charging with the "iPhone 8" will be made possible with an accessory that could be sold separately.

The latest rumors, combined with Apple joining the consortium, might pour cold water on hopes that Apple could introduce truly wireless charging. The company Energous has been suggesting for months that it is working with Apple on over-the-air charging, but such technology may not be ready for primetime in a flagship iPhone.

Apple does offer a form of wireless charging with the magnetic connector for Apple Watch, which is based on the Qi standard. However Apple uses an authenticated, proprietary variant that means only its own official and approved MFi-licensed charging devices will work on Apple products.

Beyond wireless charging, the "iPhone 8" is rumored to introduce a wide array of new technologies, headlined by an edge-to-edge OLED display. It has been claimed that components like the Touch ID sensor, FaceTime camera and earpiece speaker may be hidden beneath the 5.2-inch screen.

Other rumors peg the device with a $1,000 and up price tag, and claim that Apple could also include an iris scanner to complement Touch ID for secure logins.

In addition, Apple is also expected to launch successors to the iPhone 7 series in similar designs, sized with the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch screens. It is rumored that those handsets will stick with LCD technology for their displays, while the OLED iPhone will have a "considerably better" panel, helping to justify its jumbo-sized price tag.

According to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, all three 2017 iPhones will feature wireless charging technology, though the OLED model will need a new thin graphite sheet component to prevent overheating.

Wireless charging could be a major selling point for this year's iPhones. Research from IHS Technology shows that over 90 percent of consumers indicated they want wireless charging on their next handset.

IHS predicts that more than 350 million total devices capable of wireless charging will ship in 2017, with new growth driven by the addition of Apple's iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    To distinguish this from so-called true wireless charging lets just call it is: near-inductive charging or inductive charging. Genuine wireless charging was always going to be a few years away in 2016/17.

The obvious road map for wireless charging is to eventually be considered very much like Wifi—once you join a network, likely password protection, your device simply starts charging. A nice end-goal would be something like a combined Wifi-charging network with one password.
    edited February 2017 pte appledoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's all good news, Irelands future concepts included.  One day we'll all vaguely remember having to plug things in the same way we'll vaguely remember pitting liquid fuel in automobiles.  I also look forward to my home's roof tiles (especially as I live on the Gulf of Mexico) powering everything for free including the vehicles.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    "The latest rumors, combined with Apple joining the consortium, might pour cold water on hopes that Apple could introduce truly wireless charging. The company Energous has been suggesting for months that it is working with Apple on over-the-air charging, but such technology may not be ready for primetime in a flagship iPhone."

Energous should not be blamed for the assumption made by AppleInsider. Energous never named Apple. Energous mentioned something like "a large mobile company". AppleInsider and other sites needed clicks so all decided that Apple was the large mobile company. Now that the Energous technology might not get used by Apple, claiming Energous suggested Apple is 100% inaccurate.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "The latest rumors, combined with Apple joining the consortium, might pour cold water on hopes that Apple could introduce truly wireless charging. The company Energous has been suggesting for months that it is working with Apple on over-the-air charging, but such technology may not be ready for primetime in a flagship iPhone."

Energous should not be blamed for the assumption made by AppleInsider. Energous never named Apple. Energous mentioned something like "a large mobile company". AppleInsider and other sites needed clicks so all decided that Apple was the large mobile company. Now that the Energous technology might not get used by Apple, claiming Energous suggested Apple is 100% inaccurate.
    Very true. AI can't blame someone else for being suckered. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Will be interesting to see how Apple positions the value of the induction charging.  For the Watch it makes perfect sense in that it shouldn't have a "plug in" port.  However, the iPhone has had one forever, and if the charging accessory is optional, then the lightning port will stay.  So what is the wow factor of this charging mode for Apple?  As others have said, having a charging pad is a little more convenient to plugging in a cable (e.g. one handed operation), but at the expense of a larger surface requirement. 

A convenient option to be sure, but not necessarily a tentpole feature today.  I would assume Apple has something a little more interesting in mind...
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    ireland said:
    To distinguish this from so-called true wireless charging lets just call it is: near-inductive charging or inductive charging. Genuine wireless charging was always going to be a few years away in 2016/17.

