Jaguar Shell app lets UK drivers refuel using Apple Pay from inside their car

Posted:
in iPhone
Jaguar Land Rover and Shell have collaborated on a new payment system that can be used to purchase fuel at Shell service stations without leaving the vehicle, with an app for the car's infotainment system launching in the UK with support for Apple Pay.

Once the driver's iPhone is connected to the entertainment system using USB, the Shell app will appear on the car's touchscreen. When selected on the in-car display, the app will show where the nearest Shell gas station that supports the app is located, providing navigation assistance to get there.

The driver tells the app which pump they are going to use, and after providing a security PIN to start the transaction, confirming how much they wish to spend on filling to the car. After pumping, the app will show transaction details in a receipt, including how much the fuel costs, how much fuel was pumped, the time, and the location, which is also sent to the driver's email address.

Jaguar Land Rover claims the app uses a combination of geolocation technology and a "cloud-based pre-payment check" to function, with the app seemingly not requiring any direct data connection with the gas station's local facilities. Apple Pay and PayPal wallets are currently supported by the app, with Android Pay support expected later this year.

"Making a payment directly from a car's touchscreen will make refueling quicker and easier," claims Jaguar Land Rover's Director of Connected Car and Future Technology Peter Virk. "With this new system you can choose any pump at the gas station and pay for the fuel even if you've forgotten your wallet or can't find your credit or debit card.

Virk advises Jaguar is working with other companies to provide similar payment functions for other services via the car's touchscreen. "Whether it's paying for fuel, parking, tolls, or even at a drive-through restaurant, the aim of cashless motoring is to make life easier for our customers."

The Shell app will be compatible with all Jaguar and Land Rover models that use the car manufacturer's InControl Apps system, the company claims. Available in the United Kingdom today, the app will roll out into the United States and other markets later in 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    After they use a PIN... why? Why no Touch ID? A PIN should be the secondary form of approval for those customers unable to use Touch ID.
    macxpresslostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 17
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Jaguar Land Rover and Shell have collaborated on a new payment system that can be used to purchase fuel at Shell service stations without leaving the vehicle...
    Errr...not sure how much of an advantage that might be as in most cases you have to leave the vehicle to fill up with fuel in any case! :)
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    After they use a PIN... why? Why no Touch ID? A PIN should be the secondary form of approval for those customers unable to use Touch ID.
    Yeah that defeats the entire purpose of using ApplePay. Companies just don't get this technology. 
    lostkiwijbdragonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 17
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    glynh said:
    AppleInsider said: Jaguar Land Rover and Shell have collaborated on a new payment system that can be used to purchase fuel at Shell service stations without leaving the vehicle...

Errr...not sure how much of an advantage that might be as in most cases you have to leave the vehicle to fill up with fuel in any case! :)

The driver tells the app which pump they are going to use, and after providing a security PIN to start the transaction, confirming how much they wish to spend on filling to the car. 

That and having to decide how much money you want to spend. I generally just fill it up and find out what it cost afterwards.
    edited February 2017 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    volcan said:
    glynh said:
    AppleInsider said: Jaguar Land Rover and Shell have collaborated on a new payment system that can be used to purchase fuel at Shell service stations without leaving the vehicle...

The driver tells the app which pump they are going to use, and after providing a security PIN to start the transaction, confirming how much they wish to spend on filling to the car. 

That and having to decide how much money you want to spend. I generally just fill it up and find out what it cost afterwards.
    You don't have pre-pay? All (if not nearly all) pumps in the US are pre-pay. Too many just putting fuel in their car and running off without paying. Our pumps don't even turn on until you pay (pre-authorize a payment). 
    lostkiwimike1jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    glynh said:
    Jaguar Land Rover and Shell have collaborated on a new payment system that can be used to purchase fuel at Shell service stations without leaving the vehicle...
    Not if you're at a full-serve station. This is actually cool. Right now, even at a full-serve station, I need to get out and swipe my card and then enter my pin before the attendant can even pump the gas.
    volcan said:
    glynh said:

Typically, the station gets a $75 - $100 pre-approval after you swipe the card but before you pump. Of course, you're only charged for what you pump.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    No touch ID built in to the car's touch screen. If the car is utilizing the app through CarPlay, CarPlay would need to support Touch ID. Does CarPlay provide a way for  transactions using TouchID remotely??? Never had to contemplate that before.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    macxpress said:
    volcan said:
    glynh said:

