Apple working to combat fake news in News app, Eddy Cue says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple's internet service chief Eddy Cue in an interview Monday night said the tech sector has a responsibility to protect consumers from the recent scourge of fake news, revealing Apple is working on backend solutions to the problem.

When asked about fake news, Cue said it is the onus of all companies in the technology and services industries to ensure the problem does not spread. To do so, news sources and companies who disseminate news, like Apple and its News app, need to halt the spread of fake news whenever possible.

"Since the vast majority of news is now being read through devices, and through services that are provided through those devices, then I do think that we all have a responsibility for it," Cue said.

Since last year's presidential election, fake news has quickly morphed from a disinformation campaign to a real journalistic problem. A number of websites are dedicated to churning out false news stories that often reinforce previously held beliefs on hot-button topics like immigration, crime and the economy. These fake news items go viral on social media outlets like Facebook, and while most are recognized as false, some make it into the legitimate news cycle.

The issue has also impacted the highest levels of government, with Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway spreading her own bit of misinformation by justifying the president's travel ban as a response to terrorist acts like the "Bowling Green massacre." The referenced incident never happened. She later claimed to have referenced the arrest of Iraqi refugees in Bowling Green, Ky., in relation to charges of allegedly aiding terror organization al-Qaeda.

Apple does not have an answer to fake news "by any means," Cue said, but the company is working on methods to combat its spread.

"We wanted Apple News to be available to everyone, but we want to vet and make sure that the news providers are legitimate," he said, adding, "We're very concerned about all of the news items and the clickbait from that standpoint, and that driving a lot of the news coverage," he said. "We're trying to do some things in Apple News, we're learning from that and we need to share that together as an industry and improve it."

Cue failed to detail what, exactly, Apple is trying to do with Apple News, but he seemed adamant that the entire industry needs to workshop a solution.

The revelation comes after Apple CEO Tim Cook in a recent interview said fake news is "killing people's minds."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Oh, for the love of...

Start by dropping the New York Times.
    yumyumNotsofastbrian greenfrantisekgtrthewhitefalcondesignrasdasdMetriacanthosaurusjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Wow. You lost all credibility with such an outwardly biased article yourself.  Ironically, you put your own fake news in play.  AppleInsider please reconsider and pull this and make the author rewrite it as your own credibility is on the line.  For Pete's sake, can't we simply have some objective reporting, e.g., tell us what Eddy Cue said, we don't need your snide comments about the President and his staffer. 
    SpamSandwichyumyumbrian greenmonstrositygtrMetriacanthosauruspotatoleeksoupjbdragongilly017ibill
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I'm sorry I don't need Apple filtering news for me. Does anyone even use the news app? With Facebook and Twitter who needs it?
    yumyumfrantisekmonstrositydesignrMetriacanthosauruspotatoleeksoupicoco3patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 18
    This hole 'fake news' thing is all caused by the fact that the mainstream media has shown that we can no longer rely on them to get journalism right and actually verify claims that they themselves report as news. People then look to the internet for 'sources' and then subsequently fail to verify them. If everyone and their dog can run a 'news organisation' on the web then it comes as no surprise that many if not most of them have even lower journalistic standards than the current mainstream media. This does not however mean that there are no legitimate 'news organisations' on the web that do actually practice proper journalism, the problem is that the average joe can no longer distinguish between what is tabloid gossip and what is factual news.

People are lazy and they expect journalists to do the investigative work for them, as they should, and not have to scour the internet to verify if the cited sources indeed check out. Fix the credibility issue by either having main stream media clean up their act or provide a solid and easy to find alternative for the masses that they can rely on.
    Notsofastyumyumentropysfrantisekgtrpscooter63designrpotatoleeksoupMacsplosionjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Back in the day this was called censorshi o and it's universally recognized as bad. 

