Apple launches new series of iPad Pro ads as anticipated hardware refresh looms

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2017
Apple on Friday released four new commercials for the iPad Pro, coming amidst several rumors that the company is planning to update the iPad lineup within a matter of months.

Each of the spots is in response a Twitter post, and make a different claim about the tablet. Three of these compare the Pro with a computer, noting for instance that it can run Microsoft Word, and "doesn't get PC viruses." Apple also suggests that it's "faster than most laptops," "has LTE like your phone," and sports a "touchscreen you can write on."

The fourth ad once again mentions LTE support, saying that you can "get internet pretty much anywhere." Only some iPad Pro models have LTE however, and Apple charges $130 extra for the technology before any monthly carrier fees.

Apple is expected to announce at least two new iPad models this spring, possibly as soon as March. One of these is an updated 12.9-inch model, but the other is rumored to be a 10.5-inch device. A third, sized at 9.7-inches, could serve as a new "budget" model featuring an A9 chip. There's no indication so far that Apple intends to refresh the iPad mini.

Stock of 2014's iPad Air 2 is beginning to run low, perhaps adding to evidence that a refresh is imminent.

Apple typically avoids new ads so close to the end of a product's lifecycle however, which might undermine rumors unless Apple is eager to clear out old units as quickly as possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    I get that they're trying to highlight just one standout feature in each ad but to me they're all too quirky, clever, cringey. Also, the twitter nods make no sense and boy, how many times do you need to say "w o r d" at the end in that fourth ad?

I just rewatched and feel that 33% of each ad isn't necessary. If you stop at 10 seconds, the message is still clear. The 5 additional seconds is just unneeded flourish. And it all feels a little defensive, like they're trying to correct incorrect impressions about lack of capabilities or, in the case of "it doesn't get PC viruses", point out something that is obvious to some and probably not the biggest selling point to the others.

One part of this article made me excited: "as anticipated hardware refresh looms". Can't wait!
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 2 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This has to be a response to the Microsoft ads they're running against Apple (The "I can't do this on my Mac" ads). These sorta remind me of the "Hello I'm a Mac" ads. Apple is pushing iPad Pro here...interesting! 

I still want to see the iPad Air 3 get updated soon with the smart connector and a smart keyboard offered like on the iPad Pro models. This will make it really compelling for many, especially schools. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 80
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why wouldn't they hold off until after new models are announced? 
  • Reply 4 of 80
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    For some reason I find the little cards they hold up against their heads rather, can't really find the right word,  icky, maybe.  Cringeworthy even.  I guess people will remember the message.
    Anyway, I am waiting with loaded credit card for the update. Ditto iMac as long as it is decent and not Ived in some use limiting way.
    iPad is my car, iMac is my truck. Please make it stay that way Apple!
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 80
    "... and not Ived in some use limiting way." "We made iMac incredibly thin and light by crafting it from a solid block of aloomim-um, including the gorgeous display, removing the inherent visual distractions of an old-time computer interface." - Jony Ive, spring 2017
    edited February 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 80
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    I know I'm old and these seem to be aimed at college kids but these ads don't send a good message.

my take away is Apple should make a touchscreen MacBook with Lte data but don't.
    i guess the message was meant to be touch interface without compromising computer programs but it just does send that message clearly. 
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Wow.  WEAK and WEAKER
  • Reply 8 of 80
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good ads; clever!

Recognise Mark Duplass's voice. Love his work. Particularly Cyrus (2010) and Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011). Both excellently written and directed.

And then there's This is John (2002) that him and his brother made for no money, literally, and shot in one 20 minute take on their Dad's camcorder and edited it down and it won best short film at Sundanece (2003, I believe) and the audience award:

It's total genius—talent.

edited February 2017 calilolliverStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 9 of 80
    cali said:
    Because new models will be later than last year's rumours suggested.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    This is good advertising. It recognises that the iPad isn't for everyone, but for most people it's going to do everything they want (and more.) Specifically what it loses from a general purpose laptop it gains in more useful abilities (e.g. speed, ease of use, convenience.)

