Apple's 'iPhone 8' again rumored to feature reinforced glass back, stainless steel frame

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
A new report from Chinese manufacturers reinforces the reports that the next wave of iPhones will have three releases in 4.7-, 5.5-, and 5.8-inch screen sizes, and names China-based Foxconn and Catcher Technology, plus U.S. based Jabil Circuit as suppliers.

The latest rumor from DigiTimes claims that the reinforced glass chassis for the "iPhone 8," is expected to use a 5.8-inch OLED panel pre-shaping, will come from Foxconn and U.S. manufacturer Jabil Circuit. Though Apple is said to be purchasing 5.8-inch screens, reports have indicated that the actual usable screen size will be in the 5.1- to 5.2-inch range.

The aluminum casing expected in Apple's 4.7-inch model, meanwhile, is said to come from Catcher Technology. That device, known colloquially as an "iPhone 7s," is expected to once again feature an LCD display like the iPhone 7 and its predecessors.

While Catcher didn't respond to comment on its client list, it did point out that it was expecting significant growth in fiscal year 2017 as a result of its investment in precision aluminum milling technologies.

A previous rumor pegged Jabil Circuit as a possible "iPhone 7s" case manufacturer. The company is headquartered in St. Petersburg, Fla., and maintains facilities in California, Idaho, and New York.

Despite the corporate headquarters being located in the U.S., Jabil does have significant capital investment in manufacturing capabilities inside China. It is unclear at this time where any future iPhone parts may be manufactured, and it is likely already too late in the design and sourcing process to shift any "iPhone 7S" or "iPhone 8" construction to the U.S., nor is it probable that any rumored tax reform would take place immediately and in full after implementation by the Trump administration.

The new report also seemingly slams the door on reports that Casetek was "aggressively sending" casing engineering samples to Apple to attempt to garner orders for the device.

'iPhone 8' concept rendering by Marek Weidlich.

"From iMacs, iPads to MacBooks ... the [iPhone] is the only product we have not supplied," Chuang said in an interview in Nov. 2016. "We will focus on developing this business next year."

The premium "iPhone 8" could cost more than $1,000. Rumors claim that design features of the "iPhone 8" include a glass back, curved edge-to-edge OLED display, and assorted sensors including a fingerprint reader and FaceTime camera embedded in the glass.

Apple is also expected to launch immediate successors to the iPhone 7 at the same time, sized with the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch screens. Reportedly, the "iPhone 7s" family, including a 5.5-inch model, will retain LCD display technology.

Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities claims that while all three 2017 iPhones will feature wireless charging technology, the OLED model in the "glass sandwich" will need a new thin graphite sheet component to prevent overheating.

Samsung has reportedly garnered orders for 5- and 5.5-inch OLED screens for future iPhones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Heck, let's shoot for the moon. Given the prior article about embedded touch id... Give me a Micro-LED screen.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    DigiTimes...  :/
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I'm confused by all this. I just don't understand the idea of launching a 7S and iPhone 8 at the same time. Can someone smarter then me please explain the rationale? 
  • Reply 4 of 25
    supadav03 said:
    I'm confused by all this. I just don't understand the idea of launching a 7S and iPhone 8 at the same time. Can someone smarter then me please explain the rationale? 
    Upsell. Do modest upgrades to the existing line to make everyone want the new shiny object (which just happens to be the most expensive). Question is does Apple keep the 7 and 7 Plus in addition to a 7S and 7S Plus and an 8 (or whatever they call it)? And keep the SE as well? That's a pretty big iPhone line. I lik3d it when things were simple and it was easier to know what model to buy. These days it's a lot harder because it's no longer just pick a screen size and storage option. These days it seems like Apple designs models that exist purely to get you to buy something more expensive. I mean what's the point of the MBP escape other than to get you to spend more for the touch bar version? I wish there was someone in the marketing department that could bring Apple back to simplicity.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    supadav03 said:
    The 7s will be a lower price point. Every price point that Apple hits, matters.

They've proven that there are 2 decisive markets for iPhone, those that want new but not the most $, and those that want the absolute best whatever it may be.

They probably won't keep the 7 around, or it will be available in a single model/capacity.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    The only thing I don't understand is why the iPhone x is said to feature a 5..1 - 5.2" screen? Is this Apple's conclusion after running with 4.7 and 5.5 for 3 years? That there is a sweet spot around 5.1 - 5.2? Well I'm hoping it is 5.2. I don't want it to be much smaller than 5.5.