I dont need Apple or anyone else "curating" my news according to what they deem appropriate. Or what they feel should be called "real."

the scaru part part of this whole stupidly named "fake news" phenomena is that it's nothing new. It's something that's been around forever. You'll have FOX and CNN reporting the same thing with different perspectives and then you'll have the inquirer.., or another more obscure source. 

People know now what's what. 

If if anything it's been the people crying "fake news!" Who've spread the fake news so far. 

Like this article for example. You don't just get a report. You get someone's opinion about the facts. 

You want ant a laugh? Read the pentagon report on Russia's "hacking" of the election. Somehow they managed to call trying to influence people via the internet (like that's anything new - see al queda, isis, Al Jazeera, Obama, Russia, Korea, etc) "hacking." It's a joke. Somehow some democrats having inadequate security which was taken advantage of by a known hostile power (no laughing matter) ge S turned into a kardashian level attack on the election integrity. 

In reality, people voted for who they wanted, the states with most electoral votes ensured due process and boom. We have a legit election. Just as it has been. No hacking, etc. 

Losing control of the narrative doesn't constitute hacking. It just means people have thought for themselves and didn't make the choices you'd have preferred. People aren't robots to be manipulated and this election proves it. Instead of rioting and harming your fellow citizens, you should respect their choice. Just as they have yours the last 8 years. 

Its re those who are screaming about fake Jews like it's this new thandroid by that I'm confused bcerned about. Sounds more like a play to force feed you their agenda while having you unknowingly agree to it under the guise of killing an imaginary monster. 

THAT would indeed be killing peoples minds. 
    edited February 2017 Notsofastyumyumbrian greenfrantisekmonstrositygtrSpamSandwichpotatoleeksoupjbdragonibill
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Donvermo said:
    This hole 'fake news' thing is all caused by the fact that the mainstream media has shown that we can no longer rely on them to get journalism right and actually verify claims that they themselves report as news. People then look to the internet for 'sources' and then subsequently fail to verify them. If everyone and their dog can run a 'news organisation' on the web then it comes as no surprise that many if not most of them have even lower journalistic standards than the current mainstream media. This does not however mean that there are no legitimate 'news organisations' on the web that do actually practice proper journalism, the problem is that the average joe can no longer distinguish between what is tabloid gossip and what is factual news.

People are lazy and they expect journalists to do the investigative work for them, as they should, and not have to scour the internet to verify if the cited sources indeed check out. Fix the credibility issue by either having main stream media clean up their act or provide a solid and easy to find alternative for the masses that they can rely on.

The whole fake news is the extremist's explanation as to why they lost.  It couldn't simply be they ran the least popular person in the country who has been constantly mired in scandals and has the lowest popularity rating.  So now they want to try and censor the news because they think everyone but them is an idiot, and can't tell fake news from real news. As though we all stand in line at the supermarket and really think Elvis Presley is still alive and that Angelina is having an alien's baby.  LOL.  We have more news sources than ever before and that's what scares a lot of folks.  The monopoly is over and that has some people calling for censorship.  

I like Apple News for its convenience, but I recognize the bias in the top stories they select each day.  I appreciate that with a simple swipe to the right I can block any channels that I think are bias.  CNN, we are looking at you buddy.  
    brian greenentropysmonstrositypotatoleeksoupjbdragonibillicoco3patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Back in the day this was called censorshi o and it's universally recognized as bad. 

Back in the day it was called fact checking. If you make news available based on what other news outlets said you would fact check it first before putting it in print or broadcasting it. How much weight you gave various sources would depend on their past reliability.

How is this different except news is gathered automatically so more reliance on reliability of source is needed.
    redgeminipapscooter63stantheman
  • Reply 8 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
     Notsofast said:
    Donvermo said:

The whole fake news is the extremist's explanation as to why they lost.  It couldn't simply be they ran the least popular person in the country who has been constantly mired in scandals and has the lowest popularity rating.  So now they want to try and censor the news because they think everyone but them is an idiot, and can't tell fake news from real news. As though we all stand in line at the supermarket and really think Elvis Presley is still alive and that Angelina is having an alien's baby.  LOL.  We have more news sources than ever before and that's what scares a lot of folks.  The monopoly is over and that has some people calling for censorship.  