The obvious road map for wireless charging is to eventually be considered very much like Wifi—once you join a network, likely password protection, your device simply starts charging. A nice end-goal would be something like a combined Wifi-charging network with one password.
    I like to call it MAT charging. It's not WIRELESS. If you have to place your phone on a MAT that is then plugged into the wall. There's nothing really wireless about it. Might as well plug it it or DOCK it. I dock my iPhone on my iHome alarm clock by my bed every night. It's simple and FAST. Better then a MAT. Can you imagine if to use Wifi which is actually wireless, that you had to put your phone on top of the router. Would you call that wireless Internet? No! I so HATE the term wireless charging. It's not wireless, it's just a different form of wired charging. If you can walk around a room and use your phone and it's also charging at the same time, THAT is wireless charging. Because you're not physically touching anything for it to work. I think having to use a charging MAT is less convenient then just plugging in. You have to have a large enough surface for that MAT. You also can't really use your phone while it's on the MAT charging. When it's Plugged into a cable, takes up less space. you can basically put your phone down almost anywhere. You can pick it up and still use it. To me, WIRED is better them MAT charging any day of the week. If that is all Apple has to offer after all this time of others having FAKE wireless charging, I could care less about it. By the way, One handed operation to plug my phone into a dock!
    randominternetpersonuraharadoozydozenwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 15
    MacPro said:
    It's all good news, Irelands future concepts included.  One day we'll all vaguely remember having to plug things in the same way we'll vaguely remember pitting liquid fuel in automobiles.  I also look forward to my home's roof tiles (especially as I live on the Gulf of Mexico) powering everything for free including the vehicles.
    Cheers. Roof-tile solar has always been inevitable.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The only interesting thing about this news is that there might be some cool iPhone charging accessories on the horizon.

Otherwise this is a big meh. There is no advantage in Qi over plugging the phone into a wall, and there is one big disadvantage in that you cannot use your phone and charge at the same time.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook makes another great decision. 
    Please stop. 
    irelanddoozydozenwatto_cobrafastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 15
    igorsky said:
    The only interesting thing about this news is that there might be some cool iPhone charging accessories on the horizon.

Otherwise this is a big meh. There is no advantage in Qi over plugging the phone into a wall, and there is one big disadvantage in that you cannot use your phone and charge at the same time.
    I'm curious about the 'big disadvantage' you cite...  My wife's Watch continues to work fine while attached to its wee magnet what would prevent an iPhone doing so?  What am I missing?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jbdragon said:
    ireland said:

I like to call it MAT charging. It's not WIRELESS. If you have to place your phone on a MAT that is then plugged into the wall. There's nothing really wireless about it. Might as well plug it it or DOCK it. I dock my iPhone on my iHome alarm clock by my bed every night. It's simple and FAST. Better then a MAT. Can you imagine if to use Wifi which is actually wireless, that you had to put your phone on top of the router. Would you call that wireless Internet? No! I so HATE the term wireless charging. It's not wireless, it's just a different form of wired charging. If you can walk around a room and use your phone and it's also charging at the same time, THAT is wireless charging. Because you're not physically touching anything for it to work. I think having to use a charging MAT is less convenient then just plugging in. You have to have a large enough surface for that MAT. You also can't really use your phone while it's on the MAT charging. When it's Plugged into a cable, takes up less space. you can basically put your phone down almost anywhere. You can pick it up and still use it. To me, WIRED is better them MAT charging any day of the week. If that is all Apple has to offer after all this time of others having FAKE wireless charging, I could care less about it. By the way, One handed operation to plug my phone into a dock!
    Look, I have no idea what's coming but have you ruled out Apple providing the magnet attachment as with the Watch?  That isn't a MAT and the device could be picked up just as easily as it is now with a lighting connector.  I'd prefer that, lightening connectors are not indestructible, I have two genuine Apple ones that now only work plugged in one way around in my iPads.  
    ireland
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member

I think this is still on the table.  I think it's destined for the Apple Watch 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    igorsky said:

You can if it is not a mat, but more break-away MagSafe-esque. Which I'd prefer over a mat.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Why are we talking about next year's phone?
    this year's phone is going tonne iPhone 7S remember.