What resolution would it be? I suppose it will retain the same 1920x1080 resolution as the Plus, but with an even higher pixel density.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    There is not enough capacity to do a whole 8 (or 7s) release that's OLED, so they'll have to be OLED and LCD models.
    tmaybillreypscooter63ireland
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Yes. The reason why Apple is doing an iPhone Pro/iPhone X along-side an iPhone 7s this year is pretty obvious. They want to build a next-gen phone with OLED screen and no home-button, but there aren't enough high quality OLED screens in the world to saturate Apple's supply chain. So they are forced to bifurcate the line, at least for the time being, until OLED production increases. Maybe down the line in a few years, Apple can they combine them back again.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 25
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    It's my impression that Apple leaks some of these rumors them selves.  Test which rumors get the most response. Test which reactions... I'm not sure Apple plans on releasing both a 7s and an 8. I think they are wanting to release iPhone 8. But need a secondary option in case the new technology isn't ready again like last year

another theory I have is that the "iPhone 8" will be called something else. Turning it into anew product line like the iPhone plus. 
  • Reply 10 of 25
    supadav03 said:
    Upsell. Do modest upgrades to the existing line to make everyone want the new shiny object (which just happens to be the most expensive). Question is does Apple keep the 7 and 7 Plus in addition to a 7S and 7S Plus and an 8 (or whatever they call it)? And keep the SE as well? That's a pretty big iPhone line. I lik3d it when things were simple and it was easier to know what model to buy. These days it's a lot harder because it's no longer just pick a screen size and storage option. These days it seems like Apple designs models that exist purely to get you to buy something more expensive. I mean what's the point of the MBP escape other than to get you to spend more for the touch bar version? I wish there was someone in the marketing department that could bring Apple back to simplicity.
    Nonsense. Unless if by "upsell" you mean "how human economies have worked since the dawn of time" -- whereby when you get more, you pay more.

The notion that "these days" Apple makes low-value entry level models just to trick you into buying the higher models is also nonsense. If they implement these models, the 7s will be a normal upgrade to the previous 7, but the 8/X/Pro will have extra features that you pay more for -- such as magical charging or whatever. Something that you really had no right to expect otherwise. In Apple marketing parlance, these models are usually called "Pro". Does the MBP make the MB a decoy product that only exists to sell you the MBP? Of course not, that's absurd. They wouldn't invest in the manufacturing lines, logistics, and warehousing costs just have them setting on a pallet nothing being sold to anyone. No, they have different features. People like my dad have no interested in magical charging or micro displays -- he was happy w/ his 16GB iPhone so will be equally happy w/ a 7s non-pro or whatever it is. Entry level is fine for entry level customers.

Same w/ the MBP Escape (sans touchbar) -- it exists for people who'd rather spend less and get less. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But yeah, it's easy for some to victimize themselves when there's something more expensive out there.
    edited February 2017 patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    The only thing I don't understand is why the iPhone x is said to feature a 5..1 - 5.2" screen? Is this Apple's conclusion after running with 4.7 and 5.5 for 3 years? That there is a sweet spot around 5.1 - 5.2? Well I'm hoping it is 5.2. I don't want it to be much smaller than 5.5.

What resolution would it be? I suppose it will retain the same 1920x1080 resolution as the Plus, but with an even higher pixel density.
    One possibility for a 5.2" 16:9 display is 414x736 points at 163 points per inch. That gives the same display real estate as the 5.5" iPhone and the same point density as the 4.0"/4.7" iPhone. 

tshapi said:
    It's my impression that Apple leaks some of these rumors them selves.  Test which rumors get the most response. Test which reactions... I'm not sure Apple plans on releasing both a 7s and an 8. I think they are wanting to release iPhone 8. But need a secondary option in case the new technology isn't ready again like last year

another theory I have is that the "iPhone 8" will be called something else. Turning it into anew product line like the iPhone plus. 
    My guess is "iPhone Pro." The rumored $1000 price isn't unreasonable given the price of the (12.9") iPad Pro compared to the price of the iPad Air 2. 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    tshapi said:

Apple has never designed by committee or focus group -- they don't need to leak rumors and gauge reaction. They just design, build, sell. If it doesn't sell they drop it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    supadav03 said:
    Nonsense. Unless if by "upsell" you mean "how human economies have worked since the dawn of time" -- whereby when you get more, you pay more.

The notion that "these days" Apple makes low-value entry level models just to trick you into buying the higher models is also nonsense. If they implement these models, the 7s will be a normal upgrade to the previous 7, but the 8/X/Pro will have extra features that you pay more for -- such as magical charging or whatever. Something that you really had no right to expect otherwise. In Apple marketing parlance, these models are usually called "Pro". Does the MBP make the MB a decoy product that only exists to sell you the MBP? Of course not, that's absurd. They wouldn't invest in the manufacturing lines, logistics, and warehousing costs just have them setting on a pallet nothing being sold to anyone. No, they have different features. People like my dad have no interested in magical charging or micro displays -- he was happy w/ his 16GB iPhone so will be equally happy w/ a 7s non-pro or whatever it is. Entry level is fine for entry level customers.

