Target denies reports of imminent Apple Pay addition to retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Hang in there Target. Nintendo did the same thing for a long time before suddenly realising that Apple is the way you make money, not the way you are currently doing it.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Dark_Jester_Dark_Jester_ Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    jbdragon said:
    I don't get this. They were right there at the beginning supporting Apple Pay ONLINE. I'm actually surprised that they still don't support it in their stores. It makes zero sense. Why they just don't support it now?!?! Why is it such a issue? They have terminals that can support it, but go out of their way not to. Home Depot said long ago they were going to support Apple Pay, and that for whatever reason also hasn't happened. Wal-Mart? Who's going to go out of their way to use a crappy App and QR codes? Does that really make it worth going though that? What difference does it make if someone wants to swipe a card or use NFC? They both do the same type of thing. You get PAID either way.
    Yes you get PAID but here is the rub. 1) Online is easy they get to ask you to make and account or even use cookies to track you. That way they know what you are buying and how to direct marking at you making you even more valuable. ApplePay doesn't track people at all. You can see this even in apple stores as you go to check out with it you have to put in you email every time when you check out for an email of the transaction. 2) They don't really want to pay the fees involved that is why the invented the Target card and give you 5% back because they save on those fees. Between both of those points they don't have any incentive to support ApplePay. Now we know that they do from the point of view of the customer experience an that ApplePay customers will go out of their way to use ApplePay when they can. But that still isn't as valuable to Target as avoiding the fees and tracking you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Does Apple Pay accept debit cards? 
  • Reply 24 of 46
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    tzeshan said:
    Yes it does...here in the UK at least. I set mine up on day one and have used it here and in most countries in Europe I have travelled to in the last 18 months or so.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    macxpress said:
    slurpy said:
    Oh, fuck you, Target. What an anti-consumer move. You would think they'd jump on this after their hacking scandal. But nope, lesson not learned. I'm now actively avoiding big box stores that don't support Apple Pay, even though their terminals DO support it,  because why the hell should I give them business if they don't give a shit about my convenience? I've been to a shitload of small business that take Apple Pay, so why the hell can't target?
    I bet they're waiting to see if they can somehow interject the Target Red Card into ApplePay. I think this was a feature Apple was trailing with some places, yes? People wouldn't be able to save the extra 5% without it and Target really pushes the Red Card (Debit or Credit) so customers would expect to be able to use ApplePay with the Red Card. 

That's exactly what I was going to say.  I wouldn't use Apple Pay at Target if it cost me my 5% Target discount.
    I don't use store credit cards and have little concern for it, so would definitely use AP were it available.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    So once again, fake news.
    No, it was real news - just not entirely accurate 
    In other words, fake.
    Still no. The news is that the "social media account from Target said that Apple Pay was coming," not that "Apple Pay is coming to Target retail!"

There's a difference.
    netmagewatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 27 of 46
    mknelson said:
    lkrupp said:
    In other words, fake.
    No, fake news implies it was completely fictional - no basis in fact, no source for the news.

Somebody posted it on Target's social media account and that is what the original story covered. That is verifiable.
    No, this is still fake, and this is the problem with so called journalism today. Everything is real news, until its fake news.

• Reply 28 of 46
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    macxpress said:

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    Oh, fuck you, Target. What an anti-consumer move. You would think they'd jump on this after their hacking scandal. But nope, lesson not learned. I'm now actively avoiding big box stores that don't support Apple Pay, even though their terminals DO support it,  because why the hell should I give them business if they don't give a shit about my convenience? I've been to a shitload of small business that take Apple Pay, so why the hell can't target?
    easy solution?

Don't buy stuff at target. That's what I do
    What department store do you shop at then? I don't know of a major department store retailer other than Kohls that does allow Apple Pay. You can't honestly tell us that you don't go to any of them, ever. 
    Meijer supports ApplePay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    mknelson said:
    lkrupp said:
    In other words, fake.
    No, fake news implies it was completely fictional - no basis in fact, no source for the news.

Somebody posted it on Target's social media account and that is what the original story covered. That is verifiable.
    No, this is still fake, and this is the problem with so called journalism today. Everything is real news, until its fake news.

anomeMplsPwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 30 of 46
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Well, back in the old days a journalist would check their sources by verifying with a second party, or in this case, head office. Can't really do that in the world of the intertubes.  Waiting to verify probably means missing the lead.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 31 of 46
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I think I understand Target's reasoning, here. They allow you to use Apple Pay on the website, since shopping on the website requires you to set up an online account, so they have your personal information for marketing purposes. Using Apple Pay in-store, however, doesn't give them that information because the retail side is essentially anonymised.

