I swear half the people here are computer addicts (including me)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I mean, why the hell else would I buy an iBook just three months after getting a dual 500 G4, which I got just five months after getting a Wallstreet? Now I'm lusting after the PowerBooks (all of 'em). I mean, of course I'm lusting after them, but why should I really need anything faster? My iBook can do so much, probably more than I could even think of. It can do the basics, like surf the internet, check email, listen to music, and do insteant messaging and IRC. I really don't do much more than that, other than a few games which I could easily give up.

So I suppose a lot of people here are power users, considering you're coming to a board about Apple technology, but I'm guessing a good half are people like me.

I'm not trying to be an Apple apologist or anything. I don't think Apple should just stop developing their products because "home users don't need all that power." But I do think probably a lot of people could get along fine with what they have now. As far as my iBook is concerned, I'll just have to see what happens. Right now I couldn't be happier with it... I can connect to the internet wirelessly, it's sturdy, it does anything I want, and the screen is awesome. Maybe I'll keep using it until it's a dinosaur, or maybe I'll endlessly pursue that which I can't have.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I think sometimes people are too crazy with this price and performance stuff. I think a computer should be judged by how it runs the applications it uses. Most people can get along fine with current offerings.

I love Apple's software offerings, the iLife suit is about to dominate my iLife and thats for sure. My iMac running at 800 Mhz with a superdrive that will cut through those iApps and then burn DVD's lickity split.

I lust for the new hardware...but I cant afford it. Lets just say if I had the money, there is nowhere else I would rather spend it. I spend a lot of time on a mac, not just to surf the net and chat but I do quite a bit of creative stuff too. I love iLife, maybe I have no life. haha, iLife is better than noLife.

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: Mr. Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I love my iBook. If I am not saving for a car, I would have upgraded my iBook for the 12" cutie PB.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Aye!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    just for the record, nothing about iDVD is "lickity split" Mr Macintosh. Even with a dual 1.25, it still takes a really long time even to burn a 6-12 minute video clip on DVD (40min - an hour).

It's easy, it's just not fast. Software encoding is exponentially slower than hardware encoding.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Luca trust me we are not as much of a computer addict as MacDudeGuy on AIM and even then some of the LEM Chat guys are pretty insane.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Heh, me too. I dont need a Cinema 23" display, but man for the price...how can i NOT get it? Plus I'll be buying a new tower when the 970 coes out, I'll just have the monitor a little early.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'll admit i am a computer addict...in the summer i was on 88hr/wk...granted 36 of those were work but still!

...its gotten even worse, my bro went back to college so i lost a computer in my room so i've re sorted to using a PC!