Same w/ the MBP Escape (sans touchbar) -- it exists for people who'd rather spend less and get less. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But yeah, it's easy for some to victimize themselves when there's something more expensive out there.
    supadav03 said:

The Retina display on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3 didn't cause the cost of the product to rise. Neither did Touch ID with the 5S. With iOS devices it used to be simple, choose your screen size and choose your storage. Now it keeps getting more complicated and Apple creating new lines so they can increase the price. Now not only will you have to consider screen size and storage but materials and display and probably wireless charging. It gets harder to recommend to people because you can't just tell them to pick the screen size and storage option. Now they have to think about camera and materials and charging and display etc.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tshapi said:

Apple has never designed by committee or focus group -- they don't need to leak rumors and gauge reaction. They just design, build, sell. If it doesn't sell they drop it.
    It strikes me as odd, that for a super secret company where Tim Cook promised to double down on secrecy they appear to have become more predictable and somewhat more transparent 
  • Reply 15 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I still think the iPhone4 was - far and away - the best looking iPhone made, with a distant second going to the iPhone5.   There's been enough chatter in the blogosphere about a possible return to the iPhone4 design to have me wait to trade in what will be my 3-year-old iP6+.  I almost bought the iP7+ on impulse last year but when Apple gave me an almost 2-month wait, I canceled the order... I'm much more happier I did. :)
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 16 of 25
    sog35 said:
    supadav03 said:
    I dont understand why people like you are against having more choices.

In the old days it made sense, since there was a cost benefit to Apple for having fewer models. When Apple was only selling 50 million phones a year, it made sense to have a small lineup.

But these days Apple is making 200+ million iPhones a year, so having more models is no big deal. Also Apple needs to cater to a much bigger market. In the good ole days Apple didn't even concern itself with China. Now China is the 2nd biggest country. 

I don't see how having a SE, 7, 7s, and iPhoneX line would be confusing. Its a big purchase so I appreciate having options.

Apple has the SE for people who like 4" one handed . They have the 7 for people who like the 4.7" and the 7 plus for people who like phablets style phones. And soon hopefully they will release the iPhone 8/x/pro for people who like a bezeless experience.  Why is this confusing? Apple has 3 different phone models and soon will have a 4th each targeting a specific market segment.

I wouldn't be surprised is they redesigned the 7/7s and plus to have slimmer bezels. 

After all most most of the attention is on the mythical 8

If Apple made the 4.7 iPhone with a lot less bezel making closer to the size of the 5/5s in terms of height 

Then they wouldn't really need the SE any more now would they?

Just food for thought 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sflocal said:
    I still think the iPhone4 was - far and away - the best looking iPhone made
    I agree the iPhone 4 design was nice but the glass and steel made it a little heavy, plus the edges were somewhat sharp and tended to wear out jeans pockets. I also have the 6. I like the design overall except for the location of the power button. I've had several iPhones starting with the original, but now that the carriers don't penalize you for keeping a paid off phone, I'm less inclined to upgrade every two years as before.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    volcan said:
    sflocal said:
    I still think the iPhone4 was - far and away - the best looking iPhone made
    I agree the iPhone 4 design was nice but the glass and steel made it a little heavy, plus the edges were somewhat sharp and tended to wear out jeans pockets. I also have the 6. I like the design overall except for the location of the power button. I've had several iPhones starting with the original, but now that the carriers don't penalize you for keeping a paid off phone, I'm less inclined to upgrade every two years as before.
    I liked the "heavy" feeling the iPhone4 had.  The mass of glass and steel (to me) was a feeling of well-built quality.  Interestingly though, I loved the more angular edges of the iP4.  I drive a motorcycle almost every day, and I've worn out more jean pockets with my iPhone 6+ than my iP4.  I attribute that to the larger phone size, whereas the iP4 was still a one-hand phone which didn't rub as much for me while out on the bike.

Still hoping for a rebirth of that design.  
  • Reply 19 of 25
    SujeitoSujeito Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    tshapi said:
    tshapi said:

It strikes me as odd, that for a super secret company where Tim Cook promised to double down on secrecy they appear to have become more predictable and somewhat more transparent 
    Actually, he said otherwise. He'd lay back on secrecy. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think the biggest selling main iPhone is the 4.7". If you take a ~5.1" and reduce the bezel you could end up with a device the size of the 4.7" iPhone, depending on chin and forehead—i.e. a flagship that's annoyingly too large for me. What I'd prefer to see is a 5.5" iPhone in a much smaller form and a 4.5" in a form the size of an SE.
    edited February 2017