It's not just about Apple Pay, either. Shutting down the NFC terminals means that you can't use Google or Samsung payment methods, either, and we know from the Australian banks that they're much more open about that kind of information. I don't know how successful efforts have been to lock out one NFC-based mobile payments system and allow others. The only restrictions I've seen on Apple Pay have been based on the card service. (It won't work for me in places where AmEx isn't accepted, but otherwise, it works fine, including at Target, which I don't think is especially related to the US Target.)

So, essentially, Target is blocking out NFC payments for everyone, not just Apple Pay customers. This ought to be causing more of a fuss than it seems to be. Or maybe that's just because we took to NFC payments here fairly readily before the mobile phone options became available.

• Reply 32 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    evilution said:
    Hang in there Target. Nintendo did the same thing for a long time before suddenly realising that Apple is the way you make money, not the way you are currently doing it.
    It won't matter much after the trade wars with China, et al start. Target won't be able to make money based on their current business model.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    jbdragon said:
    I don't get this. They were right there at the beginning supporting Apple Pay ONLINE. I'm actually surprised that they still don't support it in their stores. It makes zero sense. Why they just don't support it now?!?! Why is it such a issue? They have terminals that can support it, but go out of their way not to. Home Depot said long ago they were going to support Apple Pay, and that for whatever reason also hasn't happened. Wal-Mart? Who's going to go out of their way to use a crappy App and QR codes? Does that really make it worth going though that? What difference does it make if someone wants to swipe a card or use NFC? They both do the same type of thing. You get PAID either way.
    Actually, Home Depot did accept Apple Pay in the beginning then abruptly stopped. 
    mwhite
  • Reply 34 of 46
    macxpress said:
    jib said:
    What department store do you shop at then? I don't know of a major department store retailer other than Kohls that does allow Apple Pay. You can't honestly tell us that you don't go to any of them, ever. 
    Macy's, for example, takes Apple Pay (although not with their store card).

Haha Macy's. Nobody shops there. :smiley: 

macxpress said:
    slurpy said:
    I bet they're waiting to see if they can somehow interject the Target Red Card into ApplePay. I think this was a feature Apple was trailing with some places, yes? People wouldn't be able to save the extra 5% without it and Target really pushes the Red Card (Debit or Credit) so customers would expect to be able to use ApplePay with the Red Card. 

That's exactly what I was going to say.  I wouldn't use Apple Pay at Target if it cost me my 5% Target discount.
    This has to be the exact reason why they haven't allowed it yet. So this I don't think is exactly Target's fault, but rather Apple's. Once Apple starts allowing store cards into Apple Pay you'll see retails such as Target come onboard in store. 
    Target's credit card is from TD Bank. No reason it couldn't be used for Apple Pay and the 5% discount. Not sure who manages their debit card. 
  • Reply 35 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    I have NEVER seen ANYONE use Walmart Pay at a Walmart. Yes, I shop there from time to time for expediency’s sake. I don’t think the demographics match.
    I tried 3 or 4 different times using Walmart Pay but it never worked so I deleted the app.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    tzeshan said:
    Yes I use mine with BofA in the U.S.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    macxpress said:
    slurpy said:

I don't use store credit cards and have little concern for it, so would definitely use AP were it available.
    Target credit card is a MasterCard that can be used anywhere. The benefit is saving 5% at target. Same with their debit card. Acts just like my bank debit card, just saves me 5% on all my everyday purchases that prefer not to put on a credit card. 
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Why are these companies so hell bent on making payments to them difficult? The easier payments are, the better our customer experience will. 

It has nothing to do with better customer experience. It is how far can they push the customer without breaking him and extracting all the useful information about customers that can be monitised.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    lkrupp said:

No, not fake news.  Reporting on something that didn't happen would be fake news.  Reporting what someone really said, i.e. something that really happened, is real news, even if it later turns out that the someone in question lied or was mistaken.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    After my credit card and persona info were hacked from Target I was leary about shopping there.  Then, when they turned down ApplePay, I knew that they didn't give a damn about securing my information.   Have not and will not shop there.

That is the part about online security that most people seem to miss:   The entity that gets hacked (like Target or Home Depot or...), suffers little if any monetary damage.   It's the people who's information was stolen.   So, scum like Target continue with lax security procedures.