I like Apple News for its convenience, but I recognize the bias in the top stories they select each day.  I appreciate that with a simple swipe to the right I can block any channels that I think are bias.  CNN, we are looking at you buddy.  
    Oh brother, thats exactly the problem with people like you - you think CNN is fake ONLY because you don't like CNN. I trust CNN far more than Fox News.  

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it "fake news." People need to stop confirming their own biases with fake news that suit their beliefs. 

I am so fed up with people subscribing and liking fake news on both sides. 

A list of fake news sites: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10eA5-mCZLSS4MQY5QGb5ewC3VAL6pLkT53V_81ZyitM/preview

SoliredgeminipastanthemandavenMikeymikeKenster999doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 18
    netrox said:
     Notsofast said:
    Donvermo said:

Oh brother, thats exactly the problem with people like you - you think CNN is fake ONLY because you don't like CNN. I trust CNN far more than Fox News.  

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it "fake news." People need to stop confirming their own biases with fake news that suit their beliefs. 

I am so fed up with people subscribing and liking fake news on both sides. 

A list of fake news sites: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10eA5-mCZLSS4MQY5QGb5ewC3VAL6pLkT53V_81ZyitM/preview

You do realize that google docs link is a fake news site don't you?  That list was debunked months ago when it came out.  And who brought up Fox News, I don't watch them! So, you see you just put out fake news!!!!  TWICE.  First with a debunked link site and then by falsely accusing me of liking Fox News.   LOL Netrox you win the award for irony.   I called out CNN as have many in the news business because they have had to pull back so many stories when they have been called on it.  I know they said they are reviewing their policies, etc., but it still doesn't change the facts.     
    edited February 2017 jbdragonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 18
    birko said:

Back in the day it was called fact checking. If you make news available based on what other news outlets said you would fact check it first before putting it in print or broadcasting it. How much weight you gave various sources would depend on their past reliability.

How is this different except news is gathered automatically so more reliance on reliability of source is needed.

False. 

Fact checking is is just that. 

Someymes people misspeak. Sometimes they purposely distort. Fact checkers by is welcome by anyone who cares about the truth. 

Censorshipboscrryingbto to suppress it by calling it dangerous. 

That's the difference. 

Toure welcome. 

If snythng the the liberal media has been the most guilty of errata. 

Yet they hey try to spin it against those who are merely stating facts. 

Freedom of speech in all forms is a liberty that must not be suppressed. As soon as it is, you're at the mercy of one approved source telling you what to believe and how to think and feel. 

That is dangerous. That's North Korea, china, Russia, and most Islamic nations. 

No thanks. 

Those trying to control prople via via their narrative are the ones who are trying to spin the fake news thing as though it's new. And as though they're not the guilty party. 

The American people are sick and tired of manipulation, being politically correct for the sake of peer pressure, and being fed narratives by which to view the world. 