You don't have pre-pay? All (if not nearly all) pumps in the US are pre-pay. Too many just putting fuel in their car and running off without paying. Our pumps don't even turn on until you pay (pre-authorize a payment). 
    There is a whole big world outside the USA you know. Jaguars are made to sell all over the world.
    Even with "Pay at Pump" in the USA, I auth a tranaction before pumping and not knowing how much fuel I'll pump. There is no difference here.
    The whole thing with go into store, pay some arbitary ammount/leave card details, go back to pump, pump fuel, go back to store is a real PITA.
    I regularlly fill up my bike without even getting off it.
    And as for stations not taking out of state Credit Cards, that is a fine advertisment for tourists and even visitors from within the USA.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I live in NJ. I don't have to leave my car to fuel or pay. 

Cool tech though. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jungmark said:

Cool tech though. 
    Unfortunately, yes -- in NJ they force you to utilize full service gas stations, with the added costs of labor and tips that entails. Not consumer forward. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mike1 said:
    No touch ID built in to the car's touch screen. If the car is utilizing the app through CarPlay, CarPlay would need to support Touch ID. Does CarPlay provide a way for  transactions using TouchID remotely??? Never had to contemplate that before.

I don't think this is Apple CarPlay... the InControl Apps system is probably more akin to AppLink used by Ford's Sync/My Touch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jungmark said:

Cool tech though. 
    Unfortunately, yes -- in NJ they force you to utilize full service gas stations, with the added costs of labor and tips that entails. Not consumer forward. 
    Oregon is another state where all gas stations are full service. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    glynh said:
    If you own a Jag you don't stoop to something as frightfully mundane as dispensing your own petroleum dear sir. That is what the hired help is for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    macxpress said:
    volcan said:
    glynh said:

There is a whole big world outside the USA you know. Jaguars are made to sell all over the world.
    Even with "Pay at Pump" in the USA, I auth a tranaction before pumping and not knowing how much fuel I'll pump. There is no difference here.
    The whole thing with go into store, pay some arbitary ammount/leave card details, go back to pump, pump fuel, go back to store is a real PITA.
    I regularlly fill up my bike without even getting off it.
    And as for stations not taking out of state Credit Cards, that is a fine advertisment for tourists and even visitors from within the USA.
    I know there's a world outside the US. I was simply asking if they have pre-pay where he lives. 

If you pre-pay it doesn't matter how much fuel you put in. If you're trying to fill the vehicle up you keep pumping until it shuts off. If you're trying to put $20 in the tank, you still pre-pay and then let it go to $20 and stop pumping. You can also go inside the pre-pay for $20 and the pump should automatically shut off at $20 for you. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jungmark said:

Cool tech though. 
    Oregon is another state where all gas stations are full service. 
    Here in California, I haven't seen a full service station in years.  They're all self serve.  Though some places week pump your gas for you if you're handicap.  

How about just having NFC on the pump. I could then pay with my Apple Watch as I get out to pump the gas.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    glynh said:
    There are plenty of petrol stations here in Scotland that you just toot your horn and an attendant runs out and fills up for you. This would be handy in this case as you generally have to pay cash and wait for the guy to run back out with the change.
    Supermarket pumps (tesco/asda etc.) have pay-at-pump where you put your card into the pump before filling up, you can also pick an exact £ or Litre amount before you fill up - this puts a £99 hold on funds then deducts what you actually spent later on.

Shell already have pay-in-app which I've tried once and hated, open app, scan a qr-code on the pump etc. etc. meh. At least they're trying new things though!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    adm1 said:
    glynh said:
    There are plenty of petrol stations here in Scotland that you just toot your horn and an attendant runs out and fills up for you. This would be handy in this case as you generally have to pay cash and wait for the guy to run back out with the change.
    Supermarket pumps (tesco/asda etc.) have pay-at-pump where you put your card into the pump before filling up, you can also pick an exact £ or Litre amount before you fill up - this puts a £99 hold on funds then deducts what you actually spent later on.

Shell already have pay-in-app which I've tried once and hated, open app, scan a qr-code on the pump etc. etc. meh. At least they're trying new things though!
    I've used those toot your horn stations in Scotland.  I liked the way the hand cracked the pumps too!