Australian banks eliminate fee demands, focus legal assault on opening up Apple Pay NFC te...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    steveau said:
    Mike Wuerthele, please update the article to note that in Australia Amex credit cards also work with ApplePay (on those terminals that accept them). Market pressure will eventually make this happen. Certainly, on a recent visit, every time I paid with my AppleWatch and an Amex CC (I haven't tried my Amex charge card) I had an admiring audience. If 1 in 100 of them buy an AppleWatch and get an ANZ CC, and then 1% of the people who see them use it do the same it won't take long for the big three to give in. In the very unlikely event that the ACCC rules in favour of the big banks Apple will simply stop exporting the iPhone and AppleWatch to Australia, leaving everyone to obtain them by mail order. The loss in goods and services tax (GST) will cause the government to act against the banks. The banks must have worked this out, so really it's a delaying action while they try to establish their Android offerings.
    Amex cards only work if they are not issued by the banks in question.
  • Reply 22 of 30

Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank, and Westpac have dropped fee negotiations, saying that access to core Apple Pay NFC technology would benefit retailers, boost loyalty programs, and enhance touchless payments as a whole. The banks believe that there is "no genuine competition" in Australia, leaving Apple with a "stranglehold" on the marketplace, should it be allowed to bring a closed system to the country's banks.

"Open access to the NFC function, as occurs on the world's most popular and widely installed mobile operating system Android, is important not just to the applicants and mobile payments, but to a range of NFC-powered functions across many sectors and uses," said the bank's collective spokesman Lance Blockley in a statement. "This has global implications for the use of NFC on smart phones.

"The applicants expect that Apple Pay would be offered to their customers alongside open access to the NFC function," added Blockley. "Any delay or frustration will be as a result of Apple refusing to negotiate."

Something just doesn't add up.

No genuine competition?

Not even from "the world's most popular and widely installed mobile operating system Android".

What a load of codswallopp these greedy, bloodsucking leeches on our society come up with to protect their own selfish interests.

Any "delay or frustration" is due to their customers being too complacent to switch banks.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 23 of 30
    CrazyoldrangaCrazyoldranga Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Most Australians have a Tap & Go type of card already, which kind of make ApplePay redundant. My experience tends to suggest that it is a small percentage of Nerds who want their phone to do it all. Having said that, if I could have all of my cards including loyalty cards etc on one device I would consider it. Otherwise I will stick with my card carrying phone case.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Most Australians have a Tap & Go type of card already, which kind of make ApplePay redundant. My experience tends to suggest that it is a small percentage of Nerds who want their phone to do it all. Having said that, if I could have all of my cards including loyalty cards etc on one device I would consider it. Otherwise I will stick with my card carrying phone case.
    It doesn't make it redundant at all! Tap & Go has no security, and can easily be skimmed, even while your card is in your wallet and in you pocket. Plus it's limited to $100 - whereas Apple Pay isn't, and cannot be skimmed due to it only broadcasting a "Token" when activated by a terminal and authenticated by TouchID. 

Tap & Go is convenient, but it's the worst and least secure banking option that's even been presented to us!
  • Reply 25 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    blahfish said:
    It doesn't make it redundant at all! Tap & Go has no security, and can easily be skimmed, even while your card is in your wallet and in you pocket. Plus it's limited to $100 - whereas Apple Pay isn't, and cannot be skimmed due to it only broadcasting a "Token" when activated by a terminal and authenticated by TouchID. 

Tap & Go is convenient, but it's the worst and least secure banking option that's even been presented to us!

EMV cards are complex. They have different levels of security. Your bank will decide which modules to load onto the card. In the case of contactless without Apple pay, you need the card itself. Then, depending on the purchase, a PIN code. Then, depending on how your bank operates, you may get real-time notifications of any transactions.

Saying there is no security is not really correct although as far as I know, the flaw in the EMV protocol was never corrected so anyone with the knowledge and access to your csrd could make the transaction accept any PIN.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 26 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    blahfish said:

EMV cards are complex. They have different levels of security. Your bank will decide which modules to load onto the card. In the case of contactless without Apple pay, you need the card itself. Then, depending on the purchase, a PIN code. Then, depending on how your bank operates, you may get real-time notifications of any transactions.

Saying there is no security is not really correct although as far as I know, the flaw in the EMV protocol was never corrected so anyone with the knowledge and access to your csrd could make the transaction accept any PIN.
    We've had Tap & Go/PayWave for years in Australia. No bank in Australia offers real time notifications for NFC transactions from cards, and no PIN is required for purchases less than $100. 

I've had my card info skimmed twice - the reprogrammed card that they create, can only be used for NFC payments, since the skimming process doesn't reveal the CV2 security number or your PIN. 

Yes we might be covered against NFC fraud, but that ultimately just ends up being paid by us in bank fees. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 27 of 30
    What the Australian banks are doing is simply disgraceful and does nothing for the PR, but do they care? If but some political twisted way they win this, I swear to god, I am moving banks to ANZ, out of protest.
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Apple Watch, no need to pull out anything.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    hill60 said:
    Apple Watch, no need to pull out anything.
    Not everyone wants or needs a Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    blahfish said:
    avon b7 said:
    blahfish said:

We've had Tap & Go/PayWave for years in Australia. No bank in Australia offers real time notifications for NFC transactions from cards, and no PIN is required for purchases less than $100. 

I've had my card info skimmed twice - the reprogrammed card that they create, can only be used for NFC payments, since the skimming process doesn't reveal the CV2 security number or your PIN. 

Yes we might be covered against NFC fraud, but that ultimately just ends up being paid by us in bank fees. 
    Luckily I am not charged any bank fees and the limit for PIN less transactions is 20€ here. With real-time notifications and no iPhone (nor bank support for Apple Pay) I should be OK.