Just the facts. And let people choose how to think. That's what's needed. 
    jbdragonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Donald Trump is our president. The election decidedly made this so and that is that -but the discussion about fake news stands on its own merit. This is about living in a society where the public is informed. The world shifted with the interweb and the explosion of news sources, (which is a great testament to this democracy that values a press/public that discuss concerns and question authority in a civil manner). But somewhere in between hours of cat videos, articles, and memes, what we used to call responsible journalism has lost it's way. As Ron Burgundy put it, 'let's give them what they want, not what they need;' let's give irresponsible sensational news bites. So now you get: people showing up at pizza parlors to stop would be trafficking, people not really looking into how ACA will keep premiums down and instead worry about "death panels", people on both sides uncivily attacking each other based on perceived threats, "human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -mass hysteria!" This TedTalk about editorial responsibility (or what you can call censorship) gives background about the press/information and expands further. In closing, can ya"ll just have a Cola and a smile -calm down.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I guess they hope it stops rumors about a new mac pro...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Donald Trump is our president. The election decidedly made this so and that is that -but the discussion about fake news stands on its own merit. This is about living in a society where the public is informed. The world shifted with the interweb and the explosion of news sources, (which is a great testament to this democracy that values a press/public that discuss concerns and question authority in a civil manner). But somewhere in between hours of cat videos, articles, and memes, what we used to call responsible journalism has lost it's way. As Ron Burgundy put it, 'let's give them what they want, not what they need;' let's give irresponsible sensational news bites. So now you get: people showing up at pizza parlors to stop would be trafficking, people not really looking into how ACA will keep premiums down and instead worry about "death panels", people on both sides uncivily attacking each other based on perceived threats, "human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -mass hysteria!" This TedTalk about editorial responsibility (or what you can call censorship) gives background about the press/information and expands further. In closing, can ya"ll just have a Cola and a smile -calm down.
    That's exactly what we have been trying to say to the "Fake News" folks.

Be normal human beings. Stop getting irate that others don't share your opinion.

Respect the opinion of others - like moms have been trying to teach their kids for centuries...
    entropysredgeminipaSpamSandwichpatchythepiratelostkiwiNotsofastewtheckman
  • Reply 14 of 18

michelb76 said:
    I guess they hope it stops rumors about a new mac pro...
    LOL

Post of the morning.
    ewtheckmandoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Sadly, fake news is an attempt by corporate media and Western governments to delegitimise any news sources which do not follow their narrative. It doesn't matter if they're credible or non-credible. Remember, the whole public relations industry arose over 100 years ago from managing war news and the public's perceptions. The problem for the media now is that people do not trust what they read or hear anymore, because it doesn't ring true or make sense much of the time. Also, many previously trusted news organisations have been caught out spreading their own fake reports. You only have to examine the MSM reporting on Syria to see what's happening. On 9th December 2016, an independent Canadian journalist gave a press conference at the UN and blasted the media for having NO-ONE on the ground reporting from Aleppo or Syria as a whole. She said what was being reported was the "opposite of reality". She had visited the country numerous times, and being fluent in Arabic, spoke with many communities to verify what was ACTUALLY happening. During the same month, Hillary Clinton gave a speech decrying fake news as being dangerous and said "something had to be done about it". Also in December, Barack Obama amended NDAA 2017 legislation, which contained a clause repealing the ban on using US state propaganda (i.e. fake news) against US citizens. He also signed-off Rule 41 allowing the FBI to hack anywhere beyond their jurisdiction. We're in a situation where the finger pointers are the perpetrators. They're lying, hacking, demonising and destabilising, and pointing the finger at anyone wishing to tell the truth. What they're suggesting, with the help of social media, is censorship, which is a scary and dangerous road to your favourite dystopian nightmare. I'm just surprised Apple is buying into this particular brand of BS. 
    designrSpamSandwichpatchythepiratesdw2001
  • Reply 16 of 18
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I don't care since the News App, like so many apps and services (including Siri on AppleTV) is not even available in a significant number of countries other than the US...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    It would seem to me that in the 21st Century, we'd have news that cited every one of its facts much like a scientific paper does. If you state something as fact in an article, it needs to be cited. Any "anonymous" sources need to be labeled as such and questioned by all. Most articles fail to cite the sources with direct links, much like a scientific paper does, and I think that would go a long way toward solving this issue. Bibliographies are a good thing.
    wandelwonderredgeminipa
  • Reply 18 of 18
    It would seem to me that in the 21st Century, we'd have news that cited every one of its facts much like a scientific paper does. If you state something as fact in an article, it needs to be cited. Any "anonymous" sources need to be labeled as such and questioned by all. Most articles fail to cite the sources with direct links, much like a scientific paper does, and I think that would go a long way toward solving this issue. Bibliographies are a good thing.
    Overall, I agree with your point but then again...

brian greenMikeymike
This discussion has been closed.