There are always going to be ad critics in the forums, and in the face of good advertising they are always going to fail at articulating their argument. This thread has been no exception.

As for the timing: for the best results from a big launch Apple needs to counter the iPad's depressed mindshare, a simple top-of-mind reminder assists there - that's what these ads do (especially as they counter prevalent falsehoods about the iPad's abilities.)
    radarthekatcaliirelandwatto_cobraking editor the grateStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 11 of 80
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    cali said:
    I see three reasons:

One, this is a very different campaign for the iPad, with a strong emphasis on a much younger demo. It's almost an introduction to them

Two, Surface sales must be having some success, and this is response

Three, you pave the racetrack in advance of the cars arriving, and patch afterward...

edited February 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 80
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I like all but the ghost one.  

People suggest Apple should respond to its critics and here they are doing so without mentioning any critic or competitor by name.  Should they be more aggressive ala the I'm a Mac campaign?  I don't think so.  Today that would come across as being a bully.  You can get away with that when you're the underdog, but a more positive message is warranted when you're on top.  Taking on anonymous twitter quips seems a good way to set the stage for each message.  

And I think people do need to begin to see the iPad in a new light; it's not just for content consumption anymore.  As I wrote when the iPad Pro was first introduced:

iPad has always been about how the tools we use for doing work change according to the work we need to do, and that in turn changes the work we do, to take advantage of the tools available.  

In 1960, it took a roomful of people with mechanical calculators on their desks to do the work that later generations could easily perform with a spreadsheet.  But when spreadsheets and other business applications came along, the work they made possible went beyond the problem they were initially designed to solve.

iPads, and specifically the iPad Pro, is not designed to do the same work that a PC traditionally did.  Those who are suggesting the iPad Pro is a poor replacement for a PC are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  The tablet form factor has its own destiny, which will take on many, but not all the tasks of a PC, while enabling new forms of work and productivity that PCs cannot accommodate.

caliroundaboutnowquadra 610jony0
  • Reply 13 of 80
    This is good advertising. It recognises that the iPad isn't for everyone, but for most people it's going to do everything they want (and more.) Specifically what it loses from a general purpose laptop it gains in more useful abilities (e.g. speed, ease of use, convenience.)

There are always going to be ad critics in the forums, and in the face of good advertising they are always going to fail at articulating their argument. This thread has been no exception.

As for the timing: for the best results from a big launch Apple needs to counter the iPad's depressed mindshare, a simple top-of-mind reminder assists there - that's what these ads do (especially as they counter prevalent falsehoods about the iPad's abilities.)
    A growing audience for iPad that Apple seems to ignore in favor of marketing toward the young: Seniors! I've recommended iPads as replacements for at least 3 seniors and they all love them. Easier and more reliable than a PC.
    radarthekatirelandtmaywatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 80

iPad has always been about how the tools we use for doing work change according to the work we need to do, and that in turn changes the work we do, to take advantage of the tools available.  

While I know what you are trying to say, not quite. People adopt tools because they help them do the work they want better. They don't adopt tools that force themselves to do work a different way. Help is not the same as force.

The iPad is limited by imposed constraints in iOS. A few changes to iOS with new APIs could fix that and actually turn it into a productivity tool.  The most important is a file manager to improve access to files. Those things workers use and share around. A file manager makes possible even very simple things like putting more than one file in an email. Pretty important for work don't you think? There are other simple things too, like windowing which with a bit of thought could work too. 

Microsoft has based itself on its strengths and is working Surface backwards from a PC towards a productivity tablet. Of course that means as a tablet it isn't that good in comparison to an iPad. Apple is working from a very good tablet and working toward a replacement for the PC. At a snail's pace.
    I reckon though that Apple could turn iPad into a great productivity tool more easily than Microsoft can shoehorn windows 10 and an Intel chip into a lightweight tablet. IOS will always have a better interface for tablet use. But there is no reason iOS can't become a desktop class OS, built from the ground up for touch input and widely used lightweight applications.
    edited February 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 80
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    entropys said:

While I know what you are trying to say, not quite. People adopt tools because they help them do the work they want better. They don't adopt tools that force themselves to do work a different way. Help is not the same as force.

The iPad is limited by imposed constraints in iOS. A few changes to iOS with new APIs could fix that and actually turn it into a productivity tool.  The most important is a file manager to improve access to files. Those things workers use and share around. A file manager makes possible even very simple things like putting more than one file in an email. Pretty important for work don't you think? There are other simple things too, like windowing which with a bit of thought could work too. 

Microsoft has based itself on its strengths and is working Surface backwards from a PC towards a productivity tablet. Of course that means as a tablet it isn't that good in comparison to an iPad. Apple is working from a very good tablet and working toward a replacement for the PC. At a snail's pace.
    I reckon though that Apple could turn iPad into a great productivity tool more easily than Microsoft can shoehorn windows 10 and an Intel chip into a lightweight tablet. IOS will always have a better interface for tablet use. But there is no reason iOS can't become a desktop class OS, built from the ground up for touch input and widely used lightweight applications.
    There are already file manager apps you can put on your ipad like Document5, they mostly can do what you want done with recent changes in IOS.
    Of course, Apple could integrate these functions into the OS, but you'll never get anything more than an abstracted view of storage and never anything like you have on Windows.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 80
    Not going to stop the knuckleheads who swear no one wants iPads anymore. There will be plenty more articles about the non-stop sales decline of new iPads because EVERYONE is buying Microsoft Surface Pro devices. Endless blah, blah, blah as to why Apple even bothers to produce iPads anymore.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 80
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    entropys said:

I'm not speaking to the way an individual approaches a new tool, but rather the way it is adopted by whole new populations of users.  An individual who was manually updating ledger entries in an accounting department would likely use a spreadsheet to make that process a lot easier, but might not use the spreadsheet for other purposes.  It others, who aren't tied to a legacy use case might see the spreadsheet as a new tool with new purposes.

Those who used a PC to surf the web or read will immediately see the iPad as a better tool, as its portable and can be used in more comfortable positions, like laying on the sofa as I am now with mine.  But those who were using a PC to write novels or to run Quicken might not see the iPad as an enhanced means of performing that work.  It's a third set of users who might find entirely new use cases for the iPad, use cases that take advantage of its portability and particular user interaction model, that offer distinct advantages over a PC.  Adoption of iPads by cockpit crew of major airlines is a good example.  The many emerging apps being developed under the Apple/IBM partnership include other examples..  The iPad will find its own path. 
  • Reply 18 of 80

Very well said. Especially paragraph 2.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    That is true. Hopefully this is positioning for the next big ipad leap.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Not going to stop the knuckleheads who swear no one wants iPads anymore. There will be plenty more articles about the non-stop sales decline of new iPads because EVERYONE is buying Microsoft Surface Pro devices. Endless blah, blah, blah as to why Apple even bothers to produce iPads anymore.
    Year over year numbers are down for several reasons (but still outsell Macs 2:1). People keep them a while as phones are expensive, but I also think it's because Apple haven't made iPads appealing enough.

I believe it was a mistake on Apple's part to keep 16 GB as the base model for so long as 16 GB is too small storage for the device and it was an upsell tactic—not a tactic to make the best device and the best experience—Schiller and Apple's worst trait.

iPad mini 2 shouldn't be on their store on in their stores. They should simplify the lineup entirely and sell iPad mini 4 ($399/$449) and iPad Pro 9.7" ($599/$649/$749). Both should start at 64 GB, then 128 GB for $50 extra and then 256 GB in the Pros—same numbers in €. Add 150 for all 12.9" models. This means no matter which device users would buy they get a great device and better value. And all iPads should work with Apple Pencil and have good cameras with flashes. iPad Pro would justify its nomaclature with its larger canvas area, four speakeras and a Smart Connector with keyboard options—and keyboards should be $99 and $129 for the larger.

That should have been Apple's 2016 iPad lineup. No more Air 2, no more mini 2. With more affordable best in class models, starting at a healthy 64 GB.
    edited February 2017